Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Conductivity of Gold vs Silver

GTzer

I did not do a search yet. Why is gold (even al) described as low Conductivity compared to silver or copper? It's obviously different.
But aren't they all great conductive metals- of electricity? None are magnetic. SO what are the detectors measuring? -resistance, oxidation .......

Although the term "conductivity" is commonly used to describe target properties, what the detector is looking for is the target's "time constant". A targets time constant is comprised of its inductance and its conductivity. If you take a look in the FAQFAQ section listed near the top of these posts, you'll find an articl written by Bruce Candy of Minelab that has a lot of interesting information concerning this very subject. HH Randy

Metal Detector Basics and Theory --- paper by Bruce Candy
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/METAL%20DETECTOR%20BASICS%20AND%20THEORY.pdf

Digger said:
Although the term "conductivity" is commonly used to describe target properties, what the detector is looking for is the target's "time constant". A targets time constant is comprised of its inductance and its conductivity. If you take a look in the FAQFAQ section listed near the top of these posts, you'll find an articl written by Bruce Candy of Minelab that has a lot of interesting information concerning this very subject. HH Randy

Metal Detector Basics and Theory --- paper by Bruce Candy
http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/11043/METAL%20DETECTOR%20BASICS%20AND%20THEORY.pdf

Great post Digger!

Silver and copper are a better conductivity of electricity than gold and aluminum, and gold is a better conductivity of electricity than iron, and iron is a better conductivity of electricity than wood or rubber, And boy, rubber boots are sure a poor conductivity of electricity, as you probably know what I mean, but if you wore boots made of aluminum you would sure feel the electrical difference first hand.!

David,
Thanks for stating the obvious. Looks like in the MD process there is a more complex meaning along with the electrical conductive properties of the metals. That was one of the reasons for my post. In order of (least) resistance (actually the least,lesser resistance =a more efficient path to conduct electricity) the order would be Silver,copper,gold aluminum. All 4 are great conductors of electricity and in a general sense -interchangeable- that is- Al is used instead of copper (due to cost) for the power line coming into your house.
Because it "oxidizes" into a more brittle form than copper- it has been outlawed for "in house" electric. Because gold doesn't oxidize it can replace silver in certain high tech and harsh environment applications.
All being great conductors-I couldn't imagine that a MD could detect such small variations in electrical conductivity alone. And they don't.
And they actually do make conductive rubber -now days- but I get what you were trying to say.

Great link. Thanks Digger.