Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

conductive tones versus ferrous

destructo

my first 2 hunts with the SE i was using ferrous and did ok but today went to same spot and found more clad, quarter, dimes, memorials and a couple nickles(thanks Steve) and an Alabama 1 mill/cent tax token using conductive. This has me wondering a little. Any one have more luck with one or the other? I got the quarter using conductive next to a tree that i am pretty sure i went around 2 times with the stock coil and 2 times with the 6x8 while in ferrous sounds. I used the ferrous a lot with the etrac but the conductive seems real nice right now. Maybe I should go back to some spots and recheck with the conductive sounds? Thanks. D

Conductive tones are more stable. If you notice the screen does a lot more jumping around in Ferr. Near targets may give the wrong tone at first until you center the target. BUT.... there are occasions you may want to use Ferr over Cond. I prefer Ferr when field hunting those lower toned targets like coppers and buttons come more to the for front and you hear the iron better since you tend to open up the disc more. Also.... hot rocks hit different. Some hunt Ferr all the time.... a lot has to do with how you start out. I believe thou on deep targets especially silver where the smart screen does a lot of jumping Con for me works better. There are a lot of options on the Exp giving you various tones and ways to hunt a site. Much like some like the smartscreen ...others the digitial. Once you learn the machine you will be hunting by tone.... everyones hearing is different. Some likes the low tone of iron others the high broken pitch.

I love how ferrous tones makes a high conductive stand out from the iron when there's lots of iron to hear. Like Dewcon said, you can use less discrimination or iron mask in ferrous tones. I hunt in all metal often with ferrous tones then listen for even small changes in pitch.