Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compass judge 1:nopity:

ufobbs

I have a friend with a compass judge 1 automatic.Cant seem to find if compass is still in business.

He needs a new coil for his mint condition machine. anyone know where I can find one for him or buy an old judge1?

thanks for any help. John...........................

detector attention that might be needed (and many of those earlier TR-Disc. models do get tired circuitry), I feel the $$$ could be better spent toward a newer, modern detector that would be far better balanced, provide superior performance, and certainly ease of operation. It wouldn't have to be a new detector, either. There are a LOT of clean and decent used models available that have the Judge I technology beat that are out there to be had!

Monte

PS: For parts or service, contact Keith Will in Texas.

those high frequency tr's made "hunters" out of a lot of us older guys,as you could actually ascertain
WHAT you were digging based on your ability to tell the "subtle
differences in tonal responses..the real "exciting" benefit was being able to guesstimate
approximately the depth of the coin,type of coin by the volume level and certain tonal response!
some people back then got real "dandy" at this!..it WAS indeed a fun time,with a lot of silver being found at the 4" and 5"
depths,and the 100khz frequencies would ascertain those depths!..i "cut" my teeth as a hunter on those detectors!

(h.h!)
j.t.

I've kept at least one 100 khz TR around for most of the last 35 years, and use one on a regular basis. A 1974 Compass 100 khz Coin Hustler that I use to hunt the graveled or slag parking areas here, and also tot lots, areas where no deep coins are likely to be and where there's a lot of iron in the ground. I made an upper "S" pole from the legs of an old lawn chair, put a Garrett GTA 1000 arm rest on it and it's so light and balanced so well even an old codger like me can swing it fast and for a long time. I bought the Coin Hustler for $20 several years ago and even though it will only get a dime about three inches deep in my mild ground, nickels and quarters at four to five, I've found enough coins and rings with it to pay for it many, many times over, and also pay for a few other detectors:). Once the audio is learned, as you said, most of the trash can be passed up. I like the all metal mode on the Discovery Treasure Baron Goldtrax for the same reason, the audio is similar to the old 100 khz TR's and it's deadly on small gold jewelry:). Photo is of my "modified" Coin Hustler.

coinhustler.jpg

Hi Ufob; Monte and the guys are right. Take that old detector out behind the woodshed and do the right thing.Do you know how many trees were "decorated" with those things??? I think our generation lost count.!!!! Anyway I agree with the guys on this one and bury it. Buy a new one and have a "lot" more fun finding a lot more valuables than he ever thought possible ok??? Suggestion: Tell him to buy a Whites,Fisher, Garrett or Tesoro.Just tell him to ask advice on a good model from the guys here on this Forum.He will not go wrong. OK I wish you good luck. Until later; PEACE:RONB

PS: Lord; Just seeing those hurt.!!!!!! Fond memories.!!!!!!

Tnx for the advice RON.I am sure he wants a new one but what a shame it is that his compass was only used 4 times and it is deffinatly MINT.

The shame of it is that he stored it for so long moisture ruined the coil. The machine still works a bit but backwards on the meter.

I tried to contact Brokendetectors.com but his emails keep comming back un deliverable.,address no good.

Well thanks guys for all the responses, I hope he can open the coil and dry it out. Such a beautiful antique....John...............

Thank you also Monty, if keith is" brokendetectors.com" his email address is no good,so I cant ask him even though I hear he has thousands of coils.

I am sure my pal will probly buy a new one ,what a shame such a beautiful machine too...TNX> John.....................

yes!..jb!..we got "dandy" at discerning what those detectors would say to us!..ohhh how they talked!
with the introduction of the v.l.f technology the increased power of the transmitting frequency ,along with the v.id.meters
created a new approach as to what was down there,due to all tones sounding the same whether shallow,or deep!
although the meters were generally accurate,and the detector could reach the deeper coins,somehow the "magic"
and anticipation just wasn't the same anymore!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Hii folks; He will "never" get the coil to open due to the fact that they were hermetically sealed at the factory.They are "completely" sealed as to make them water "resistant" not water proof" OK. I know its hard to let go of some things like that old sweater proverb but sometimes its the mercifull thing to do.Anyway, I'm sure he'll like the new one.A Whites Prizm or M6 will fill the bill for him nicely.Also a Fisher ID Edge is a good detector. It is "deep" and accurate.Does a great job on the Discrmination, has a 4 tone ID system and its VDI numbers are very accurate as well. The Prizm is a simple turn on and go detector with only 2 control knobs and is fairly accurate in its own Discrimination. Both can be bought for about $300 - $400 used on the Forums Classified Section. OK Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :thumbup:

Hi Folks; I thought we wanted to get him to go mod thatts why I suggested one like the Whites Prizm because of its simple VDI Screen and its cheap. Anyway??? Good Luck.
PEACE:RONB

ufobbs said:
Thank you also Monty, if keith is" brokendetectors.com" his email address is no good,so I cant ask him even though I hear he has thousands of coils.

I am sure my pal will probly buy a new one ,what a shame such a beautiful machine too...TNX> John.....................
Try easttexasmetaldetectors. For some reason the correct site comes up and the reason I know this address is I have dealt with Keith before. Compass was one of his detectors he liked.

Thanks Monty I was able to get Keith in texas and he has a coil for the Compass Judge 1.

So I sent for it.. Thanks for the advise....John

Hi John; That "is" amazing that we can still find stuff like that for sale. Congrats on that one. Was it cheap??????? Just curious. PEACE:RONB :clapping:

Hey Ronb, yes it was ok. $40.00. so I told my neighbor and he said buy it.

But today I found out (in my cellar) the machine still runs the same even with no coil on it?????????????????????????

I think he better send it to texas for repair after we try the coil. He does not want to bury it behind the outhouse or hang it in a tree.

he thinks of it as nostalgic. Oh well he can do what he wants. I will stay with my 5 Whites machines...John................................