Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coming Back to FBS

Fletch88

I've been thinking about trading an MXT-Pro for a mint Safari with plenty of warranty. I have an MX-5 that honestly I prefer over the MXT. I have had the Etrac and the CTX and sold them for various reasons. My question is about the Safari's relic and all metal mode. Is it basically like using TTF on the Etrac? I know the coin/coin &Jewery mode sounds almost identical to the Etrac and uses conductive vs ferrous.

My question is why did you dump the eTrac and CTX. If you weren't happy with them, I doubt youd be happy with the Safari.

It wasn't that I wasn't happy with either actually. I went through some life changes and moved twice and was unable to detect for a while.

Fletch, the relic mode is somewhat like two tone ferrous on an Etrac. I hunt in a modified all metal mode with conductive sounds. I seem to get many 39-40 high tones that repeat from different angles. After digging many of these deep signals, I found them to be rusty nails and such. I started checking them in the stock all metal mode which has ferrous sounds and they grunted like iron. If they high toned and did not grunt, I dug them and most proved to be deeper coins. I really like the Safari and if someone does not want to mess with a lot of settings, the Safari is a very simple FBS version. I have found it to have almost identical performance to a Ex 11 or SE Pro. I do miss having a gain adjustment, but with twenty hours or so in the field, I will say it is a very simple to use detector. I had one of the first Quattros and I did not like it's recovery speed in trashy areas. The Safari is a way faster and that translates into a better all around detector.

Thanks RLOH. I think I will like it fine. I didn't really care for all the various settings on the Etrac even though I read and understood Andy S. book I just seemed to always be fiddling around with different settings vs coil to ground time! Mainly just looking for the high squeal on silver and clad in conductive mode and a decent 2 tone relic mode.

Fletch, for what you are looking for, I think the Safari would be for you. You'll have to deal with some buttons in your initial setup, but after that, you can select from 4 programs and just go hunt. The Safari is an absolute silver hound ime. If you can get your coil over it, it will let you know.

I personally prefer the simplicity of the Safari. Having said that, some guy's (and gals)!! enjoy the extra features that the Etrac, CTX and other detectors offer but for me, as long as I can detect deep, get good separation, get the wide array of sounds/signals (FBS) and last but not least, find the gold and silver, I'm a happy camper! My only wish is that the Safari came with a back lit screen like the Etrac. I still haven't got around to fixing that yet:biggrin:

I have been dying to by a new detector for the last 5 years,money is not a problem,I have a friend that buys every new detector that comes out and I get to play with them.There are no detectors out there at this time that are better than Safari, some are equal,but not better.I played with the new Racer for 20 or so hours on spots that I hit with Safari only found 2 coins.I like the detector but not worth me buying one.I like vibrating handle and poacher light.

Thanks for all the responses. I feel the Safari will do what I want it to do without all the bells and whistles of the Etrac /CTX. I use 2 dedicated water machines for water detecting and scuba. I never felt comfortable with the ctx in water since the battery oring design is too dainty and thin. Not to mention all the screens blacking out issues. Anyway thanks again.

GS, I am one of those who likes the bells and whistles of the CTX but I still have a soft spot for my Safari. My only minor complaints are that the processor is slower than the CTX/eTrac and the lack of a backlight. I solved the later for dark use with a LED booklite that you can bend to any angle like a snake.

Prep: 'poacher light'; I like that term.

Fletch, be sure to keep us posted on your new Safari when you get it. (and I agree re CTX and water. I'm going to do the seal upgrades and still wont intentionally dunk it- that's what Excals are for)