Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confederate Dog River Sword !!!!

Hey guys,

I found one of those "dream finds" this week. While searching a "hunted out" area, this beautiful thing screamed at me. It was in the middle of 12-15 horse shoes. I found it in Southern Middle Tennessee around the Shelbyville/Tullahoma area. My hunting buddy found eight Confederate Buttons (six Georgia State Seals and two Drooped Wings). It was a find of a lifetime. I was using the ole E-TRAC, but everyone knows it is always the operator anyway.

Thanks, it was a great New Year's gift. It was a slow day, I found a couple of roller buckles and two fired bullets. I think all the horse shoes discouraged the previous hunters. I like to hunt around trashy areas.

No, I think Dewayne was happy for us. But I had to aggravate him a little by saying that "I drove all the way from Knoxville to find a broken sword". He gave me the one finger salute, jokingly of course. Nick tore it up the previous day. So Dewayne was ready for us to go home.

Very nice find....that should keep your hunting blood flowing. TomB

I had a hunt last summer on an old homestead site which was very trashy and pulled a nice large penny out between the trash. It only showed in one direction but showed every time between nails and scrap. It was a 1906 Newfoundland penny.

Nice find.

HH

You know the problem with finding great relics? You just want to find more and more. The sword was about four inches deep. It gave me a strong brass signal, but no iron, even though the blade is iron. There was some modern junk in the field so I had not idea what the object was. The blade was broken with great force. Since I found it around all of those horseshoes, I think the soldier was either using it as a picket pin or was trying to pry off a shoe from his mount. The area I found it in would not be conducive for farming, so a disc or a plow probably did not break it. I did look for both the scabbard and the rest of the blade with no luck. Other hunters could have found both. I have a hunch that maybe the rest of the blade is in the ground vertical, if he used it as a picket pin. As far as the scabbard who knows?

Thanks for all the congrats!!

Lynn

http://www.lostandfoundrelics.com/d1_digging_page.htm

Check out the days finds at the above link.

Thanks
Lynn

Was this "DOG RIVER" sword made in Mobile at our dog river site?I was watching "American Pickers tonight and the bought a sword that was called a dog river sword from Alabama.