Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparing air test Cibola

scdetector

Anyone ever air tested your Cibola against this guy's test,he also has done one on the Tejon,my Cibola falls a bit short to his test distances - http://home.earthlink.net/~deltareale/data/AIR%20TEST%20CIBOLA.pdf

Your air test may fall short as my detector was about 1-1 1/2" deeper than the other Cibola I had at the time.
hence the shallower detecting Cib was sold. Then I mod'd the better Cib with ground balance.

It would be interesting to hear what others can come up with doing an air test on the Cibola.
Everyone air test a US clad dime, quarter, nickel and a half dollar. Set your disc to 4, sensitivity to 3/4, slight threshold sound.
Accurately place a ruler along side of the coil and wave the coin back and forth under the coil until the sound goes away, then bring it in closer until you
can hear just a sound from the coin.

You will find a variance in most detector brands, take 10 identical units and there should be one that will be somewhat hotter.
Most of the time you will not have the option to cherry pick a detector like that. The dealer will pull a sealed detector box off the
shelf and that's what you get.

Air tests are not actual ground hunting, so even if my detector air tested hotter than yours, it may detect deeper,
no deeper or less than yours in the same ground matrix. It all depends on how the factory pre-tuned your ground balance
and how the coils are built. Some coils variance may also effect depth. After modd'ing with manual ground balance the detector
could be precision tuned to the ground mineralization with the particular coil on the Cib. Now, the precision tuned Cib will outperform
the factory averaged fixed tuning.

That's a great test you did on both the Tejon and the Cibola,very impressive !! Here's what I have with Sensitivity on about 7.5, Threshold at 1 o-clock "slight hum" and Disc on iron. Dime- 6" , Quarter- 7" , Nickel- 8" and the Half -7 1/2" The test was done with a wood ruler using the top side of the coil. Mine seemed a bit better doing air test prior to having Rusty Retune it at Tesoro but you are correct in respect to actual hunting.I performed some test in my garden this afternoon with a Mercury Dime at various depths and it had no issue with a loud and clear response at 8" with full discriminate/Threshold at 3 o-clock/maxed sensitivity, I should have tried it deeper but it was getting dark

Tested my Cibola at setting 2 and setting 6 and it was about where Sven's table shows in both cases, with the standard coil.
My Tejon matched Sven's test too.

So, since Sven's results tracked what I observed, I frequently use his page as a reference since he has been kind enough to set it up on a web page for sharing.
tvr

Ok,I tried my test again using some pillows to insulate any nails in my table and using Sven's setting of 2 and 6 using clad coins here are the results which are close.Setting 2; Nickel- 9" , Dime-7" , Quarter-8" , Half 9" Setting 6;Nickel 12 1/4" , Dime-9 3/4" , Quarter 11" and the Half at 12" . My measurments were done at distances which just broke the silence of the detector.Nothing like some indoor winter fun!!!!!!

ASSUMPTION:
IF the Cibola and the Vaquero have the same internal components, does the Vaquero have the same test results as the above chart?
Has anyone tested????
It would be fun to try! Now, the time to do!!!
..best...Rich

I did learn something from toying around air testing by noticing the sound just as the coin is within the detectors maximum detection limits, the very "faint" chirp which in the field I've passed up thinking trash induced noise passed and kept on swinging,think I'll start digging more of those more faint signals. Rich, I would assume air testing would be the same,though it would be nice to compare air test, the Vaquero would be deeper in the field than the Cibola in some locations,in my area here in SC the ground is pretty mild and GB has not been a issue in the all the areas I've hunted by raising the coil a few feet pressing the PP and listening to changes in the threshold as the coil meets the ground,in my opinion I think both would do "about" the same as far as depth in my area but I may be wrong on that. I was quite amazed at the air test Sven did with the Tejon,pretty good bit of difference comparing it to the Cibola