Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre, is it the detector or the coil or both?

The Magician

I'm having lots of fun with my Compadre, it performs really well. It makes me wonder if it's the detector or the coil or both? If you put a 5.75 concentric on a HOT or Micromax, will they perform the same?

H.O.T. coils will not work on micromax machines.

As to the coil/control box question, they work in tandem.

The Compadre is one of the funnest machines I ever used.

I have heard great things about the 5.75 coil with any of the Tesoro machines. I will be getting one for my cibola in a few weeks. Knowing how much I enjoy my compadre, I can't wait.

It's the DETECTOR. I have found tiny gold chains WHILE discriminating out bobby pins and tried to detect it in ALL METAL with the same 5.75" coil on my Silver umax in and would only receive a scratch in the speaker with the chain ROLLED UP IN A BALL and RUBBING it on the coil. The only other detector I found that would come close (that I own) was a '60's Garrett BFO w/3" coil.

The Compadre works great & is a blast to use. I think it is a combination of the coil the frequency and the circuitry.

For anyone covering ground that has lots of targets and a trash, I'd recommend picking up one of the 5.75 inch coils that fit the series of detector you have. I have a concentric and it does extremely well separating targets in very trashy areas.
Cheers,
tvr

Smaller coils are much more sensitive to smaller objects.
The compadre runs at 12 KHZ's which makes it more sensitive to gold and the lower conductive metals.
It is the only detector Tesoro makes at 12 KHZ.
I have dug coins at up to 7" with mine. It has the 5.75.
It is truly a winning Combo.
The 5.75 is one great coil to use on any detector.

slingshot said:
It's the DETECTOR. I have found tiny gold chains WHILE discriminating out bobby pins and tried to detect it in ALL METAL with the same 5.75" coil on my Silver umax in and would only receive a scratch in the speaker with the chain ROLLED UP IN A BALL and RUBBING it on the coil. The only other detector I found that would come close (that I own) was a '60's Garrett BFO w/3" coil.

The silver runs at 10.6 KHZ's which is not quite as sensitive to lower conductive metals.
A good jewelry detector is at it's best in the 15 to 18 KHZ's.
But remember, the higher the KHZ's, the less depth you will get in hotter ground and will tend to lose stability.

Hmm,,,, I just got one and seriously it won't shut up.... even with the knob all the way to max it still picks up on every nail or little piece of iron and nothing at all, I had to cover that speaker because it was gettng so annoying? constantly beeps and beeps and no target there..... not sure if its the ground because I'm suspecting its clean fill they used to level the yard years ago .. the air test seemed okay but not as deep as other tesoro's maybe 6" for nickel, dime, penny, and 8" for the quarter. also my grass is long and it poured out in the morning and to me and my wife it seemed to be giving off very strong signals when it hit blades of grass becuase there would be a bare section of ground with say two seperate clumps of grass and the machine would signal a strong beep right when it hit those clumps and I was swinging it very easy and I think normal swing speed based on videos I watched ,, it was like every clump had a quarter an inch under it and I said to my wife this machine wants me to rip my whole lawn apart ha ha....

near the shrubs I did find 3 old rusty nails at about 6 and 7" and some old car part at about 10" and a brass end to a cable plug at about 5" and the discrim was at the Max setting so I would of thought these items would not of even signaled so loud,, I think 10 other strong signals I dug down 8 to 10" and found nothing but dirt, small stones and sand. and the machine the whole time kept giving off a loud bright signals same as it did on the ground air test,,,, also when you went back over the whole and the sections of dirt that came out of it the machine signaled on the hole and the different sections of dirt leading me to believe the dirt was maybe too mineralized or contaminated I don't know but the machine was at Max and wish it would past max to everything even silver to see if it would stop beeping then.

I'll try it in a diffrerent area and see what it does,,,,, my wife has a brandnew F2 coming tomorrow because she wanted a screen on her model and I have a used vaquero coming next week.. I passed on the outlaw to save some money and learn a bit first because when I really get to know what I'm doing I may want to focus on beaches or maybe coins only so theres other machines for that yes Tesoros and even other brands I may want to consider so I want to spend my my money on the right things,,,,,,, look at it like this if I'm having problems using a compadre I shouldn't go anywhere near the outlaw ha ha ha..

Tajue17 @ Home said:
Hmm,,,, I just got one and seriously it won't shut up.... even with the knob all the way to max it still picks up on every nail or little piece of iron and nothing at all, I had to cover that speaker because it was gettng so annoying? constantly beeps and beeps and no target there..... not sure if its the ground because I'm suspecting its clean fill they used to level the yard years ago .. the air test seemed okay but not as deep as other tesoro's maybe 6" for nickel, dime, penny, and 8" for the quarter. also my grass is long and it poured out in the morning and to me and my wife it seemed to be giving off very strong signals when it hit blades of grass becuase there would be a bare section of ground with say two seperate clumps of grass and the machine would signal a strong beep right when it hit those clumps and I was swinging it very easy and I think normal swing speed based on videos I watched ,, it was like every clump had a quarter an inch under it and I said to my wife this machine wants me to rip my whole lawn apart ha ha....

near the shrubs I did find 3 old rusty nails at about 6 and 7" and some old car part at about 10" and a brass end to a cable plug at about 5" and the discrim was at the Max setting so I would of thought these items would not of even signaled so loud,, I think 10 other strong signals I dug down 8 to 10" and found nothing but dirt, small stones and sand. and the machine the whole time kept giving off a loud bright signals same as it did on the ground air test,,,, also when you went back over the whole and the sections of dirt that came out of it the machine signaled on the hole and the different sections of dirt leading me to believe the dirt was maybe too mineralized or contaminated I don't know but the machine was at Max and wish it would past max to everything even silver to see if it would stop beeping then.

I'll try it in a diffrerent area and see what it does,,,,, my wife has a brandnew F2 coming tomorrow because she wanted a screen on her model and I have a used vaquero coming next week.. I passed on the outlaw to save some money and learn a bit first because when I really get to know what I'm doing I may want to focus on beaches or maybe coins only so theres other machines for that yes Tesoros and even other brands I may want to consider so I want to spend my my money on the right things,,,,,,, look at it like this if I'm having problems using a compadre I shouldn't go anywhere near the outlaw ha ha ha..

Definitely try it out in a different area, just go anywhere like a tot-lot. I think it's the coil though, check to see if it's falsing.

how do you know if its falsing? or is there a test I can do to check for falsing,,, I noticed the wire going into the back of the body is not tight,, well its not loose where there is a gap but you can turn it which i didn't really turn it i only noticed that it will turn easy if you tried?

I agree with Skiwhiz.
Circuitry, frequency and coil.
Although I have the older 7" coil and it is just as sensitive as the 5.75 with maybe a little more depth.

Tajue17 said:
how do you know if its falsing? or is there a test I can do to check for falsing,,, I noticed the wire going into the back of the body is not tight,, well its not loose where there is a gap but you can turn it which i didn't really turn it i only noticed that it will turn easy if you tried?

Away from any metallic object or too much interference, tap the coil, move the coil lead coming out of the housing and where it's going into the control box. You shouldn't get any noise.

The Magician said:
Tajue17 said:

Away from any metallic object or too much interference, tap the coil, move the coil lead coming out of the housing and where it's going into the control box. You shouldn't get any noise.

I have also found if the EMI is strong in the area, it will drive the compadre NUTS.

If your coil wire is lose where it goes into the detector body, that is probably your problem. Mine is tight and will not turn with my fingers.
See if you can tighten it with your fingers and if so, does it change it for the better. It may have to go back to the factory.

I would call RUSTY at Tesoro and talk to him. He may be able to instruct you on how to cure a simple problem without having to send it in.

plidn1 said:
slingshot said:

The silver runs at 10.6 KHZ's which is not quite as sensitive to lower conductive metals.
But remember, the higher the KHZ's, the less depth you will get in hotter ground and will tend to lose stability.
Maybe, in a universal sense. But the Compadre doesn't have the low-noise, high-gain circuitry that impedes the others in finding small gold.:devil:

1st I want to say sorry to the magician for jumping in here this much with problems but thank you and I know the machine is nice I just need to figure it out. I'll try and tighten the wire when I get home but is it okay if I keep turnign it with my fingers,,, don't want the wires spinning inside and snapping or breaking off the board.

also YES when the coil gets tapped or even just lightly bumps against a shrub it does the series of beeps but loud like its hitting on something,,, I've watched blades of grass hit this coil and it beeped with the knob all the way to max as far as it would go.. I can check it on a tot lot but the stuff I wanted to do is some old homesteads I know of and a German POW camp way out in the woods..
just need to make sure its not me or the type of ground here..

If I have to I'll even send it to one of you regulars here and pay shipping back to me so someone else can try it and tell me what they think is wrong if anything.

slingshot said:
plidn1 said:
slingshot said:

Maybe, in a universal sense. But the Compadre doesn't have the low-noise, high-gain circuitry that impedes the others in finding small gold.:devil:

First of all, The only difference between detecting metal in all metal mode VRS discrimination mode, is the depth the detector will attain with the amount of discrimination that is set. It has nothing to do with sensitivity on metals with the same conductivity. If the discrimination is set to hit on a certain conductivity level, it makes no difference which mode you're in.

Secondly, a detector only sees 1 link at a time on a chain. 90% of the time the detector will only see the clasp on very thin chains. Rolling it in a ball will not give you any better chance of picking it up.

And Third, No Tesoro has the gain my MXT has and it will detect 1 grain size gold. The gain has nothing to do with it. It only allows you to hear deeper or faint targets a little better. A good pair of head phones will do the same thing.
Most of the detectors that find sub grain size gold run in the high 70 KHZ's. And use very high gain.

VLF stands for Very Low Frequency. The lower the frequency the deeper they will detect in mineralized ground.
The lower the frequency the more sensitive to higher conductive metals. The higher the frequency the more sensitive to lower conductive metals.
The old coin machines, in the 80's were set up between 5 and 7.5 KHZ's so that they could detect the silver coins deeper. But the lower frequencies do not pick up low conductive metals such as gold very well.
All gold jewelry is alloyed with some kind of other metal. Depending on what the alloy is, can make it easier to detect, if there is enough surface for the detector to see. Gold is found in the foil range, which is a very low conductor. If you are not running high enough KHZ's it will be much harder for the detector to see or miss it all together.

Tajue17 said:
when the coil gets tapped or even just lightly bumps against a shrub it does the series of beeps but loud like its hitting on something,,, I've watched blades of grass hit this coil and it beeped with the knob all the way to max as far as it would go.

Solid hard bumps against shrubs may cause a beep on a normal coil, light brushes against grass should not set it off.

If you just hold the coil still with it raised knee high and not moving, is it quiet or does it beep and chatter? If it is not beeping or chattering when raised away from the ground and not moving, then I don't think you are getting interference. I think the detector needs to be looked at and may need a new coil. I'd recommend contacting the factory for service information. If you are hunting German POW camps, I guess you are not in the USA. If there is a way to get it serviced without sending it to the factory, the good folks at the factory will be able to tell you. Contact them.
Cheers,
tvr

Tajue17 said:
1st I want to say sorry to the magician for jumping in here this much with problems but thank you and I know the machine is nice I just need to figure it out. I'll try and tighten the wire when I get home but is it okay if I keep turnign it with my fingers,,, don't want the wires spinning inside and snapping or breaking off the board.

also YES when the coil gets tapped or even just lightly bumps against a shrub it does the series of beeps but loud like its hitting on something,,, I've watched blades of grass hit this coil and it beeped with the knob all the way to max as far as it would go.. I can check it on a tot lot but the stuff I wanted to do is some old homesteads I know of and a German POW camp way out in the woods..
just need to make sure its not me or the type of ground here..

If I have to I'll even send it to one of you regulars here and pay shipping back to me so someone else can try it and tell me what they think is wrong if anything.
Sorry to get off track. Sounds like it needs to be sent in. And no,the wire doesn't have to be really tight, just not dangling loose.

plidn1 said:
slingshot said:
plidn1 said:
slingshot said:

First of all, The only difference between detecting metal in all metal mode VRS discrimination mode, is the depth the detector will attain with the amount of discrimination that is set. It has nothing to do with sensitivity on metals with the same conductivity. If the discrimination is set to hit on a certain conductivity level, it makes no difference which mode you're in.

Secondly, a detector only sees 1 link at a time on a chain. 90% of the time the detector will only see the clasp on very thin chains. Rolling it in a ball will not give you any better chance of picking it up.

And Third, No Tesoro has the gain my MXT has and it will detect 1 grain size gold. The gain has nothing to do with it. It only allows you to hear deeper or faint targets a little better. A good pair of head phones will do the same thing.
Most of the detectors that find sub grain size gold run in the high 70 KHZ's. And use very high gain.

VLF stands for Very Low Frequency. The lower the frequency the deeper they will detect in mineralized ground.
The lower the frequency the more sensitive to higher conductive metals. The higher the frequency the more sensitive to lower conductive metals.
The old coin machines, in the 80's were set up between 5 and 7.5 KHZ's so that they could detect the silver coins deeper. But the lower frequencies do not pick up low conductive metals such as gold very well.
All gold jewelry is alloyed with some kind of other metal. Depending on what the alloy is, can make it easier to detect, if there is enough surface for the detector to see. Gold is found in the foil range, which is a very low conductor. If you are not running high enough KHZ's it will be much harder for the detector to see or miss it all together.
Just relaying my observations-that's all.