Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparing homemade scoops

2wheeldevil

Left one:
14 gauge SS with a wood handle-7.8 lbs.
Right one:
18 gauge SS with a carbon fiber handle-4.2 lbs.

Left scoop is indestructible but a little heavy-not bad for working in the water. 6 yrs use without a bend or nick.
18 gauge SS will be tested to see if it can take the abuse I give it. Smaller holes in back and sides also catch the small stuff.
Note:
Scoops with wide flat tops are not designed for strength and they will bend and the welds will usually fail with rough use. These scoops below distribute the force throughout the entire scoop.

Attachments

• sco1.jpg
    sco1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 166
  • scoop2.jpg
    scoop2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 169
Live and Learn:
18 gauge SS is nice and light but not strong enough for the top piece on the scoop.
As you can see the SS is starting to bend. Should have made that top piece (3 in x 4 1/2in) out of 14 gauge SS. It is still holding but may have to weld another top piece in there to beef it up.

Attachments

• bent.jpg
    bent.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
Tig, I think, had it done for me.
I still suggest solid round bar to each corner to the tubing.
Hopefully will keep those welds from cracking.
I'd show you mine.
Though my wifey relocation program is running in high gear lately. 😄

Last edited:
Pattern for the scoop is attached. The top piece is 3" x 4 1/2". You then have to form fit the back piece once you have it bent and welded. Angle for the tube handle is up for your liking, I went with about 70 degrees. Form fit the triangle brace once you have the angle on the handle tube cut. Center punch holes are shown and then you have to start drilling the holes. Inside height of the scoop is 5 1/4 on the 14 gauge scoop and 5 3/4 on the 18 gauge scoop, I like the 5 1/4 best.

Attachments

• 20230921_091542.jpg
    20230921_091542.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 72