Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

COMPADRE in all metal

ken ward

I went to a very big tot lot. I looked at a spot adout 50' x 50'. Set the compadre on all metal and said to my self, dig it all. I hunted slowly and over laped my swings. The first hit was a small titaneum ring. Than gods of tin foil wrapers. Some coins. Than another ring. The first thing I saw on the ring was diamonds. It turned out to be junk. Went on for a while digging more foil and a few tabs. Than out pops a nice ankle chain with a few charms on it. By this time my back was starting to kill me. It hurt to get down and it was hell trying to get back up. So I called it a day. It is hard getting older. Time to take a nap... KEN,, Ind.

What advantage if any do you gain by using AM in a tots lot ??? surely using a minimum amount would have produced the same decent finds but in theory would have left some of the trash,would have been easier on the back as well.Prehaps i may be missing the point of the exercise.

Mega said:
What advantage if any do you gain by using AM in a tots lot ??? surely using a minimum amount would have produced the same decent finds but in theory would have left some of the trash,would have been easier on the back as well.Prehaps i may be missing the point of the exercise.

Mega, fine gold and silver chains are detected better with the lower discrimination setting. The Compadre's ED180 will take it down into all-metal. There are not many detectors at any price can match the Compadre's ability to detect fine gold chains, none in it's price range.

Ken I tip my hat to you.:thumbup: You found some really good stuff and have a fairly decent trash pile

tabman

tabman said:
Mega said:

Mega, fine gold and silver chains are detected better with the lower discrimination setting. The Compadre's ED180 will take it down into all-metal. There are not many detectors at any price can match the Compadre's ability to detect fine gold chains, none in it's price range.

Ken I tip my hat to you.:thumbup: You found some really good stuff and have a fairly decent trash pile

tabman
Yes, what tabman said about the disc. It will get the tiny gold chains better. I wanted you to feel good that I find trash too.

This tot lot is hugh. I will go back their to hunt some more. I do turn my disc knob to see where things go out, but, I still dig. Some day I will have that small gold chain to show ya all that we can find them... KEN..Ind.

Was a guy who posted here a while back, tabdog, who found and incredible number of the tiniest earring posts hunting with a Compadre in all metal, mostly in tot lots. The tenths of grams of 10K and 14K studs added up to quickly pay for his Compadres many times over. He'd dig a pile of trash too, but was rewarded with small gold that most people with most detectors would miss every time the coil went over these kinds of targets because of the discrimination used or the detector was not sensitive enough to the very small targets (or both).

One of my favorite beach detectors (CZ6a) does not hit, even in all metal, on some of the very tiny pieces or on very thin gold chains. Less digging of trash, but I know there are some good things missed too. Part of the trade-offs of this hobby.
Cheers,
tvr

well done :biggrin: if I find myself asking a question about getting down then its time to go home, after all isn't that why I am there :unsure:

so hope you had a good rest,

AJ

When I get enough clad save up with the vaquero Im buying a compadre. I just dont find a lot of modern coins. Maybe i can sell a 1914 d penny to pay for it.

Ken , I take two ibuprofen before going out . I can stay a little bit longer then .

Ken you have comforted me " I am not the only one who digs in all metal . i know what you are saying about getting up it wears me out , what i do is bring a 5 gal bucket and i use my arms on it to lift myself up along with my legs and it helps - I will say this if you can't sleep at night just go detecting and stoop up and down 40 times or more and you will sleep like a baby - you came close to a good one .

I try to hunt the tot lots at the r in iron. That is brave to try all metal. I might do that if I had more time to hunt. I found a 14k ring once with diamonds on it in a tot lot digging on the r in iron on my compadre. When I dug it out I thought probably just a fake, because it has happened before. Then I looked inside and it said 14k. I got all kinds of excited. When I got home I looked at it closer. It turned out to be real. Later I tried checking at what point it cut out on the disc and it was right at foil. Now I hunt all tot lots at the r in iron or lower, havent found anything like that again in the tot lot, but one can hope. The compadre is my only tot lot hunter now in lower discriminate modes. Found a whole lot of change and other things with it. It pays to go low disc and dig all. HH

hatpin said:
When I get enough clad save up with the vaquero Im buying a compadre. I just dont find a lot of modern coins. Maybe i can sell a 1914 d penny to pay for it.

Ken , I take two ibuprofen before going out . I can stay a little bit longer then .
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the reminder. It might help... KEN. Ind.

Dirtdigger33 said:
I try to hunt the tot lots at the r in iron. That is brave to try all metal. I might do that if I had more time to hunt. I found a 14k ring once with diamonds on it in a tot lot digging on the r in iron on my compadre. When I dug it out I thought probably just a fake, because it has happened before. Then I looked inside and it said 14k. I got all kinds of excited. When I got home I looked at it closer. It turned out to be real. Later I tried checking at what point it cut out on the disc and it was right at foil. Now I hunt all tot lots at the r in iron or lower, havent found anything like that again in the tot lot, but one can hope. The compadre is my only tot lot hunter now in lower discriminate modes. Found a whole lot of change and other things with it. It pays to go low disc and dig all. HH
Them gold rings sound good at your settings. The gold chains will be diced out at them settings. Yes, I dig a lot of foil and tiny pieces of crap. I will also find them chains... KEN. Ind.

That's why I always set mine to just reject a hairpin or paper clip. Found a ball point pen refill by the metal ball or maybe the metal retaining clip on the refill!

All of you had best stop talking about this. Tesoro is going to figure out they made the Compadre a little TOO good and start charging a lot more for it.

Miser67 said:
All of you had best stop talking about this. Tesoro is going to figure out they made the Compadre a little TOO good and start charging a lot more for it.
That is why I have two of them... KEN. Ind.

Hey Ken, looks like you made a nice bunch of finds. Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your back, hope it gets better soon. With me it's the shoulders and elbows that have "gone south".
Once in a while I run the Compadre in all metal, but normally I turn the disc up a bit. I have a couple of farms that I hunt and they are just loaded with all kinds of "rusty bits of who knows what". So I tend to turn up the disc just to cut down on the less desirable targets that seem so abundent in these areas. I might be missing out on some goodies but I think I need to get a better set of headphones to help me hear the slight differences between the targets. Good luck, and keep us posted on that tot lot, and again I hope your back gets better soon. HH.

Jeff

ken ward said:
Them gold rings sound good at your settings. The gold chains will be diced out at them settings. Yes, I dig a lot of foil and tiny pieces of crap. I will also find them chains... KEN. Ind.

Hey Ken, where exactly do you have your Compadre dial pointing at?

When you first turn the Compadre on there is a bit of room under the words " All Metal " or do you have it set just above the words " All Metal "?

Hotdawg said:
ken ward said:

Hey Ken, where exactly do you have your Compadre dial pointing at?

When you first turn the Compadre on there is a bit of room under the words " All Metal " or do you have it set just above the words " All Metal "?
j
I try to set it right on all metal. I have run it under the all metal. I dont know if that helps or not. I dont have a way to test it that low. I guess you could run it that low, than turn the dial up to see where it goes out. I do that a lot to see if I can guess what I am about to dig up.... KEN. Ind.

jazzman58 said:
Hey Ken, looks like you made a nice bunch of finds. Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your back, hope it gets better soon. With me it's the shoulders and elbows that have "gone south".
Once in a while I run the Compadre in all metal, but normally I turn the disc up a bit. I have a couple of farms that I hunt and they are just loaded with all kinds of "rusty bits of who knows what". So I tend to turn up the disc just to cut down on the less desirable targets that seem so abundent in these areas. I might be missing out on some goodies but I think I need to get a better set of headphones to help me hear the slight differences between the targets. Good luck, and keep us posted on that tot lot, and again I hope your back gets better soon. HH.

Jeff
There are times I have to turn up the disc when it is full of rusty junk... KEN. Ind.