Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre on dry sand?

GP33

Every year I try to get to the Caribbean for a week or so. This is the only time I am ever at a beach. Been thinking about getting a Compadre after reading the many good posts on here. What do you guys think about taking a Compadre along on a trip like that just for the dry sand areas? I see so many rich? people walking around on these beaches with lots of bling! I don't want an Excal or a dedicated beach machine, it would just sit in the closet all year. I just want something to play around with in the miles of dry sand and since the Compadre has such a reputation for jewelry, it seems like a nice choice that I could use both there and of course back home? Or should I be thinking of a Silver

Tesoro uMax detectors are easy to pack and carry. I just wonder if they will let you detect in the Caribbean?

tabman

I don't know if any place in the Caribbean that bans detecting, but who knows.

The Compadre will work fine on the dry sand, but I have to wonder if that small 5.75" coil what you really want to use there.

Those beaches can be pretty big and with a small coil, going might be slow.

The place I go to allows detecting so I am good there. I have been there a couple times and have seen a local with a SeaHunter and another tourist with an Excal2. The local I talked to and he said he only detects in the water and that there is nothing up in the towel/chair line. But I think there could be lol. I see lots of French girls with lots of gold around there so I know it has potential. Maybe I am getting old but after watching a couple bikinis I get bored and would rather detect. I just thought a Compadre would be good for working around chairs/trees and playing around to see if there is something in the sand. I would think in dry sand that Compadre would rock. Yes the beaches are huge. The one place I go to is like 3-4 miles of dry sand alone. Maybe a Silver

My advise would be to forget the silver and compadre and move to the cibola. The compadre will take a long time to cover a small amount of ground, the silver whether you use the stock coil or the 10x12 isn't going to be quite as hot on gold as the compadre or the cibola, if you run it in all-metal it would help to find the smaller gold. However, that 10x12 will get you some pretty deep coins.
The cibola already comes with a nicely sized coil, is super hot on gold - even at pretty good depth, and If it performs anything like my Vaq, it will have the edge over your competition. Ground balance should not be a problem if you are just working the dry sand. If you wanted to, you could always put on a bigger coil.

I use Compadre in Cancun and Cosamel, Mexico and have had goodluck. Dry sand it does fine wet not worth the effort.

Some beaches in Cosamel discourage it but if your by the Hotels and go out at the crack of dawn you will have no issues at all, and I carry everything on the Airplane using my Garret Bacpack and have never had a issue getting on plane either, jut don't have any digging tool in your backpack and your scott free of hasle, well atleast for me so far.

Sounds good guys! I want a Compadre anyway. I am for sure getting a Vaquero but the more I read about the Compadre, I just want one! I don't want to get my Vaquero too beat up travelling. I have seen some pics of really nice gun cases that looked like they were run over by a truck from handling. Makes your skin crawl. But I should be good to go with a carry on anyway. I know there is stuff to find around those chairs back in the dry sand. Early mornings and late afternoons it seems pretty deserted on the beach.

just buy a vachero with the 12 x 10 ,,,or the shib with the same coil,, or the tiger shark,,,that should do nicely,,,,i am trying to use the standard web coil ,,,and it dont like the wet sand ,,,buy the best,,,i think it will still go in the closet though,,,thinks !!! :ukflag: