Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre in competition?

slingshot

Has anyone used a Compadre in a treasure hunt? I seem to recover stuff pretty fast with it- pinpointing is a!most instant and I don't see targets being deeper than 4".

I have an old 7" coiled Compadre and have hunted in several seeded hunts and did quite well. Very lightweight, and there is no need for a pinpoint button. I stuck a round quarter size piece of flourscent oranqe tape on the top center of the coil for easy pin pointing. I wouldn't hesitate using it in a competition hunt. IMHO.

roceda said:
I have an old 7" coiled Compadre and have hunted in several seeded hunts and did quite well. Very lightweight, and there is no need for a pinpoint button. I stuck a round quarter size piece of flourscent oranqe tape on the top center of the coil for easy pin pointing. I wouldn't hesitate using it in a competition hunt. IMHO.
Thanks. I kept noticing on my park hunts I was retrieving finds much faster than with other machine/coil combos. I have also developed my "eye spot" pinpoint method which locates pretty much on the second sweep.

I find with my Vaquero I recover way more targets per hour than with my MX Sport. I dug 72 coins in 2.5 hours yesterday. Truly "beep and dig" without wasting time listening for various tones and seeing where the numbers are on the screen.

dan b said:
I find with my Vaquero I recover way more targets per hour than with my MX Sport. I dug 72 coins in 2.5 hours yesterday. Truly "beep and dig" without wasting time listening for various tones and seeing where the numbers are on the screen.
I have the MX5 and it's not so much checking the value of the target as more precise pinpointing. The Compadre gives me that and the Tesoro "talk" sorta helps eliminate frivolous targets. I noticed most time is wasted at hunts locating the target. I think recovery speed will make up for coil size.

Seriously?
My 7" coil Compadre was THE weapon of choice for the three club hunts I participated in when I lived in Kansas.
Nothing is deep in seeded hunts but because there are so many out there hunting you have about 20 minutes to gather up as many targets as possible so speed is of the essence...speed in retrieval techniques and speed in moving around the hunt site.
Logically the lightest most maneuverable tool you have should be considered for this task, or I always thought so, anyway.

Our hunts had buried copper cents, Mexican cents, silver dimes and over 100 special stamped number and painted tokens made from copper cents and those were what you really needed to find to get the prizes.
Some got none of these tokens, some got more and I averaged about 5 per hunt which got me the loot you see below.
Included in that pile is a $150+ Bill Babbs travel scoop, a $60 31" Sampson shovel, a whole season on DVD of a treasure hunting show, a few large silver coins, (the Mexican coin is the largest silver coin ever minted), a one ounce round, books including that great civil war reference book, proof sets, tons of Indians, wheats and enough silver coins that paid for most of my entry fees for the next year's hunt.
Not pictured are a bunch of other prizes, display cases, coins and more.
My little ol' Compadre found me several hundreds of dollars worth of prizes, dollar for dollar value as a seeded hunt tool for me there was nothing better.

Of course you need to take advantage of the light weight and solid tones, I practiced before these hunts on getting the coins out of the ground as quick as possible and I got good at grabbing my little C and getting it swinging in front of me before I stood up fully and moved forward.
I tried a little camera pouch to the bottom of my leg with the zipper open on top, I never bent down to dig but only bent over at the waist and when I dug a target I dropped it in that pouch and got the coil moving before I even stood up.
In this kind of event even an extra half second it might take you to throw targets in a pocket or pouch can add up and cost you time and targets so everything I did was an effort to waste as little time as possible and cut corners everywhere I could.
The more area the coil covers the more targets you will find...it is all about that math.

No matter how fast you swing over targets with this tool you will get a signal so the speed of the detector matters in these hunts, too, and the Compadre is more than fast enough.
I saw a few members literally running around the hunt site swinging super fast using other detectors but not stopping much to dig.
I followed behind them and found a bunch of targets including a few prize tokens they missed because they were moving their coil too fast and not getting any signals to alert them.
Using a Compadre this just won't happen.

Check out the pics, I moved away from my club a few years ago and haven't participated in another one since and I now have an arsenal that includes that Compadre plus a Mojave, an F2, an F70 with a bunch of coils from tiny to large and a Nox with 2 coils but rest assured If I ever enter another in the future my Compadre will still get the call.

slingshot said:
I have the MX5 and it's not so much checking the value of the target as more precise pinpointing.

You're correct. With Tesoros pinpointing isn't really necessary. The MXS, although a great detector IMO, isn't as sharp and crisp with the audio as any Tesoro.

REVIER said:
Seriously?
My 7" coil Compadre was THE weapon of choice for the three club hunts I participated in when I lived in Kansas.
Nothing is deep in seeded hunts but because there are so many out there hunting you have about 20 minutes to gather up as many targets as possible so speed is of the essence...speed in retrieval techniques and speed in moving around the hunt site.
Logically the lightest most maneuverable tool you have should be considered for this task, or I always thought so, anyway.

Our hunts had buried copper cents, Mexican cents, silver dimes and over 100 special stamped number and painted tokens made from copper cents and those were what you really needed to find to get the prizes.
Some got none of these tokens, some got more and I averaged about 5 per hunt which got me the loot you see below.
Included in that pile is a $150+ Bill Babbs travel scoop, a $60 31" Sampson shovel, a whole season on DVD of a treasure hunting show, a few large silver coins, (the Mexican coin is the largest silver coin ever minted), a one ounce round, books including that great civil war reference book, proof sets, tons of Indians, wheats and enough silver coins that paid for most of my entry fees for the next year's hunt.
Not pictured are a bunch of other prizes, display cases, coins and more.
My little ol' Compadre found me several hundreds of dollars worth of prizes, dollar for dollar value as a seeded hunt tool for me there was nothing better.

Of course you need to take advantage of the light weight and solid tones, I practiced before these hunts on getting the coins out of the ground as quick as possible and I got good at grabbing my little C and getting it swinging in front of me before I stood up fully and moved forward.
I tried a little camera pouch to the bottom of my leg with the zipper open on top, I never bent down to dig but only bent over at the waist and when I dug a target I dropped it in that pouch and got the coil moving before I even stood up.
In this kind of event even an extra half second it might take you to throw targets in a pocket or pouch can add up and cost you time and targets so everything I did was an effort to waste as little time as possible and cut corners everywhere I could.
The more area the coil covers the more targets you will find...it is all about that math.

No matter how fast you swing over targets with this tool you will get a signal so the speed of the detector matters in these hunts, too, and the Compadre is more than fast enough.
I saw a few members literally running around the hunt site swinging super fast using other detectors but not stopping much to dig.
I followed behind them and found a bunch of targets including a few prize tokens they missed because they were moving their coil too fast and not getting any signals to alert them.
Using a Compadre this just won't happen.

Check out the pics, I moved away from my club a few years ago and haven't participated in another one since and I now have an arsenal that includes that Compadre plus a Mojave, an F2, an F70 with a bunch of coils from tiny to large and a Nox with 2 coils but rest assured If I ever enter another in the future my Compadre will still get the call.[/quote
Always enjoyed your Tesoro posts but never knew you used one in competition. Back when the very first International Treasure Hunt occurred, I attended the little prehunt classes and I used the pouch tied to the bottom of the leg-one of my favorite memories. I just kept noticing in my daily hunts I wasn't gaining that much time using a large coil and sometimes preferred the Compadre.

I agree about using the compare. I have interest many hunts. Most of them are in northern Indiana on the Lake Michigan beachside.
I used a small hand scoop with the holes in it. My pouch was a mesh wire basket that fastened to my belt. I hit a beep, scooped in the sand and dumped in my basket. The sand run out the basket and there was the item. A few seconds and go for the next target. No time to waist. The compare always done me very well. Also , I would see some of the other hunters having trouble with detector interference, That is when detectors on the same frequency get close to each other. With my little C, I never had any trouble..
Good luck and just enjoy yourself... KEN

ken ward said:
I agree about using the compare. I have interest many hunts. Most of them are in northern Indiana on the Lake Michigan beachside.
I used a small hand scoop with the holes in it. My pouch was a mesh wire basket that fastened to my belt. I hit a beep, scooped in the sand and dumped in my basket. The sand run out the basket and there was the item. A few seconds and go for the next target. No time to waist. The compare always done me very well. Also , I would see some of the other hunters having trouble with detector interference, That is when detectors on the same frequency get close to each other. With my little C, I never had any trouble..
Good luck and just enjoy yourself... KEN

That basket on your belt, that's purdy good there Ken.

The compadre is terriffic My friend uses one and I used Whites DFX with bigfoot coil and he could beat me on occasion

How is the Compadre with cross talk in a seeded hunt ? I've been using an old fisher 1260 with an outboard frequency shifter for seeded hunts. No problem with cross talk. Just turn the switch. The last hunt I used a NOX 800, no problem. On one hunt I took an Explorer xs ,all I heard was, get that machine away from me ! That was the first & last time I took it to a seeded hunt LOL
Matt

I never had any issues...not one.

sniffitout said:
How is the Compadre with cross talk in a seeded hunt ? I've been using an old fisher 1260 with an outboard frequency shifter for seeded hunts. No problem with cross talk. Just turn the switch. The last hunt I used a NOX 800, no problem. On one hunt I took an Explorer xs ,all I heard was, get that machine away from me ! That was the first & last time I took it to a seeded hunt LOL
Matt
Glad you asked. Revier's answer pretty much makes up my mind.

I use my Vaquero with the 11x 8 coil on a seeded hunt on the beach. There are a lot of people using Google their Comparde. They are very good in the dry sand. The first time I used my Vaq in the hunt I used the 9x8 coil and had problems. The larger coil is a little harder to pinpoint and I was thinking about using the 5 3/4 coil to speed things up. I bought the Tesoro because I saw a lot of people using them in hunts. a lot of better hunters use Troys.