Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Concenric coil for sovereign? any reviews?

stasys

Hello Sovereign friendly and angry people :happy:, I am just curious does Sovereign has Concentric coil? I would like to hear some reviews about concentric sovereign coil compare to DD. Just real facts from the field, please. from My explorer and etrac and the rest detectors experience it should be good in iron places. Thanks Stasys

The only concentric coil for the Sovereign was an 8" coil made I think by Detech. It's no longer made. I remember back a few years ago somebody on here had one and liked it. A DD coil will do better in trash than a concentric.

Ok , but I think its very hard to say what coil is better in trash, would be nice to see comparison side by side. hear some info. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1565625,1565880

The only place a concentric has good seperation ability is at the very end or tip of the signal in the ground where it is the narrowist. A DD coil has good seperation ability from shallow to deep along it's detection field as it's a narrow detection line from tip to tail. If you are interested in a concentric I'd suggest the SEF 12x10 or 15x12 because they are a sort of hybrid with a small concentric type field in the center while being DD out towards the tips. These coils have an even tighter detection field in the left/right perspective than a typical DD or concentric coil. While left/right seperation is excellent in the center, waiving the tip or tail of the coil at the target will really sniper things out with laser like precision. I can't over state how much better my 12x10 is over the stock 10" coil in terms of seperation, depth, and stability.

Thank you Critterhunter I am a bit suspicious about your Sef coil statement, have tested allot DD FBS coils and where is not narrow detecting field its more like elongated concentric coil field, but yes a bit narrowed. Thanks Stasys

Don't take my word for it. Go on KellyCo's site and you'll see that they describe the SEF coil as a sort of morphed hybrid being mostly DD but somewhat concentric in the center.

A DD detection field is a line from tip to tail of the coil in the center. Concentrics are more of a field generated acrossed the entire face of the coil, narrowing down at the tip. What this means is a DD has better seperation ability in the left/right perspective than a concentric. The SEF 12x10 puts out an even tighter field in the left/right perspective, making seperation excellent and laser like.

Actually there's a myth about concentric coils. The old snow-cone shape detection field that everyone thinks is not entirely true. It's more like a bowl at the end of the detection field before you lose the signal completely. I read this and did some testing to confirm it. Also the DD coil is not a wiper blade with equal detection depth from front to back. The depth tapers off at the ends. As far as coverage there's very little difference. The advantage with DD coils is in minerals, with good ground you will find deeper stuff and more of it with a concentric coils. That's why for years the companies sold their detectors with concentric coils. . Take the minelab exteras for example. I will say that minelab prefers to put DD coils on their multi frequency detectors. I don't know why.

JHM said:
Actually there's a myth about concentric coils. The old snow-cone shape detection field that everyone thinks is not entirely true. It's more like a bowl at the end of the detection field before you lose the signal completely. I read this and did some testing to confirm it. Also the DD coil is not a wiper blade with equal detection depth from front to back. The depth tapers off at the ends. As far as coverage there's very little difference. The advantage with DD coils is in minerals, with good ground you will find deeper stuff and more of it with a concentric coils. That's why for years the companies sold their detectors with concentric coils. . Take the minelab exteras for example. I will say that minelab prefers to put DD coils on their multi frequency detectors. I don't know why.
thanks, this is what my test shows too, good words, :cheekkiss:

Great thread Stasys! I was wondering this exact thing myself and also posted about it in the E-Trac forum. I hope more people post here so I can put this idea to rest. HH -Marc

Stasys,not so fast on the conclusion of the concentric and the DD coil.With all the checking on post you seem to have over looked people who actually used these coils on their Sovereigns.I bought a concentric coil for my GT about five years ago and was very disappointed.The concentric coil I used gave very erratic reading on my Sunray meter and very poor tones with the Sovereign.The ground used was neutral a nice groomed park.The Minelab coils worked much better for depth and scan coverage.These company's are out to make money if the concentric worked better(or even as well) on Minelabs you would have a large selection to choose from.IMHO the concentric coil for the Sovereign is a very poor choice. HH Ron

HH Ron, I just raised this concentric coil question when I tested my Tejon concentric coil against my French XP Goldmax with DD, My test showed that in allot iron concentric coil can give some advantage- of cause it can be some detector differences, but concentric coils detecting field is a bit smaller and different shape if coil size the same compare to DD coils and logically can be some space to use them. ,
Can agree what I just said is just theoretical and only my guess and can be different on different detectors and depend from the different ground conditions. BBS and FBS is similar and if your experience using one on Sovereign is not positive it can be- it will never work on this detectors like DD coils or we have to wait something new. Thank you all. Stasys

If you weigh the pros and cons of concentric versus DD my vote is for DD. You don't have to overlap your sweeps as much to make sure you aren't missing targets at extreme depth. DD coils "ride" on or handle mineralized ground better because they are soaking in less of it. Detectors with concentric coils in general have a harder time handling ground mineralization due to this. DD coils retain sensitivity to small targets better when the coil size gets much past about 10". A large concentric coil will in general not be as sensitive to small targets as a DD. From owning 5 or 6" concentric coils and my 5.5" S-5 coil I get much better depth out of the DD S-5. I'm actually stunned by it's depth....as deep as the Whites 9.5" concentric coil in my soil. Reason being I think I've read that a small DD gets better depth than a concentric of the same size. The detection field of a GOOD DD (like the 10" Tornado or 12x10) in the left/right perspective is thinner for the entire length of the signal. Meaning you can seperate targets next to each other better with a DD from shallow to deep. A concentric does it's best seperation at the end of the detection field, while it's signal up near the coil is much more broad and thus has less seperation ability in the left/right perspective. My only complaint about a DD coil is it's harder to pinpoint with using the center of the coil.

JHM said:

that isnt a myth at all, on some concentrics it is true. I havent used them all, all that are out there, but those that I have I can say the 8" and 5" CZ coils and the 8" Tesoro concentric coils all have that snowcone effect. Now a Shadow X5s 9" and 7" do not, that really popped out to me when I first started using one of those detectors. But the CZs and Tesoros certainly do mimic a snow cone, on those coils anyways.
From those Ive used (DD coils) you are correct about the shape of it but I disagree on the coverage. Check out a minelab 8" coinsearch at depth versus a CZ5 with 8" coil and you will see a few inches difference.

Ive read for the longest time the advantage of the DD coil is in minerals but it seems to me its the seperation you get with it compared to a concentric. Not saying they dont have an advantage in minerals but the seperation part seems to fall by the wayside.
And Minelab does make a load of DD coils for the Xterra line, at least 4 or 5 coils. Its not just concentrics on them.