Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre vs silver

I just did some quick air tests on my Compadre with sens mod vs my new Silver. The Silver hits a small 14k stud earring better with the stock 8" coil than the Compadre with the stock 7" coil. The compadre does better with the 5.75 than the silver on the same target. The Silver with the 10x12 dd does fairly well also. The silver also hit a fine 10k gold chain with the the 8" at the same settings where the Compadre only chattered. Where the Compadre does not seem to like the 10x12. I dont think the Compadre has the power to run such a big coil. I tried the Clean sweep coil on the compadre before I sold it and it did really poorly. The silver is really good with the stock 8". So far I am really impressed, I will do an iron test video and post it when I get the time.

thanks for the tests

The Tesoro Silver µMax is one amazing detector. Thanks for sharing your test results.

tabman

Hi,new member here.i was into detecting,about 20 years ago got sidetracked,but am going to start up again. I,m thinking about the Com padre,or Silver Um ax.any thoughts on these,Tnx.

Well I never used a Compadre and many people do QUITE well with them. From what I read on this forum the Compadre is amazing. I do own a Silver and in my opinion the Compadre would have to be some kind of awesome to beat the Silver. Honestly you couldn't go wrong with either one of them. Being biased though, I would get the Silver or if I did get the Compadre I would get it with the 8" coil for the extra depth. Don't get analysis paralysis over those two detectors, either one will serve you well.

I hope to be doing some tests with the compadre & silver Umax, kinda nice to have the sensitivity and ability to change coils but the compadre is formidable , stick around , after christmass i may sell my compadre, as I am upgrading to the silver Umax ,

My compadre has sensitivity and a coil connector. I will try to do a video comparing them with different coils. I have been running the Silver for a few days now and I have to say the audio is a little better than the compadre. I dont know why but it is. Its also a little deeper. I get better hits on coins down to 6" with the silver. I rarely pulled coins deeper than 4-5 inches with the compadre. I have noticed that the compadre is better in iron and mineralized soil. I have never had my Compadre chatter much, even on wet salt sand. The Silver has already had trouble in a tot lot with sand. So far I am liking it.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I was also thinking of the Bandito,but the prices on e bay seem high to me. I had an old Garrett,years ago,no meter,bare bones,and I did very well.I am definitely going with Tesoro,I was pretty good with tone only,so I don,t need a detector with a lot of controls. I will watch the classified ads ,on this site. I can buy a new Silver,for about the same asking price of a Bandito on e bay. I am getting pumped up,so it won,t be long. Thanks again,I will be in touch.

jethropa said:
Thanks for all the thoughts. I was also thinking of the Bandito,but the prices on e bay seem high to me. I had an old Garrett,years ago,no meter,bare bones,and I did very well.I am definitely going with Tesoro,I was pretty good with tone only,so I don,t need a detector with a lot of controls. I will watch the classified ads ,on this site. I can buy a new Silver,for about the same asking price of a Bandito on e bay. I am getting pumped up,so it won,t be long. Thanks again,I will be in touch.

I cut my teeth with a Garrett fortune Hunter TR/VLF. Then when White came out with the Eagle , I got one , still have it. I relied to much on the display. Thats the wrong way to use the machine but I formed bad habits with it. I wasnt using it efficiently and stopped finding the deep coins that I found with the green machine . Then I discovered Tesoro and am back in the groove .

I pulled a 74 penny today, at 6+ inches. I had a good solid tone but it was quieter. I dont think I would have found it with my Compadre. The Compadre is great for shallow coins and jewelry, but when depth matters it isn't so great. I think this is due to the tone. I dont think the Compadre is VCO so when you get closer to the edge of detection range targets start to break up instead of getting quieter. The Silver appears to be VCO at least in the all metal mode. Targets do seem to get quieter in disc and deeper coins are smoother signals, where surface targets bang at you or double beep. It seems to be saying "Take a look" on deep stuff and "DIG DIG DIG" on shallow stuff. At least to me. Liking it so far. I will be hitting the lawn in front of work tonight if I get a break. I have hunted it with all the detectors I have and I dig everything. The problem is the EMI is terrible and even at minimum sensitivity most detectors are unusable. The SIlver seems to be less susceptible to the EMI.

I'd like to see what your results are with the same air tests and the 8'' coil? ON BOTH?

I ran both clean sweep on mine and the 9x8 coil and performance wise they both ran about(ABOUT) the same.specially with the 9x8 coil. 12khz vs 10khz . sensitivity vs depth. .
My compadre is also modded with sensitivty and a ground mod.

Smallest items I could hit with the compadre and 9x8 coil was a staple . Silver chattered . Silver had a bit more depth then the compadre but for the most part I love both units. Some of my best finds have been with these 2 detectors In and out of the water.

I just got my silver ,and have been comparing it to the Compadre both have the 8" coil the silver has as much depth as the C and loves gold . but the compadre has a little bit of an edge on a thin silver chain about 1" deeper but I like the silver one thing i really like about the silver is when you turn it on it is a very pleasant non earatating sound as a posed to the Compadre In my magnetite sand i got good signals at 3" with the silver and you can sweep really slow and still get it I may do some videos of the two machines

Way to go Gunnar. As usual, I can't wait to see your vids!

did some video , of the Compadre & silver umax , jury is in on small gold chains, compadre is the winner, I had a very thin gold chain, and the compadre hit it to 1" the silver never made a sound on it no matter what i did , but the thin silver chain the umax did about as good as the compadre. I am having second thoughts about selling the Compadre, but may still have to do it . but I like the silver its got such a sweet sound to it and its still good on gold rings and silver coins, I will have to let the videos speak. hope to post soon.

I just did a comparison on the Silver vs my GBP. I put some gold and silver about 4" down and went over them with both machines. They were pretty much on par. On most targets. I will try to get the video up soon. I should have tried the COmpadre on the same targets.