Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

compadre on dry sand beach...

fishandchips

Hello, im looking to get an inexpensive machine for my wife to use at the beach with me. It will be Atlantic City mostly.How does the compadre or silver umax perform on the dry sand? thanks

Silver does fine as well. I use a 12x10 SEF in dry sand and it finds coins and gold deep, no problem.

Love the Compadre, but not on dry sand beaches. The coil is too small and the depth too limited. Remember, good targets sink fast in loose sand.

A Vaquero would be my first choice, but if you were on a limited budget, I'd vote Cibola second (for depth) and the Silver third.

I know if i buy her a machine she will only use it when we are in Atlantic City(or other jersey shore beaches).I signed her up for the hunt in A.C. in may.Other than that she wont go out dirt hunting with me. I just purchased the outlaw for myself and didnt want to spend that on a detector for her. She had an Excal and it was to difficult for her. That would be the reason I was looking at the compadre. Do you think the compadre would get 4-5" in the dry sand or just avoid it for sand hunting. Thanks

4"-5" very likely yes, but that answer can be deceiving.

The beach sand in my area is flat, but has a more rolling effect which makes swinging detector at sand level difficult.

You have to hold it higher in my area to swing it without hitting sand.

If that's the case in your area, the Compadre's depth might be too limited to be worthwhile.

Last summer my son and I were hunting OC , NJ beach. He was using my excalibur and I was using his Compadre. Found a nice silver ring and lots of change. The coil is small for the beach compared to 10 inch excalibur but it is still lots of fun to use.

CladDog and fishandchips...........I've often thought of tying a heavy-duty plastic bag over the coil and up the lower pole section a ways to hunt volley-ball sand courts that have undergone a lot of foot stomping, creating sand humps. You could swing away and not worry about lightly crashing into those sand humps ! That would improve depth and also protect the coil from sand scratches, sand getting between the coil and coil cover and into the pole-to-coil pivot assembly.

The above idea should work on dry sand ocean beaches equally as well, but sorry to say I haven't tried it yet. :rolleyes:

ToddB64

I tired my Compadre in beaches and I did find falsing sometimes. Other times it did not false. I was wondering if that had anything to do with the weather or time of day because I was searching fine until the Sun started to go down and suddenly it was falsing all over the place. Perhaps it was due to the humidity or other factor that made it mineralized soil suddenly?

As far as depth goes, I did dig some deep hole, a lot deeper than in grass. I also found that the Compadre works in the water close to the edge. Not too far into the water. But I did get signals and found garbage. I guess I need to go further into the water to make it worth it!

I also didn't find that the beach sand was a problem swinging my Compadre. I guess it depends on the beach sand conditions, but where I go there are no major sand dunes like stucture hindering my swing. It's pretty even looking.

Two options for the "coil-crashing-into-sand-humps & small dunes" would be (a) a metal detector that deals well with mineralization and goes deep so you could hold the coil high enough to clear these obstructions and (b) the plastic bag tip in my post dated February 08, 2013 11:30PM in this thread.
I've always intended to try that tip, but haven't gotten around to it yet. LOL !

I'm sure there are other options ! ;)

ToddB64