Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Concentric search coil

coin hunter

Has anyone used a 9 by11 concentric search coil on the AT PRO. I know the theory bigger coils go deeper .The DD coil is doing fine but the concentric looks to be a little more coil to it. Not to worried about seperation of targets were im going, corn fields.Looking at least to start the spring with a least something new .

It gives better ID, is able to ID more bottle caps as such and is much easier to pinpoint with. The target separation is not as good as with a DD coil though. I have soil with fairly low mineralization, so the concentric coil is probably a good choice. A higher mineralized soil would probably take away some depth from the concentric coil, making the DD a better choice. And yes, I also like the bigger footprint which the concentric coil gives me.

Please read the tech sheet on coils from the link below:

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_searchcoil_tech_sheet.aspx

That question was asked recently and a chart of depths between the DD and Concentric coils was posted. According to that the concentric would get an inch more depth in Pro Zero mode, but only on certain targets. You should be able to find that chart here.

I was hoping there would be a larger after market coils like for my ACE 350 that is 10 x 14.

grumpysrb said:
I was hoping there would be a larger after market coils like for my ACE 350 that is 10 x 14.

You mean like this one?
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/excelerator/excelerator-10inch.htm

Then again, there's the SEF 15"x12" and I think I've even seen a 18"x15" SEF for sale on the famous online auction site. Also, that Garrett made 10"x14" DD for the GTP 1350 works on the Ace series. However, the Garrett coil is much heavier than the Excellerator or SEF search coils, and it's not any deeper.

I like to use that 9"x12" Concentric on the AT Pro at the beach. It's the heaviest search coil for the AT Pro, but I've been using that straight shaft by Plugger. So, over all the machine is heavier, but the center of gravity is right at the handgrip, so it's much easier to swing for an extended period. As opposed to having to constantly keep lifting up on the front end of the detector, becuase it's so nose heavy with that stock shaft, ya know.

Best of luck to ya!:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)

I am a believer in having different coils for different situations and different hunting environments. I watched the Sniper Coil video many times, as I had a difficult locating anyone who actually SHOWED any jewelry finds from using that coil. I'm a "seeing is believing" kind of person. I received my Sniper Coil last week and first time out experimenting with it was very rewarding. My personal style is focused on finding gold jewelry. (no salt water hunting) Fairly mild weather here in Northern California allows me to hunt pretty near year around, except for the occasional 100 year flood. Ground mineralization is moderate to heavy here. I'm always looking for any advantage I can. I have no issues in purchasing any accessories to assist me in getting what I want, namely the gold jewelry. I know concentric coils give a person a larger cover area on a single sweep. I know (generally speaking) the smaller the coil the more sensitive it is to small gold jewelry. When I'm not around the fresh water beaches, I hunt mainly at parks and schools. There are some open areas I feel a concentric coil would possibly better suited. Would the 6.5X9 concentric be more effective than the 9X12 for gold jewelry sized targets? Here we go now, has anyone used either one of the concentric coils? Under what site conditions? How was the coverage? What were the results? How about gold jewelry results? Are any finds (results) posted? Perhaps the Sniper Coil, 5X8 DD and 8.5X11 DD are the Big 3. Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.