Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparison, two old timers: White's IDX Pro vs the Garrett GTAx 1000

Skillet

Metal Detector Comparison: Garrett GTAX 1000....White's IDX Pro

Most treasure hunters begin the hobby with a single machine, often it is an older 'dated' machine that leaves the owner wondering if a newer model might help him or her make better, more valuable finds with less effort.

Others, wanting to get started, are on a limited budget making it necessary to consider buying on the 'used' market.

In both cases, the hobbyist finds himself wondering, "Those older machines, how good are they? Are they competitive, performance-wise with more current offerings?"

Over the years, I've bought and sold 'newer' machines, as well as older models and now own about eleven metal detectors. I still use the older machines on a regular basis. One, a Garrett GTAX 1000 I bought in the mid-nineties, is still one of my favorite 'go-to' machines when I need a TID detector. With a 5.5" "Ferrett" coil it's a real coin-hound. This was Garrett's premiere coin-shooter 'back in the day'.

Just recently, I picked up another older TID machine, White's excellent IDX Pro. I quickly got a 6" BlueMax coil for this one as I'm a huge fan of small coils. Naturally, I was curious to see how these two "old-timers" compared to one another in performance and features...

So! Pull a chair up ringside and break out the Ben-Gay as these two old former contenders prepare to do battle! (But please consider it a gentlemen's duel, as I think that you will find that they are both very good machines... capable of giving any 'modern' detector a pretty good run!)

Respective Weights:
1000: 3.5 lbs
IDX: 3.9 lbs

not an issue, both machines balance and handle with very little effort

Battery Requirements:

Both use 8 AA batteries, advantage: none

Airtests:

IDX Pro/ 6" BlueMax coil, max sens:*

Dime: 6.25"
Qtr: 6.75"
Nickel: 6.75"
Sm. (.235 dia) lead shot: 2.75"
10k Gold lady's ring: 5.5"

1000 PM/ 5.5" HotHead "Ferrett" coil, max sens:*

Dime: 9"
Qtr: 9.5"
Nickel: 8.5"
Ld Shot: 3.5"
Ring: 6.5"

*As many of us know, airtests do not necessarily indicate in-ground performance. Test-plot performance shows virtually indentical depth capabilities for both machines.

Features:

Here, we start to see some differences. The 1000 has a handful of performance features/tools that the IDX doesn't:

1) Battery-power indicator (you know when the 1000 is getting low on power, not so with the IDX)

2) Target depth reading. An extra bit of information that is often useful in the field.

3) Audio ID. The 1000 has 3 audio modes: "belltone" which indicates high-conductivity targets, "standard", which gives an identical tone for all targets, and "bi-level" which gives a variable tone ID, based on conductivity. The IDX gives one tone for all targets.

4) Notch-discrimination capabilities. The 1000 has 3 pre-set and three save-able, user programmable modes. The IDX has a traditional graduated discrimination knob.

5) 24 target ID 'notches'... the IDX has eight. The 1000 gives the user more target information.

6) The 1000 has an integral 'stand' that keeps the control housing clear of the ground while targets are being recovered. The control box of the IDX sits directly on the ground... mine is already showing some wear where it has been set down on gravel etc.

There are other features also, possessed by the 1000 and not the IDX, but these are some of the most important ones IMO

Now, at this point many will cry, "BS, this is nothing more than brand-loyalty-based White's bashing... delete this entire string and call my Lawyer!!!"

Stay a bit and bear with me please! If I were convinced that the IDX was junk, I'd already be looking for a buyer. It's not so. I'm keeping this IDX Pro and I'll tell you why...

Ease of use:

The IDX Pro seems (to me) to be very intuitive and easy to learn. It 'locks-in' solidly on targets. So far, it looks like a very good "nickel-hunter" as well. A well-built machine... metal control housing... feels "substantial" in the hand.

Trash-Masking

With similar-sized coils, the IDX is superior at picking out targets in small iron and among modern aluminum trash (this with the junk discriminated out).
This is pretty unusual. Normally, in my experience, a detector excels in either one or the other environments and the Garrett is no slouch in aluminum junk. To handle both as well as the IDX does is exceptional.

On many sites, target separation is more important than depth.

The IDX has a couple of features that the 1000 Pm does not:

1)

Hi Skillet, thanks and it was interesting. I always like to read what anyones take is on a machine or comparisons. Just curious tho, wonder how a Mr Bill mod on the IDX would compare. I dont know much about either of the machines but have read much about Mr Bills mods on the IDX.
I have a M6, I like it, but my most recent purchase was a used XL Pro. Whites just doesnt have anything I want, thats newer. My next purchase may be a used IDX pro and get the mods on it, or a Minelab. I have to say, I like the Pro thus far.
Thanks for your post,
John

that the Mr. Bill mods would be money well-spent.

I plan to send the IDX Pro in, as soon as I can pry it out of my hands long enough for it to make the trip!

Thank you for the kind words!
Skillet

Hi Skillet,
tried to pm you yesterday, but puter was acting up. How do they compare in your garden? I've been bench testing the"new" idx pro,as its been too cold outside to try it out. Its really a well built machine, with no frills. I've always liked the quality of both brands here. Itchin to try it out this weekend. bugg

Basically both brands are using 15 year old technology even today. So these (old dogs) are not really old. I think for coin shooting the notch is king. The 1000 has ground tracking. But I really don't favor the green arm cuff. But I don't favor the lack of notching on the Classics. You can buy from Whites the rubber bumpers to keep the control box off the ground. The Classics can run a lower disc say for just discing out a small nail. For coin hunting I would say the 1000 has a lot more features for that task.

Both were essentially identical as far as depth.

I would center over a target, then lift the coil until the signal disappeared. Distance appeared to be the same for both machines.

The IDX is good at 'ignoring' small iron, even with zero discrimination small iron will give little or no target response.

The 1000 keeps small iron to the far left of the scale, which makes it still easy to disc. out. The IDX reminds me a bit of my Tesoros, the way it wants to ignore iron.

Skillet

Located under the decal, is an adjustment that can be made for ground balancing. Have you played with that adjustment yet?
I haven't yet, as I did not get outside with the pro. Im just curious if that adjustment will give us more depth.
I did not get a manual with mine, but a manual can be downloaded at whites web site , under the service tab.
It explained that adjustment, my manual is downloaded on my now dead computer. I believe Mr Bills mods also
set up an adjustable threshhold and bumps the sensitivity a bit.
If you send it to Mr bill, please let us know the results.
Thanks , the bugg

Thanks for the ride bud. I like many of the old clubs and wish I still had some of them. I miss my old Bandido II, my Compass Relic Magnum 7, one of the first Tesoro Silver Sabres which was a coin magnet, and a Golden Sabre, a real ring magnet, plus a few others.

Bill

It's set pretty well for my ground.... slightly positive.
Skillet

I just sold a 1000, without ever using it, as it happens.

I had just upgraded from the 550 to the 2500, then ended up with the 1000 in a trade. It seemed kind of redundant, since I had just gotten the 2500.

I have no doubt they were (are) excellent machines, though.

The one I sold was minty-fresh- it had been closet-kept and only used once or twice when I got it. (For a steal).

Now that I am back down to one detector, I sort of wish I had kept a backup machine.

What I'm saying is: you want the 1000 with the 'Power Master' circuitry, if you are ever considering getting one used.

Skillet

I sold it and got the 1250 which to me wasn't as good, then a 2000 and was not happy, then the 1500 which was OK, but still felt the 1000 did better. I got the 2500 next and it too was OK, but the coil was just too big for coin hunting plus you couldn't believe the image size most of the time. That GTAx 1000 with the powermaster just seem to lock on to the coins better for me and not as much trash plus it ran a bit more stable too with no false signals.

I found the GTAx100 was too unstable when trying to get depth. Good air test. Poor in natural ground. I've only used the GTAx500 and the GTAx1000. Both of these machines could find coins but they could not detect small gold in the ground. That's a common deficiency in MDs. That's why I'm left with booty. Most the gold I find is small jewelry that other detectorist can't find. I have only 14 rings. But I have over 40 ear rings. I have 50 small pendants. Four days ago I recovered a small ladies 14k gold diamond ring. Enough to pay for the MD in one find plus some. I have air tested dainty rings like that with the Garrets and I can't see any way I could have found that diamond ring with them. It was in a trashy place and that requires a different strategy than coin hunting and a sensitive machine that can maintain some stability.

I don't hunt coins. I just find them. I hunt for gold jewelry and artifacts/relics. If it can't detect small gold jewelry, I won't use it.

HH,