Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

compadre vs mojave on micro jewelry

cladcanada

pros and cons on both machines for small jewelry , what would you choose and why .

i had a compadre and like a fool i figured i could do tot lots with another machine . i can , but the smaller jewelry stopped when the compadre left . would the mohave be a replacement and still allow coil changeability and be as good ?

All reports are that they are the same functional wise- with the Mojave superior depthwise. The switchable g/b switch enlarges its application for tough ground applications and the sensitivity switch, of course, gives depth control.

The micro of micros. Small back clip off of a tiny gold earring. Probably won't tip a scale. Sooo? As far as the earing itself, wouldn't worry about the MoJo.

Never used a Mojo so cannot comment on that machine,i do have and use a Compadre predominantly with the 4'' coil on when i am hunting for micro jewellery,although it does not have tremendous depth,it excels in what it does,mainly use it either around a park environment or in a few shallow fresh water ford crossings,2 reason why i hunt these shallow fords is that mums usually take the kids paddling or fishing with a small net,and loose what is often some nice gold rings that have been handed down the family from say Victorian times,these are usually decent lumps of ice set in the rings.......the other reason that i hunt these shallow fords is that 2 of these crossings have travellers using them going back before roman times and also romans throw votive offerings into the water for the water gods.

Love using the small 4'' coil really sharp on hitting small jewellery targets,as i understand it the Mojo is pretty similar performance wise,and possibly better,but as yet i have not been tempted and upgrade machines,i guess if it aint broke dont fix it.

Through the years I have owned several [size=small](more than eight)[/size] Compadres, both brand new or from a former owner. I don't care to own one again, especially used as that's were I had the most frustrations with that model. Why, because the Compadre has only one knob and all too often people have opened them up to try and get more or better performance from them, adjusting all the trimmer, even not knowing what the specific trimmer is supposed to do. Most of the time their 'interior art work' resulted in one messed-up performing Compadre with rearranged trimmer settings ... then they couldn't get it back to where it was so they traded it off or sold it.

I would say about six of the Compadres I had came my were in perfect-looking condition, new or 'as-new', but with messed up settings I had to deal with. So Yes, we know the Compadre was/is a well-intended low-end or entry-level detector, but it was shipped out with a fixed coil and internally set GB and other adjustments to be functional just as it came. If it lacked any external adjustments or features we would like to have, then it was better to just spend a little more and buy a model with the features and functions we really wanted.

Along comes the Mojave and it gives us the better features of the two former low-cost models. The Compadre's strong point, really, is the fact it has the full-range ED-180 Discrimination, with one single knob to adjust from All Metal Accept [size=small](to respond to iron targets)[/size] all the way up through the non-ferrous conductive range. That's the 'Simple' but very 'Functional' design of the Compadre that the Mojave also features.

Then there are the features of the Silver µMAX [size=small](microMAX)[/size] that provide an external Sensitivity control, as well as a coil cable connector to allow interchangeable coil capability. Two desired and important additions to the Compadre's broad range variable Discrimination. This, alone, make the Mojave the more versatile of both of those other detector models, and the Mojave adds one step more. It has the very useful or 'Functional' 2-position set Ground Balance toggle switch. That makes it better than the Silver µMAX and Compadre as well.

I liked what I saw in the new Mojave when first introduced, and after getting mine over a year ago I have had ample opportunity to work it afield, and even compare with the other Tesoro's, which left me pleased to have my Mojave in my Regular-Use Detector Team. I have tried the 6" and 8" Concentric coils, but left the standard 'Precision' 7" Concentric mounted as it works very well. I've hunted many tot lots with it and dealt with the metal structures and obstacles but was able to find tiny-sized jewelry. Like using other workable detectors, you just need to keep the Discrimination adjusted low enough to accept those lower-conductive targets and you'll find them.

Monte

I haven't had enough time with my Mojave yet to give an comparison answer to you, but I can speak for the compadre.
I'm not sure what, but there's some magic in that little box. It may be the 12khz. If so then the Mojave would do just as well. Also I haven't played with my cutlass micromax 12khz (not cutlass II 10khz) which I picked up before the mojave was released. I didn't want to mod my compadre and the cutlass has sensitivity and full drop down motion based all metal (like vaquero drop down click on disc knob). The best way to explain it is a silver Micromax that runs at 12khz, changeable coils, and the more pleasing audio frequency like the bandido II micromax and the other "holes speaker grills" older models.

Sorry to get so far off track but that's another fun to lot detector

But the couple times I used the Mojave was great!! Just haven't had enough time to make a good judgement however I can vouch for the compadre ability to find the smallest of gold jewelry.

I'm hoping Terry pops in for his insight. He has a whole lot of time on the Mojave and I know he's had time with the Compadre.

Thanks everyone i will put a mojave on my list , excellent advice as all ways

Mojave and you won't be sorry! Just like Monte has said it is a winner. I have one outfitted with a 3x18 cleansweep and it kicks booty. The best part about it is the coverage and makes short work of tot lots and it is a dream in open spaces like athletic fields. In Georgia it has enough depth and I am consistently digging targets 4-5". Now you need to uderstand that most targets arent' falling beyond that depth in those fields because it's hard red clay down below that, usually. I also love it because I can switch back to the stock precision coil when I get to trashier areas.

thx the mojave is next!

I had the Mojave out two weekends ago and was searching a baseball field. The Mojave gave a nice clear signal that only started to break up at max disc, turned to be a clad quarter at a full 7” depth... not bad at all.

Man that sounds great hihosilver, mine is on the big brown truck headed my way should be here Thursday. I think I'm going to have alot of fun with the Mojo.:bouncy:

Another option? Looking at the Mojave and the cleansweep. would I be better off going with an outlaw? GAIN ground balance but loose the 180' disc . Coin and jewelry hunting 90 % of the time. Thoughts?

Well, my understanding about the 120 disc is that you will miss the small gold items like tiny chains, where as, with the 180 disc you pick those up but still hit the clad and silver coins, especially with the 12 kHz on the Mojave.

Now with the Outlaw, you can set the disc high, to knock out clad dimes and copper pennies, but still hit on silver dimes and clad/silver quarters... but you do give up some depth at that high disc setting. I had the Outlaw... lts a very smooth running and quiet detector, sorry I sold it.

yes i do want to be able to find the smaller gold jewelry. I'm in canada and our clad is garbage plated steel , looks like the mojave will do . and be even better on our new clad . thx