Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

concentric vs DD on bottle caps and coins

asiandigger

Want to ask you MDs out there what you guys /gals think, I personally think the DD is better, but there's MD out there that said the concentric is better in trashy area and can identify bottle caps better than DD, and said that DD reads bottle caps as coins,

DD's offer better target separation, so they would be my first choice for hunting trashy sites. However there are some things that a concentric will see better than the DD, so not a bad idea to use both at the same site if you have them. Concentrics are generally better than DD's for identifying steel (crown) bottle caps. For the DD's though, it depends on the machine. Bottle cap ID's can be anywhere from excellent to exasperating. There are tricks that you can use with DD's to increase ID accuracy on bottle caps.

In general concentrics are quieter, disc better (better bc killers) and are deeper, and I've been doing this for 42 years (longer if including the military-but circumstances were different.)

vlad said:
In general concentrics are quieter, disc better (better bc killers) and are deeper, and I've been doing this for 42 years (longer if including the military-but circumstances were different.)
I HOPE YOU DIDN"T MISS MANY TARGETS WHEN YOU FIRST STARDED!!!!!!

My choice is to use one detector that allows both type coils or two seperate metal detectors . I have used some high end detectors using only DD coils and then was shocked when I used a cheaper model only having a concentric coil..... pulling CW bullets from iron in the same exact location. The DD is great for high mineral soil and allows better coverage with each sweep. Concentric coils have better pinpointing, correct ID, deeper depth (size per size), and better screw cap rejection. As far as unmasking good targets in iron depends on what model detector your using and size of coil. I prefer the 8x6 SEF DD coil, but lets face it one coil will not cover every application.

asiandigger said:
Want to ask you MDs out there what you guys /gals think, I personally think the DD is better, but there's MD out there that said the concentric is better in trashy area and can identify bottle caps better than DD, and said that DD reads bottle caps as coins,

In trashy spots, small concentrics every time...for me, anyway. Only places I prefer DD's are wide open areas with few targets, where I run minimal disc and plan on digging everything that sounds good. On any of my Tesoros, even those best at ignoring small iron, using a DD will have bottle caps not discing out 'till past the nickel range. No fun if you're wanting to find nickels (or small gold coins and jewelry) around nails or bottle caps.

Aside from requiring less frequent GB adjustment in highly mineralized ground, the only real advantage I see to a DD is better area coverage. Better discrimination and precise pinpointing always goes to the concentric, at least on my Tesoros.

I hunt some trashy places, so prefer concentrics 90% of the time, and I have both types of coil in several sizes.

Rather than just reading what others say about each type coil though, I urge you to try both types yourself and see what works best for you, in your soil and on your detectors.

The cone shaped tip of the electromagnetic field from a small concentric can winkle coins and rings out of deeper trash better , much better...

Depends on the unit....Minelab and their Explorer series have no problems with the rusty bottle cap...