Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Concentric coil

Scottowl

The 7" concentric coil I ordered showed up last Friday, and some exceptionally nice weather for this area(or anywhere, really) allowed me to get some time in with it.

Understand this is shallow clad(nothing over 4"), but within the first half-hour I did not need my pin pointer or trowel. I used a coin probe and an index finger to make all recoveries. The pin pointing ability of this coil is very enjoyable.

I can expect the VDI numbers to be more closely grouped to the target(no more than a 3 numeral fluctuation with the concentric, opposed to a 5 or more swing with the DD coils).

I won't abandon the 2 DD coils I have, especially the 5" round one. I will be finding the time for the concentric, however!

I have previously noted the R2 with the appropriate coil can out-gun either of my MXT or IDX detectors. I also have a XL Pro, that I thought was safe from the Racer. However, after further review, I can see where the R2 and stock elliptical coil can emulate that performance as well. Are there any larger coils out there that can do a good job hunting ball fields, with the goal of increased ground coverage?

Another bit of versatility my other detectors cannot match was driven home in a situation I put myself in the other night.

It was late in the evening, with less than an hour until dark, and I arrived at a field I had been meaning to check out for a while. I was so rushed to get in maximum detecting time that I made the 1/2 mile hike without my headphones! Rather than go back after them, I decided to do without, and let her blare!

I was in 2 tone, which can be chattery, and there were curious kids around. Since I didn't want a siren calling them over, I decided to turn the sound off and use the vibrate feature. I ended up really liking that, especially after turning on the backlight as daylight was expiring. I had 2 senses calling attention to targets while freeing up my ears to listen for anybody wanting to join me.

I'm sure you guys know about this already, but I was pleased to find out about it. I realize it is not ideal when you are in the trash or looking for deep targets, but sometimes mindless 'cladding' lets me blow off some steam.

This little R2 unit has really been changing my detecting habits. I find myself looking for the most advantageous sweep speed and techniques, as well as wanting to work on faster, more efficient and NEATER recoveries.

So far so good with the Racer 2.

I too enjoy the 7" concentric on my Red Racer. Favorite coil.

Just wondering: Does the vibration negatively impact battery life ? I've never tried the vibration mode on my CoRe but I could use it in places that have very little trash. I have been using my Makro pin pointer in vibration mode exclusively since day one and love it.

general-purpose hunting, and that applies to either a Makro Racer 2 or the Nokta Impact. The round 5" DD is my #2 search coil favorite for the very densely littered sites or those with a more confined search area due to rocks, dense brush or building rubble. If I prefer a DD coil that is a little larger, then my 3rd search coil pick is the open-frame 5X9½ and then, if I really feel the need, I opt for a standard coil. In then end, however, if I were restricted to only one search coil for all my hunting needs with a Racer 2, it would be the 7" Concentric coil.

Best of success to you as we get out to enjoy some pleasant fall weather. Let's hope for a milder winter than last year as it was torturous and record-setting here in Vale. Matter-of-fact dawn is just now starting so I think I'll head off to enjoy a nice day. It's a crisp 30° now but is supposed to work up to about 72° today and be mostly sunny. Now all I have to do is find a potentially productive site to hunt. :detecting:

Monte

I have 4 coils for my racer 2,,and although I can agree that each coil serves a purpose I use the stock coil 95 percent of the time.The makro oor,snake and the makro 5x10 enclosed,,none give me as hard or more solid audio and visual ID as the stock coil..I guess I’m just the opposite of everyone,I think the stock coil is the best..I hunt Parks,yards,Woods,curb strips,just about everywhere.

Scottowl - You've found out the same thing I did after I first got a Racer. It replaced a few of my favorite detectors like the MXT Pro and a Mr. Bill modified IDX Pro. I loved those two but didn't have a need for them anymore. I hated to part with the IDX but it just sat on a hook in the garage all sad and everything, so I sent it to a new home where it would be loved by someone that had not used a Racer before. I have since moved to the Racer 2 and the Impact. My most used Racer 2 coil is the 5.5 X 9.5 CORS Fortune (same as the NEL Scout). Next it would have to be the CORS Shrew (same as NEL Snake). I prefer it over the OOR and 5" round DD coils I have, for it's extra coverage and being able to get it into tight spots.
I recently received the 7" concentric coil for my Impact and it will probably become my most used Impact coil though I do have the three other Nokta Impact coils.

That's what is great about having the Racer or Racer 2 is that between the manufacture and aftermarket, there is a pretty extensive choice of coils.

It's been 5 weeks since the theft from my Tahoe and mothering has surfaced, so I started rebuilding my detector battery. I already got my 2nd Nokta Impact and now have every coil made for it, making up all the coils U had at the time of the theft. Yesterday I got a 2nd FORS CoRe back in my Regular-Use Detector Team, and I have a 2nd FORS Relic on the way to me now as well. I have also been slowly replacing the two detector bags I used for accessories coils, rods, headphones, pinpointers and such, and about the only available search coil I still need to get is the 7" Concentric for the Racer 2.

I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 7" Concentric on my Impact and to get a 7" Con. for the Racer 2 to be well outfitted again. Of all the search coils stolen, it is the 7" Concentrics, and 5" for the Impact, that I missed the most. Sure hope to do that before the deeper cold and snows come our way. I just checked your town and NOAA thinks you'll have a good weekend, in the low-to-mid 50°'s, so I hope you can find some sites to hunt.

You've had the 7" Concentric for about a month and I'm curious what you think about it now?

Monte

Good Report Scottowl, :thumbup:

Rich

I have been busy at work, and there is not much daylight after work these days. I am looking forward to 3 uninterrupted days of detecting over the week end. I am shocked to see some temperate weather in the forecast!

As far as the concentric, it is permanently affixed to the end of the R2! I have the IDX with the small coil for fence lines and toy lots, and the XL Pro for ball fields, but quite honestly, the R2 can be configured to do what either of them can do, and more. There may be one thing; that sweet sound of a deeper coin on the XL Pro is like a high end musical instrument.

I do feel the average hunting environment has changed on us since the 6000 series Whites ruled. There are no more silver half dollars laying around the school yard, waiting to be plucked. The good old targets are still there for a reason. They are masked by other targets.

I was using the Racer in an older park that I have had some luck at over the years. I could hear iron chattering in the background, but there was also a hint of high tone, and the VDI responded as well. Naturally, I had to investigate. After some tough digging in tree roots, I got the rusted remnants of an old bottle cap.

I just knew there was something else, and ran the coil back over. I got nothing but high tone in 3 tone mode, with a 80 VDI. I figured there was more digging to do.

I would sure like to report it was an old SLQ or the like, but it was 'just' a 40's wheatie. The point is, I found it, and I would not have with any of my other present detectors. It is also a desirable target that was missed by who knows how many other detectors, and I am fairly certain it had been there since it was a shiny youngster. Also, I applied some previous detecting experience in my effort to get my habits on the level of the Makro's performance potential.

In the jewelry department, I have a hand full of silver trinkets, and a couple of titanium or other type of tarnish-resistant metal. The sterling items are obvious high targets, but I was positive the two rings were going to turn up gold based on VDI. I have been over reaching for gold, as I have not yet scored in that department with the Racer. I have been digging up a good quantity of tin foil and can slaw.

The thing about our hobby is that you never really know what is there until you see for yourself. I have been on sessions where I got tired of zinc, and skipped a few of them. One time I was only digging every other one, and came up with a sterling toe ring. After that it was back to digging the zinc!

I am looking forward to searching two old houses from the 1920's this week end. I have been told to not expect much, as they have been searched before. I figure what the heck. I bet there are not too many spots that haven't!

Tom, I like the stocker as well. I did not when I first used it, but I did not know of the Racers capability.
Using that coil in a place that will give you an advantage, such as a ball field, illustrates what a good all around machine we are using.