Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

compadre 8 or 5.5"

PostalTwo

hi folks im looking for a new dectector for my wife as ive been lucky enough that she is hooked now on mding. she started out with my kids bountyunter junior, which for those that dont know i one tone and sounds like all metal mode on most machines. she likes to hear the raw audio on targets in the ground. she especially loves the weird sounds that some targets make like and s shaped hook she found it just sounded neat. she does not care what she finds she is just out for the fun, and is content to use her bh jr but its only 3 ft long and id like to upgrade her to a "big girl machine" some thing that she can use comfortably. so does the compadre provide this type of sound? if yes what would be better the 8 or 5.5? i know the 8 is deeper but would the 5.5 be deep enough? basically just looking for the pluses and minuses i know the basics of metal detection im just looking for the things that only a user would know. i want to make sure that i buy something thats a good fit for her thanks guys

PostalTwo said:
hi folks im looking for a new dectector for my wife as ive been lucky enough that she is hooked now on mding. she started out with my kids bountyunter junior, which for those that dont know i one tone and sounds like all metal mode on most machines. she likes to hear the raw audio on targets in the ground. she especially loves the weird sounds that some targets make like and s shaped hook she found it just sounded neat. she does not care what she finds she is just out for the fun, and is content to use her bh jr but its only 3 ft long and id like to upgrade her to a "big girl machine" some thing that she can use comfortably. so does the compadre provide this type of sound? if yes what would be better the 8 or 5.5? i know the 8 is deeper but would the 5.5 be deep enough? basically just looking for the pluses and minuses i know the basics of metal detection im just looking for the things that only a user would know. i want to make sure that i buy something thats a good fit for her thanks guys

This has one tone also but it is a beautiful one and that tone actually has a full and expressive language that is very intuitive the more you use it and get to understand it.
The 5.75 is great for trashy areas, both are because they are similar in rapid recovery and target separation, but in heavy trash the small one would be a bit easier to deal with.
If wide open areas are more common for her to hunt the larger coil is better to cover ground faster.
The 5,75" should go plenty deep to find the bulk of what we search for out there.
It can be set to knock out any trash level you want and then dig everything that beeps above that, or it can be used like I use mine and manipulate the one knob to pretty accurately figure out most targets.
Light as a feather, very productive, responsive as heck and an all out blast to use, there is a reason a whole religion has built up around this one.

thanks very much for your response. we have watched a few vids of the compadre and the tone does sound nice. its the only machine she hasnt dismissed yet lol . she said that one sounds nice :) . but its ugly lol . i showed her the outlaw and it was " too many knobs and i dont like that! so it looks like the compadre is gonna be a good fit for her maybe ill paint it pink or somethin and buy some stick on rinestones lol cheers

I've had the 8 inch since December and it's been a great unit. It's easier for me to pinpoint with the donut style coil than the solid one. Just be careful you don't use it or you'll be buying two of them.

JMC said:
I've had the 8 inch since December and it's been a great unit. It's easier for me to pinpoint with the donut style coil than the solid one. Just be careful you don't use it or you'll be buying two of them.
lol im gonna use it for sure. i currently swing non tesoro but ive got my eye on an outlaw and im interested to see whats its like using a tesoro time will tell i guess thanks for your input cheers

8",5.75"or the older 7" coils are all good by me and I don't really feel you could go wrong with any of them.

Now we have a problem here. You said you want one for your wife. You can only use your old timer detector. We want your wife to find ALL the good things. Your wife can belong to the Church Of The Compadre. You fave to sit in the back row. You dont get donuts and coffee either. Buy your own Compadre. She will love it. It is very light and a lot of fun to use... KEN,,IND.

ken ward said:
Now we have a problem here. You said you want one for your wife. You can only use your old timer detector. We want your wife to find ALL the good things. Your wife can belong to the Church Of The Compadre. You fave to sit in the back row. You dont get donuts and coffee either. Buy your own Compadre. She will love it. It is very light and a lot of fun to use... KEN,,IND.
lmao u know what i hope she does find all the good things :) . im thinking ill prob end up with a tesoro unit of my own. im just not sure if its for me or not. for my lady its all she has used so thats where her comfort level is he hates my tone id vid unit lol. so wee will see. guess ill be sittin in the corner with my dunce cap on. cheers :)

I like both coils but I prefer mine with the 9x8 concentric. Its found me a nice pile of rings last summer.