Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparison Chart.

ivanll

Is there a side by side Comparison Chart available for.

Pulsepower Developments. Goldscan 5C and Whites. Pulse Scan TDI.

Thank you for looking

They would be kind of meaningless. Combinations that would produce the best results for me between the two, would most likely be all wrong for you in your area.

That's the biggest problem with all field test. I find something at say 10" in my hunting grounds, and you try it in your area, and only get 5", you would cry fowl. But in this make believe case, you live in Virginia. Let me tell you, it would make a world of difference. :)

If your asking for a side by side comparison as far as things of balance, ease of use, availability, that's one thing. If it's depth, never happen.

Let's say this. The Goldscan 5C is a custom built unit by the designer personally, of all the latest enhancements. He designed the TDI for Whites based on the Goldscan 5. It's tough to make comparisons of production line units to custom made units. Both fruit, but ones oranges, ones apples.

Thank you for your reply and effort.
The comparison chart I had in mind is more in the direction of all publicly available technical information.(side by side)
Once all the tech.details is compared one can move on to the physical appearance of the units mentioned and choose the one that is most suitable for oneself and for the area one frequent most often.
Agreed field tests are usually only meaningful to the person(s) doing them.
Both the fruits mentioned above make a nice juice, separately or combined.

The comparison chart of the two mentioned detectors is now completed.
Thank you, to all that provided the info required.

Hi IvanII

Your question is difficult to answer except in more of generic terms. Basically, the TDI and the GS 5 are quite similar in general specs. The reason is because the fundamental design of the TDI is based upon the GS 5.

Now, are there differences? Yes, but the exact differences are impossible to state simply because of the constant evolution of both detectors and the fact, both designs are not public information.

What you can expect is reasonably similar depth capabilities between the two detectors providing they are adjusted the same. This is where the difficulty lies and it isn't based upon the differences or similarities but upon the characteristics of the design itself.

To try to explain just what I mean, one can get significant differences between two of the same detectors just by how the detector is adjusted. Lets say you have two TD's and you want to detect mini balls at a known Civil war site. Well, the depth of detection of the balls can vary simply because of the ground balance adjustment. Since the mini ball can change tones when the GB (ground balance) control is adjusted, (at least some of them do) then there is a precise point where the mini ball will cause a minimal signal. So, if the GB is adjusted to that point, where there is minimal signal then one may not see much of a depth capability, but another person with a different GB setting may be finding the same targets at extreme depths.

Keep in mind the GB adjustment can help determine targets as well as allow an operator to ignore certain targets. This ability to differentiate or discriminate targets is both a blessing and a curse. The key is to know this fact and just what can happen. If a person does know this and uses it to his advantage, both the TDI and the GS 5 are very unique PI's with tremendous capability.

The true key to getting the most from either detector, the TDI or the GS 5, is the knowledge of just how the detector works and what happens to different targets when the controls are adjusted.

So, once again, if all things are equal, you will not see too much difference between the TDI and the GS 5 if both are adjusted very similar. The GS 5 does have a few features not found on the TDI plus it is hand built by Eric, which means it is precisely adjusted.

The GS 5 is designed to be chest mounted while the TDI can be mounted on the shaft or chest or hip mounted. Now, I built a simple U shaped bracket which allows me to quickly mount my GS 5 on the S handle in about the same location as where the TDI is positioned. So, Now, I have similar capabilities, or at least did have when I had that setup when modifiying another GS 5 owner's detector. I do need to get another S handle and make that change to my present GS 5 when time permits.

I am not sure I have answered your question because, as Mr. Bill as stated, it is quite difficult to do so because of the terrain, but more importantly, because of the capabilities of the detectors themselves.

Reg

I have had a DFX for years and felt ready to take that PI TDI plunge....just one thing. No TDI's are shipping and a release date is unknown. Dealers have them in stock but nobody can sell them. Anybody got a pulse (pun intended) on this...got it from a good source two separate times.
greg

Hi Greg,

Here is a link to a new one for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Whites-TDI-Metal-Detector_W0QQitemZ290281758763QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMetal_Detectors?hash=item290281758763&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

I don't know of any reason they are not for sale. If you find out why or more information, I would really like to know.

Reg

Thank you kindly for the reply.
Have compared the tech. specs on both units they seem evenly matched in this area.
I made my choice on the one that is most convenient for me to use and is suitable to my hunt style and location.
Next hurdle is to locate an importer/distributor with connection to an authorized service/repair facility.
Guess the bottom line can be summed up in a single word.
"Availability"

I got the information from Kellyco directly from two different sales people. They said they had the TDI in stock but could not sell it. White had put a hold on the sale and there was no date on the screen for a release date. Had something to do with training the dealers. So I dont know...Im happy with my Infinium...works great for me.

g

Hi,

The White's TDI is available from select dealers. All Kellyco is telling you is they are not authorized to sell the TDI. Contact White's directly to find the nearest authorized TDI dealer.

Steve Herschbach