Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass Detector & Monte

Boston

Compass said that employees used the Coin Magnum "out in the field" for TWO years, before Compass ever introduced it for sale. Was Monte one of those guys? If so, then what he said "makes sense" to me...

As a dealer I did not see any detectors like he describes...

Mine worked! The last one works better then all the others...

Inside the unit, is a potted white module, which Compass never disclosed to any of the dealers, or to any of the "independent" service repair people, what was inside that potted white module.

Someone should take it apart, but it could very well be destroyed during de-potting. I used to de-pot all kinds of modules, and while I learned the secrets, the modules were always destroyed.

Consider this:

The Coin Magnum employed NO-MOTION discrimination. Anyone else doing this? Rather than having to swing and swing and swing, you could move the coil slowly, even stopping over the target, to see where it was, that was the most important feature in the Coin Magnum in my opinion. The Blanker should have been employed to be "at the beck and call of the user". But it was not! It was a secret that Compass never acknowledged.

But George Payne figured out what it was! George Payne patented the name and use of "blanking circuit" after he figured out what the potted white module was... George Payne made it versatile, made it user friendly! He separated the "man from the boys"...

What Compass failed in was they should not have had the blanking a fixed secret blanking, but an adjustable blanking, just like George Payne did on the Big Bud Pro SE units! It was Compass initiative to "keep the detector into TOP SECRET" that killed the Coin Magnum idea...

Exactly what Whites Electronics did with the Coinmaster V Supreme metal detector... You will never get a schematic of that unit from Whites. I tried. Carl from Whites said they had no schematics of that unit. But a friend of mine, who deals with vintage schematics like I do, found me a copy of that schematic, and son of a gun, even in that copy, Whites did not disclose what that potted module contained in the Whites schematics.... Just like Compass!

Instead of making the machine "limited" in operating nature, they should have made it the "mother of all detectors" with many operating controls. The Coin Magnum has tremendous potential, but it was never unlocked.

...Boston...you picked this post out of another forum since you did that ...you should have also posted Monte's comments concerning the Compass Coin Magnum since that is what the post above was replying to....

I tried but the post was deleated because it showed another forum name and the moderator took action.

You give the surface blanking a lot of credit . But the vast consensus at the time, was not positive. It gave false positives on surface signals if you weren't exactly centered. ( as if they were deeper targets ).

I find this posting thread very interesting. First of all the white potted module, I know what is in is as I have a Compass Coin Magnum factory schematic. And it definitely is a fixed blanking circuit. Compass was the first company to come out with a blanking circuit. Both Bounty Hunter (George Payne) and Tesoro followed with their own version. But I know of no patent by George Payne on the blanking circuit. I must have missed that one...

On the statement of the Coinmaster V Supreme factory schematic, yes it is true that Whites will not give the schematic out. I asked Carl Moreland for a copy, but Carl said that even at Whites there was no copy in the archives. Yet a friend gave me a copy of it. And true, the potted module does not disclose what was in the Whites potted module.

BUT, and it is a big but, in subsequent models schematics, Whites showed the contents of the potted module. I have those as well.

And yes, the later Compass Coin Magnums did indeed work better then earlier models, as I have one of those models as well.

And Boston, I was a authorized Compass Coin Magnum dealer as well. And I liked the Coin Magnum. And I liked the Whites Coinmaster V Supreme, and I have one of those too...

But this last posting, really made me laugh! I am going to quote it here:
Quote:
You give the surface blanking a lot of credit . But the vast consensus at the time, was not positive. It gave false positives on surface signals if you weren't exactly centered. ( as if they were deeper targets ).
Un-Quote:

So my comment here is, Does not EVERY METAL DETECTOR, INCLUDING THE TID METER MACHINES, INCLUDING THE AUDIO ID MACHINES, ALL GIVE FALSE POSTIVE INDICATIONS???? Yes they do......... Everything is based upon resonance, and other targets resonate with positive (non-ferrous) and negative (ferrous) targets.There is NO MAGIC WAND in the metal detector industry... If there was, every metal detector company, would be making today, the VERY SAME metal detector!!!

And in deference to the above included post, I have to agree, EVEN the Compass Coin Magnum was NOT PERFECT, and it was the nebulous claims that made people think it was perfect...

And Ken White Sr, and George Payne, I knew both of them, and both of them were superb men, and both were gentlemen to me.
[size=large]Melbeta[/size]

Melbeta, wow this is an old post.

The problem here, is in the definition of false positives, as it relates to the surface blanking. I had made my post brief, for fear of turning into a long boring post that no one reads to the bottom of. But since you've posted, I'll try to be more specific:

Yes, OF COURSE no detector is 100%, and will give beeps that you have to figure out the good and the bad. I was not talking about those normals of detecting. When it comes to surface blanking HERE is what I was referring to:

For the machine to "blank" (null out, ignore) a larger shallower signal, all it is doing, is rejecting based on intensity. Right ? Because a surface penny is, of course, loud, intense, and shallow. So the machine merely rejects all such louder signals that push the needle that high (so-to-speak), right ? But what this fails to take into account is:

As you are walking hither and yonder through the field detecting, let's say you find yourself a shallow penny. However, for the moment, you were not exactly right over the top of it . Not centered. Hence you are getting the fringe end of that penny, right ? Thus for the moment, it's a weak signal, and your "surface blanker" is allowing you to hear it (the tip end of it anyhow). So the poor md'r goes to try to center, and presto, it disappears. Or conversely, he's convinced that there's perhaps a deepie next to a shallow (afterall, he's getting that deep beep afterall), so he goes to try to dig this "deepie".

Do you see ? It was a confusing matter to a lot of md'rs. Hence much easier to simply let your ears mentally reject and pick out the deep whispers, if that's what you intended to solely chase .

Wish I had kept mine-smooth as silk until metal was detected. Then you had to resweep slowly to see if it was discriminated out by your preselected disc setting. I never found a deep nickel in tab reject-as advertised a however!