Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass 13.77 kHz coils, modified thinner and lighter.

Old California

Recently, Picked up a Compass Prototype thin line 13.77 kHz coil from a friend, only a few were made and to get one is extremely rare. From the moment I tried the prototype, Was so impressed with the light weight and thin line appearance. From there was on a mission to modify my own, after several attempts my most recent coil is even thinner and lighter than the Compass 8" prototype.

The original Compass 8" coil is 1" 1/8" inches thick, the Prototype 8" coil is 6/8" inches thick, my latest 8" coil is only 5/8" inches thick. Could have even gone even thinner down to 4/8" which is 1/2" an inch on the latest coil and I still may there is room to go thinner.

Had to open up several 8" coils, not all can be modified. Out of an advarage of four to six coils, only one can be modified out of the bunch. That's a lot of coils to find one special coil to be modified, luckily have several but I think I'll stop here.

These are great! No more thick heavy coils to swing and I even shortened the coil cables on the modified coils since the connectors were off.

Will post several pictures, first will be a pic of three coils, to the left is the Prototype, middle coil is a stock coil, coil to right is my recent coil its the thinnest and lightest coil of the three.

Next picture are the insides of two coils, then another picture mounted on my two favorite modified Compass (GoldScanner Pro & CoinScanner Pro II). The last picture, Are only the Prototype and my recent modified thin line version to compare the two.

Thanks for looking,
Paul (Can)

Impressive! I like your version better as your seal where the two halves meet is underneath instead of on the side. I wonder why the earlier scanner coil with black/gold decal and gray cable could work and not the other? Perhaps Compass added a thicker layer of foam to the later coils? I wish I could do the same mod to an older Whites 8" 6B coil. I know that Whites did shave the bottom off the later Bluemax 8" coils.

Thanks Straker,

That will be great if you can modify the Whites coil, you probably can but you'll need to open it up to see. With the compass 13.77 kHz coils, some have excessive epoxy making it impossible to modify. Others have the mini board too close to the top, and a few are perfect with thick foam on top with the mini board centered in the foam.

I'm trying other methods with other coil shells, here's one almost completed just need to solder the replacement cable inside the coil. Plus, This shell already has the shielded wires on both upper and lower portions this I'll solder onto to mini board inside coil to help eliminate EMI.

Its an 8" baron coil, 6/8" inches thick same thickness as Compass 8" prototype. But I'll I got it down to 1/2" inch (4/8"). Also, Last night trimmed off another 1/8" inch off from my modified coil now it too is 1/2" inch thick.

Will post some pictures, first pic is the Compass 13.77 kHz coil innards before trimming foam, second picture is same coil now trimmed to fit inside Baron coil shell. Third picture is completed coil sporting a Compass decal, looks pretty good now I need to solder the cable inside coil to mini board then reseal both pieces.

I'll post finial pictures when completed, and future coil mods when I get them completed. So far, the thinnest I can get these are 4/8", that's 1/2" an inch. Thinner than the prototype and more that 1/2 thickness of a stock coil.

Good luck with your coil project, I'm going to try and get a Compass 8" Magnum coil thinner, boy these are too heavy and thick as a brick.

Paul

Compass 13.77 kHz 8" donut coil completed, ended up going with a black coil cable after transferring the 13.77 kHz coil innards to the empty Treasure Baron 8" coil shell. The 8" donut coil is the same thickness as the Compass 8" prototype, both are 6/8" thick. Light too.

This is all new to me, was a nice learning experience being able to remove and transfer the guts of a coil to another type of coil housing. Wish i had started doing this year's ago, looking forward to the next coil project.

Ground balances great, target ID perfect and looks like a factory setup. Have other ideas with a couple of other coils, hopefully share those in the future if they operate as planned.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Hello,

So glad I found your great coil modification discussion.
Looks like it will work well.
Do you happen to know what the circuit card within the coil assembly does?
Does it contain any active (transistors/IC chips) on it?
Thank You.

Mike.

The small board inside the Challenger/Scanner coils, is to facilitate the connection of the windings, and to facilitate the nulling of the Rx coil. There are no parts on the smaller board to amplify and/or enhance the coils performance.
[size=large]Melbeta[/size]