Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparing old technology and new with same size coil

DigDog

So they say new technology will go deeper and find more. Most older detectors usually had a coil between 8”-10” now
A standard coil is 11” now ,so is it really new technology going deeper or more marketing because of bigger coils which inherently go deeper.
Best way to find out i think is to use a 6” coil in both old and new and see the difference. I don’t know how many have noticed if new 6” coils go deeper

So they say new technology will go deeper and find more. Most older detectors usually had a coil between 8”-10” now
A standard coil is 11” now ,so is it really new technology going deeper or more marketing because of bigger coils which inherently go deeper.
Best way to find out i think is to use a 6” coil in both old and new and see the difference. I don’t know how many have noticed if new 6” coils go deeper
Dig Dog, a metal detector engineer told me bigger coils only go deeper on bigger targets, i am a metal detector tester and can tell you for sure
the new tech metal detectors punch down a little more than old tech. But it's not by any significant amount. The Legend with a six inch coil fitted
would get much more depth than a 1970 's metal detector with six inch coil on. I hunt with a six inch coil on 90% of the time and i don't notice hardly any depth difference
on coins with 6 inch or 11 inch coils. The best size is a 7 inch coil but they are not a common size these days.

Dig Dog, a metal detector engineer told me bigger coils only go deeper on bigger targets, i am a metal detector tester and can tell you for sure
the new tech metal detectors punch down a little more than old tech. But it's not by any significant amount. The Legend with a six inch coil fitted
would get much more depth than a 1970 's metal detector with six inch coil on. I hunt with a six inch coil on 90% of the time and i don't notice hardly any depth difference
on coins with 6 inch or 11 inch coils. The best size is a 7 inch coil but they are not a common size these days.
Very interesting i have heard that quit a bit about the 6” coil in the legend is almost as deep as the 11” its mind boggling.
I use the 6” because of many reasons, lighter, better discriminating, better with emi, and just not interested in digging really deep holes lol
I don’t know the actual depth comparison between the two but first im sure a 2022 detector will go deeper than a 1970 i was talking more about for example a 2000 detector vs 2020 detector as just in last 20 years alot changed that claim more depth, better discrimination etc.
What i see is mainly just increasing sensitivity which gets to the point of too sensitive and is easy effected by emi.
Why I think we have been at a point of being maxed out. Same technology just increased sensitivity and coil size if that makes sense.
But how does the 6” go as deep as the 11” is still mind boggling.
As for bigger targets isn’t everything supposed to be based on a coin(quarter) size target

On the coil front of things, with Pulse detectors for gold a number of coil manufacturers started making flat, or spiral wind coils. Take the mono coils up until then, all the windings were bunched up like say finger or sausage shape, to give an idea. Nugget Finder put out a 12 inch before the flats called and Advantage coil, it was like in winding that sausage had been flattened a bit with a spatula if you get me.
Then they and others, Coiltek, Deeptech started the spirals or flats, no bunching of the winding. Sensitivity increased as well as depth. You gained a couple of inches on some targets. So in that regard those coils were much better than previous ones. I don't think so much it was new technology just hadn't been used before or up until then commercially with the PIs. I had heard some guys had made their own and were caning the goldfields with them years before they were made for consumers.