Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cold comfort

TheMarshall

[attachment 179917 P1050515_4.JPG]​

It's a damp, cold evening here in the UK and I'm just browsing some of my summer photos taken whilst out detecting with the V3.

The attached picture was taken by me when I needed to hide from the mid-day sun. It was just too hot to detect.

A boring scene visually, but beneath those clumps of brown earth lays 2000 years of Roman everyday losses.

Tough detecting due to moderately high mineralisation, (source, oolite).

But if you've got the balls for it, a very exciting challenge.

Still, a comfy chair under a wide colorful umbrella, and a cup of hot tea......just the medicine for mad dogs and an Englishman.

So folks......

Keep dreaming during the coming cold winter, and show us a picture or two from your summer work-outs.....TheMarshall

TheMarshall,

Would you grid that field using a gps or some sort of system that would remind you where you've detected?

David di

david.di said:
TheMarshall,

Would you grid that field using a gps or some sort of system that would remind you where you've detected?

David di

Hell David, and thanks for the reply.

David, we presently don't plot our finds using GPS, instead we simply plot by visual references we create ourselves

on a Google satellite picture or map. That may sound like a sloppy method but believe me, it is sufficient for our needs.

The vast field you see in the picture is a manifestation of the myriad of small fields that individuals would have owned or 'worked' centuries ago.

Modern farming methods have robbed us of the hedge-rows that delineated those smaller allotments of land.

Experience makes you take note of the changes in soil colours that indicate the intensity of any particularly well cultivated areas.

You correlate that with finds evidence, and build up a rough understanding of farming activities and the possibility of focusing your searches.

But, the yearly ploughing can change the chances of finds availability, even in spots that were good the previous season.

So generally, one should not be too dogmatic about "Search here, and ignore there", for that could lose you the opportunity of some chance losses

not associated with the residential land working.

I think that the great motivation of metal detecting as a hobby, lies in the dream that you can find something exciting, anywhere.

The guy that digs more often, despite the 'numbers' suggesting 'not to', will always do better than the 'Rejectorist'.

Remember, always focus your decisions to dig, on the audio first, after a 360 degree scan, and the individual number, secondly.

Well David, I hope you have some good finds. We all need a share of Good Luck as much as anything else, so "All the best"......TheMarshall

TheMarshall,

In the U.K., the field ploughing you refer to is that complete soil "disking"(earth turn-over) or surface till? Here in USA, the common practice is surface tilling and rarely is the soil completely turned over by disking. In some fields I have hunted in Indiana they surely would produce some more nice finds if they had been disked on an annual basis.
One field in particular I have hunted has not been disked for over 7 years and the finds have vanished.:cry:

p.s. I don't really see anything boring about your view, that country side looks quite inviting and is very picturesque.