Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

comparison

rexy

whites goldmaster GMT
whites mxt
minelab eureka gold
Minelab xt 1700/1800
Minelab sovereign
X-terra 705/70 gold
scorpion gold stinger
Tesoro Lobo super traq
Gold bug 2/dp/pro
Fisher gold strike

can anyone tell me which detector is best for gold?

They are all good--or all bad--that depends on the operator ALWAYS. Many detectors have the ability but owners not so. Nugget shooting is the absolute most expensive,dangerous,hardest form of detecting there is. Not 10% even keep at it for any length of time. You must have much prior experience detecting and/or spent many hours learning whatever machine you choose. A list of capable units is nuttn' without a hard working dedicated man behind them. After 53++ years a detecting I much prefer my ol' GB2 and Tesoro Lobo Supertraq for what I do. Always testing new-Notka Fors Gold is the amazing new kid on the block this year and very impressive so far BUT need 1,000 hours a use to prove'm out as many MANY fall apart and don't take the ungodly field abuse. Lotza Luck-John

But when talking about small gold, I'm looking for the detector with right balance of finding subgram gold, at the same time, looking for larger gold at a good depth. The minelabs have many frequencies, so they can adjust to nugget, to picker hunting. But I don't know about the others. the GB2 is 72 megahertz, which is not even in the VLF range. This frequency is good on small gold but suffers when looking for the deeper, larger gold. The lobo seems to be a better machine for nugget shooting. The notka seems to be a good choice, but how small of a piece of gold can it detect.

Thar's quite a list you've got there rexy!-----How much time have you got behind these things---ANY detector?-------What John said!---Also, you really need quite a bit of detecting experience before you can (effectively) take on nuggie hunting.-----It's tuff enough for us old guys that know what we are doing.-----Not trying to discourage you--just trying to PREPARE you.------As to a gold detector--a GB2 (IF run right), isn't going to miss you much (small & shallow) gold.

I am younger than you can ever imagine, I do have dreams to become a researcher, Overall, I have been at this for about 600 hours this month. Anyway, Thanks for the good information. I will take this into consideration.

rexy said:
whites goldmaster GMT
whites mxt
minelab eureka gold
Minelab xt 1700/1800
Minelab sovereign
X-terra 705/70 gold
scorpion gold stinger
Tesoro Lobo super traq
Gold bug 2/dp/pro
Fisher gold strike

can anyone tell me which detector is best for gold?

There is no best detector for gold. I guess I fall into the professional side of things and I need several.

Out if this list only? You can eliminate the following

Minelab XT1700/1800 (old versions of Eureka Gold)
Minelab Sovereign (coin and jewelry detector)
Scorpion Gold Stinger (yesterday's technology)
Fisher Gold Strike (bad investment)

You have left three prospecting specific detectors:

Gold Bug 2
GMT
Eureka Gold

And four (do it all detectors)

MXT
Gold Bug Pro/DP
X-Terra 70/705
Tesoro Lobo

If you want a prospecting specific detector look at the first group. If you want a general purpose detector look at the second group. The choice in each group is largely personal preference. I can grab anything in group one and do about as well, or anything in group two and do about as well. The fisherman catches the fish, not the rod and reel. For what it us worth my personal choice from group one is the Gold Bug 2 and from the second group the Gold Bug Pro.

If people as me what detector to get starting out prospecting I tend to recommend the less less expensive version of the Gold Bug Pro, simply called the Gold Bug, which can be had for around $499. Anyone who can find gold nuggets with a metal detector can find some with a Gold Bug. Then maybe it is worthwhile investing in more or better detectors. If you can't, them maybe metal detecting for gold is not your thing.

You can find more detailed information at The Gold Nugget Detector Guide

Thanks for the good info. Love this forum.

I currently have the gold bug pro. It will detect gold smaller than I want to dig and has good depth on larger gold. I have air tested it on a mens gold wedding band with the 5x10 coil and I would say it gets 14 inches or more . Its amazing. This is at full sensitivity and an air test but its still great. Easy to use also. If I could have only one detector this would be it. good luck

today is the 9th x 24=216 hours and ya say 600 this month alone?? Age has nuttn' to do with the equation as still have gold I found when I was 8, 56 summers ago. In 61 at 11- I made my first detector a Heathkit BFO and been lovn' it(detectn) ever since. EZ to do as take a bus ifn' ya can't drive and ya still get there to do your thang-Get your folks in on the fun and you'll all be a much healthier happier bunch. Relax as ya have a lifetime ahead of you-John

I meant in the past 30 days. And this is just one of the many hobbies and sports I have. :bouncy: