Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass Depth Doubler, finally got one!

Old California

Recently, On eBay seen a complete clean Compass Depth Doubler for a great price. Buy it now, combined with shipping $70 bucks total. Should be here early next week, maybe sooner.

Believe retail was around $459.99 back then, that was one of two reasons I didn't buy one. The other reason, felt setting up the unit and breaking down after each use was too much work especially if it didn't work. The closest I ever came to purchasing one, was in Reno Nevada late nineties at a detector shop. The owner had reduced the price to around $269.00 if memory serves me right, brand new reduced it sure was temping.

I've read reports from several off the internet having great results, one particular user was a prospector. He claims the charged ground amplified gold nugget signals, this would be great going back to a hunted out nugget patch area. Of course if the contraption works, if it does same may apply to certain patches of park turf giving up old coins.

For the price I paid, it was worth the risk. Will attach the picture from the seller, Has any one ever used one?

Paul

Back in the day some swears it worked. It electrified the ground and a lot of worms came to the surface..LOL

Old California you must of been faster than me at check out. Listing ended as I was at confirm & pay. I noticed on the warranty registration it has a blank for model number beside depth doubler. Is their more than one model or version of a depth doubler? I hope it works good for you.

Back when they first came out, I tried one. The inventor /manufacturer sent one to me to try out, obligation free. Ie.: a trial-free period. That was back in the mid to late 1980s, if I recall.

Here's what I did with it: There was a certain park in a city near me, that had given up lots of early mercs, barbers, IH's, V's, etc... And everything was perfectly stratified: Eg.: 1940s losses at 5", 1920's losses at 6". 1900's losses at 7 to 8", and so forth. And we knew for a fact that the park dated to the 1870s. Yet ... the deepest we could reach with our detectors, at that time, was to get the turn-of-century stuff (barbers, IH's, etc...). So we reasoned that there MUST be seateds there, that are out of our reach. Eh ? :) And the park was clean enough that I rationalized I should be able to get a direct line of sight on some deeper stuff *IF* I could get the depth.

This was the perfect park to try such a device, eh ? I followed all the instructions. The ground was moist. I chose a section of the park where A) I had pulled numerous 1900s and 1920s type coins years before this, and B) it was clean of surface trash (tabs, clad, etc...) C) I checked it again, before starting this test, to make sure there was nothing there that I would normally have elected to dig.

After letting the machine charge the ground for an hour, I went at it. I found NOTHING else , in the way of older/deeper coins. The ONLY thing I noticed, was that teeensy things gave better signals. For example: Ya know those pencil eraser metal top things ? Well I found one, that I hadn't even heard on my pre-test , prior to the charging. It rang up almost to coin. Eg.: fooled me. Gave a bolder signal (with perhaps better TID). So too did other little things, I could perceive, were trying to bounce up (but their size gave them away as not being coins).

Hence I did not think it would benefit coin hunting. But who knows ? Perhaps there simply wasn't anything deeper at this exact test spot ? I did come away thinking it might benefit nugget hunters. Who want tteennnssyy things to come alive.

But it is a pain the b*tt to handle. You have to lug a car battery around. Play with wires. Wait an hour, etc...

By all means try it out Paul. If you know of a moist turfed park, where you suspect oldies are *just* out of reach (how about your so-called "Barber park" ?), then see if that brings out a few deeper ones you missed.

Good to hear from you !

I will SL52, will share results.

For the price, it was a deal couldn't pass up.

Thanks,
Paul

I'll share results Elton, have a test bed of coins at a local park. Some of these coins are beyond the reach of certain detectors. I'll compare before and after charging the area.

My Periscope Probe brings out Worms when I'm probing the ground, sometimes within seconds I've seen a worm or two come out wriggling crazy. Must be painful to them, never thought about this until now.

Thanks,
Paul

Hello Willy,

I'm not sure if different models or versions were made, but will surely share my results.

The moment I seen this on the internet, noticed it had make an offer but I didn't hesitate even for a second. Knew it wouldn't had lasted as I waited for an answer from the seller had I made an offer, so I clicked buy it now.

Wow, Just knowing now you were already at the checkout and only seconds away from sealing the deal. I think the asking price was $52.00 plus $18.00 shipping, that's a deal.

If I ever sell this Willy, you'll be the first to contact. Same price I paid too, least I can do since you were so close to getting it.

Thanks,
Paul

Mrwilburino,

My Periscope probe brings out worms, they come out to the surface wiggling crazy. I'll share whatever the results are with the Depth Doubler, more depth or a good tool for finding worms for fishing?

Looking forward to the results, thanks for sharing the pics.

Paul

Hello Tom,

Thank you for sharing your results, I remember reading somewhere years ago you tired one. Yeah, I think it'll be a hit and miss. As you mentioned and was one of my reasoning for not purchasing one before, the hassle of setup and lugging around a car battery.

Barber park would be a good area to test the Depth Doubler, but my first area will be a test bed of coins I have at a local park. Some of these coins are beyond the reach of certain detectors, will compare before and after ground is charged. Will share results, another area I want to try the Depth Doubler is at our oldest site in my area. The Woodsville massacre site, particular area I've pounded for years. Were the cabin stood, first structure in our area (1850). Then a hotel was built in 1853 were the cabin stood and and small town followed around the hotel, Its farm land now and hasn't been plowed in years.

With the Wood'sville site, I don't use VLF anymore. Just use the GPX 5000. Everything is picked clean, PI with good discrimination is the only hope of getting a target now. I'm curious to see if the Depth Doubler will work in hunted out relic sites, especially in areas known to have giving up gobs of finds before. I'll be using the GPX with the Depth Doubler, at the Woodsville site. Good thing owner allows me to hunt here anytime, think what I'll do is setup and charge a different area every trip in there if it works.

Gimmick or not, its worth the risk of trying. If anything, the hassle of trying this out in hunted out sites will be an adventure

I'll share results Tom, Thanks again for sharing your past results.

Paul

and the ions of oxidation around an object are charged it seems moisture has a big effect. From normal hunting, when the ground is bone dry-I just do not get the deeper signals.
And since moisture carries a charge--how moist is the ground deep where the older stuff is (compared to just a few inches.) When you choose to hunt is important.
Meanwhile I have contacted an old friend on this device--he should have experience with it.

Old California said:
... the GPX 5000. ...

Holy smokes, you picked a relicky site clean with a GPX 5000 ? Sheesk. I can't imagine bringing that beast to a relic site (every nail would "ring the bells of Notre dame"). And I can't imagine needing to go any deeper than that already affords you.

The nail pegs this are only like a foot long. Which is an easily attainable depth for the GPX 5000 on a coin-sized signal as it is. So I dunno if your depth doubler is going to give you any more depth there (not sure how far deeper than the pegs it's supposed to affect). And even if you DID do that location, you'd have to try your GPX 5000 again there (not just a standard machine) to make the test comparable.

I would be more interested to see how it works in "Barber Park". If it's anything like my test bed (which was like your "Barber Park"), then that would be interesting . Because I know that ... by the time you and your friends were done with Barber park, you could not squeek any more deep silver from there. Right ? And perhaps my test was not conclusive, because perhaps I just didn't happen to pick a spot with deeper coins.

A buddy of mine had one back in the late 80's or early 90's. We tried it at a couple of different spots that we had worked pretty hard. We'd mark a section, detect it and then we'd hook up the depth doubler and detect the same areas again. We came to the consensus that it didn't work for us. Lugging around the car battery was also a pain. I was in my thirties back then. Now I'd have to build a cart to haul the battery.

Tom Slick said:
.... We came to the consensus that it didn't work for us. ...

Good to hear from Tom Slick. Sounds like you put it through the same scrutiny I did.

Hello Tom,

The Depth Doubler arrived yesterday, it's heavy just with nails alone. The instructions recommend to dig out a small indention (about 3" to 4") to get the rods deeper than their 12" length, that's great now the charged soil is down 15" to 16" inches instead of 12". For farm land, this is great soil is soft and level at the Wood'sville site. Easy setup under 10 minutes, then charge for 10 minutes based from the instructions. For park turf, will take longer to set up especially with hard soil.

Also mentions a total of 14 stakes are used, my model has 18 stakes all connected in two sets of 9 stakes apiece in series. Appears they started with less stakes with an earlier model, or had two different models one covering a smaller area the other a larger area? Or, Same coverage but less stakes with the model having 14 stakes?

I'll set this up this weekend, both park and relic site. Need to charge a car battery, here I was worried the battery would be a setback lugging it around. Think the nail spikes are just as heavy as the battery :tongue:

I'll share results end of this weekend.
Paul

Hello Willy,

You may be right, may be another version with less stakes.

The instructions mention a total of 14 stakes are used, my model has 18 stakes all connected in two sets of 9 stakes apiece in series. Appears they started with less stakes with an earlier model, or had two different models one covering a smaller area the other a larger area? Or, Same coverage but less stakes with the model having 14 stakes?

Once I setup the unit, I'll know the if it covers more ground than the one mentioned with the instructions. The instructions showing it to be 30 feet long by 20 week wide, my model appears to cover more square feet.

I'll share more later, results as well. Also, A friend of mine back east has a Depth Doubler. I've asked him if he will consitter selling it if you're still looking to buy one. His still has the original box and instructions, he say's it was new when he brought it. At a super discount, he mentioned the price and it was for a very low price.

Take care,
Paul

Vlad,

I was reading somewhere the Depth Doubler uses a low frequency, much easier to send Radio electrical waves through the ground. And you're right, in theory this should work.

But location is important, I'll be setting this up in areas known to have produced coins or relics. And of course first try it out on a test bed of deep coins, will share results later.

Paul

Thanks Tom for your experience with the Depth Doubler, appreciate all information good or bad.

Will share my results soon, thanks again.
Paul