Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Conceal Carry when Detecting

Sgt. Silverman

I've been out of detecting for a couple years and now that I'm getting back into it I've since obtained my conceal carry last year. (I used to open carry when I would detect in the boonies only here in NC)

I know this is probably a sensitive subject, but was wondering if the last couple of years events has prompted any of you to start carrying concealed as well? The reason I ask is; I've been approached by a couple of police officers over the years while detecting (just to chat, I've always had permission :)) and I know that many police officers are probably a little skittish with folks carrying firearms (not detectors :)) and didn't know if any of you have had any experiences on the subject?

I know protocol of course with announcing that I am carrying concealed along with showing both my drivers license and my CCH license, but if we have any police officers out here I would love to hear your thoughts / advice on the matter as well.

Thanks and Godspeed everyone!

Greg

I don't really see any problem with carrying, open or concealed. If approached by an officer, just announce that you are carrying, and (usually) no problem !

As a past Reserve Deputy Sheriff, with our local county, I never had a problem with anyone who carried concealed, as long as they had a permit. Back then it wasn't legal to carry open. If it weren't for the no gun rules where I live, I could seriously consider carrying concealed.

Hope you like it here. God bless.

I don't hunt too many places where I feel I need to carry. I feel less need out here in the sticks than certain parts of the city. I do feel in the near future more of us will be as times get worse each day. I know a detective that our club has worked with doing evidence recovery and he told me he thinks all law abiding citizens should carry.

Yes, welcome Reef Runner and God Bless :)

worse. What I would like to know is how I could let a COP know I was a good guy if I was to stop to help an officer that was in a shoot out???

Good Question but I haven't a answer, as you would have to decide for yourself at the time you may or may not help a policeman when he/she is in trouble and having to shoot at the criminal(s)! May God be with you and the police should such a situation occur! This sinful world's sinners are getting worse and worse, for the god of this world, satan and his demons keep trying to murder and destroy us in any way they can by their evil spirits entering the minds of men and women who are willing by being blind and deaf to what is good, so they willingly follow and do evil as satan leads them more and more astray from the goodness of God and His beloved Son, Jesus! We need a huge Revival for hopefully more souls will be saved to bear the spiritual fruits of Jesus instead of hatred and murder that is prevailing in America as of now! God Bless! God Jehovah is the only answer for peace and love in the whole world! Amen! Ma

We live in an age where you are force to carry conceal weapons,as an ex-police officer and ex-marine, keep others safe.:usmc:This may save your live or the lives of others.

When detecting I open carry a Glock 19 with no rounds and a Glock 26 concealed.

I had been stocked several times in our local city park by some of our overwhelming number on immigrants. I know they were trying their best to get behind me to do a smash and run on my detector. Luckily I made it to my truck before they got to me. From that point I got my CC license. We've always had an open carry law but while I see it as a possible deterrent in a situation as I described above, I think open carry is a bad idea in the event of a planned terrorist attack. If a planned shooter can see you have a gun you will be one of the first targets. In public places I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying.

Hello Southwind,
Agree wholeheartedly. Concealed carry is preferable but, for some of us, it's a tough call. The apartment complex where I live is an governmental assisted place to live and, as such, we're told we cannot have any weapons within our residence or on the grounds. In my view, that totally goes against our 2nd ammendment rights. I'm beginning to wonder whether it's really a government rule or something the complex owner cooked up to discourage weapons on the premises.

Hi Southwind and I also agree with you and Martin, for carrying a hidden gun and not out in the open, but even one in the open can be quickly gotten to for using and may stop the criminal or terrorist or more of them, for to me that is better than no gun at all for protection! May God Blessings be with all of you, as you are out :detecting: and having fun with the hobby we on CMD seem to like very much! I can no longer do any MD'ing, but I'm happy when you all find some nice goodies and post them on the Forum for me and others to see and enjoy, also! We have danger everywhere around us in these lawless times with more evilness committed, so be careful and watchful and do your hobby but keep an eye out in front and behind you! Amen! Ma

Yes, by all means carry. As LEO for 23yrs I carry while detecting or just leaving the house, it's second nature for me. If you have a permit to carry concealed & your comfortable with it by all means. If ever approached by a LEO always state that you are CCW, its for your safety & theirs. Always abide by local and state laws when doing so, such as hunting a parks, schools or other posted places. Wish more law biding citizens would take the time & training to exercise the right to carry.. HH

Thanks for the line of sight Thompson44. I always carry concealed when not at work, and feel completely comfortable with it especially while detecting. (Not just for wackado's either; stray dogs, wild boars, etc can also be encountered). I know here in NC LEO's are pretty much in your camp with CCH, just wanted to get some thoughts on the matter which has been great feedback.

Thanks for your service (and CMJ) as a LEO as well, it is greatly appreciated.

God Bless!

Greg

I have a CHL and carry 100% of the time. I live on the north side of Fort Worth and I have never been scared or worried......but why take any chances? There ARE bad people in the world and if they see an "old" guy out by himself they might be willing to try something. Being armed will at least equal things somewhat if needed.

God bless