Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confronted while detecting

Nate’s metal detecting

This morning I was detecting down at a local church that had a catholic school on it that had been around for quite some time. I had detected this place COUNTLESS of times throughout the summer and managed to find a few wheat pennies and 2 war nickels without any people complaining. In fact I had many people that were interested and some even invited me to detect their properties. This morning was quite different. I had a lady confront me asking what I was doing and I simply said “metal detecting” she was like “yeah but your digging holes, ever time I look up your digging another one” so after about 45 seconds of talking and me just a teenager trying to stick up for myself that I always fill in my holes and are very neat she STILL wasn’t buying it and she continued to claim that kids would go and play and then trip on my hole. So I simply told her that I’ll leave and left it at that.

I wanted to post this on here because I’m sure I’m not the only person that’s been confronted while detecting. I honestly would’ve thought someone would’ve been proud to see a young teenager out and about digging “holes” instead of doing drugs and playing on video games.
What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 5476D3DA-997E-4D3F-BF3B-6E45BB0A3CB8.jpeg
    5476D3DA-997E-4D3F-BF3B-6E45BB0A3CB8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 126
This morning I was detecting down at a local church that had a catholic school on it that had been around for quite some time. I had detected this place COUNTLESS of times throughout the summer and managed to find a few wheat pennies and 2 war nickels without any people complaining. In fact I had many people that were interested and some even invited me to detect their properties. This morning was quite different. I had a lady confront me asking what I was doing and I simply said “metal detecting” she was like “yeah but your digging holes, ever time I look up your digging another one” so after about 45 seconds of talking and me just a teenager trying to stick up for myself that I always fill in my holes and are very neat she STILL wasn’t buying it and she continued to claim that kids would go and play and then trip on my hole. So I simply told her that I’ll leave and left it at that.

I wanted to post this on here because I’m sure I’m not the only person that’s been confronted while detecting. I honestly would’ve thought someone would’ve been proud to see a young teenager out and about digging “holes” instead of doing drugs and playing on video games.
What do y’all think?
Nate you are a teenager too? That’s awesome I’m 14. This has happened to me too, unless it’s a really good spot I’ll just leave, I don’t want any trouble.

Nate you are a teenager too? That’s awesome I’m 14. This has happened to me too, unless it’s a really good spot I’ll just leave, I don’t want any trouble.
Yup. I’d say I could probably talk to some people and make sure they don’t have a problem with me detecting it because this is the only time I’ve heard had a person say anything about it. However I might just do like you said and leave it because I’ve hunted it so so many times I’ve gotten my fair share out of it.

Hey guys, good job what you’re doing and how you’re handling things. Neither of you mentioned having permission to be on the property to begin with. If confronted, tell the person you have permission from “xxx” and if they have a concern to please go talk to them. Nine times outta ten that person will just leave. For all you know the lady may have a detectorist friend she is covering for as well. Never, EVER, get in their face as that will get you booted by the owner. Meanwhile, fill your digs and be respectful of the property and you will come out ahead.

What do y’all think?
Nate--She might have been responsible for the grounds & may have felt responsible for children maybe getting hurt--so to try & explain that you fill your holes would be pushing the situation of her thoughts of imagining big holes causing a fall, a broken leg, arm & etc--at least she wasn't just concerned about messing up a manicured Church & School Yard & instead the children! I used to detect a Catholic Church & School Ball Field --Not the yard where the little kiddos played but I did have permission & I lived in the neighborhood not far away & there were times they would try to find overgrown water sprinklers in the main grassy Ball Field & I helped find them! They were always mainly nice to me & I'm not Catholic but I am A born again creation in Christ Jesus & therefore a Christian & treated others with kindness & respect--for they mostly got to know me! Not saying you don't--Just that she hadn't seen you before & she was very concerned about your digging holes!

Try to get permission & if denied just let them know if they ever need your help using your metal detector to find water sprinklers or lost items that you would be happy to do so--no charge & then give them a card with your name & tel number --give to those you meet & talk to--& SEE DOORS (Yards) open up to you--lots of people lose rings & jewlery given to them that would make them grieve if lost! God Bless & Best of luck in Treasure Hunting--you have years ahead of you! I was in my mid-40s when I started & detectors are more fine tuned & efficient in your time of detecting! I am 85, ill & no longer able to do anything strenous! Ma Betty

Nate--She might have been responsible for the grounds & may have felt responsible for children maybe getting hurt--so to try & explain that you fill your holes would be pushing the situation of her thoughts of imagining big holes causing a fall, a broken leg, arm & etc--at least she wasn't just concerned about messing up a manicured Church & School Yard & instead the children! I used to detect a Catholic Church & School Ball Field --Not the yard where the little kiddos played but I did have permission & I lived in the neighborhood not far away & there were times they would try to find overgrown water sprinklers in the main grassy Ball Field & I helped find them! They were always mainly nice to me & I'm not Catholic but I am A born again creation in Christ Jesus & therefore a Christian & treated others with kindness & respect--for they mostly got to know me! Not saying you don't--Just that she hadn't seen you before & she was very concerned about your digging holes!

Try to get permission & if denied just let them know if they ever need your help using your metal detector to find water sprinklers or lost items that you would be happy to do so--no charge & then give them a card with your name & tel number --give to those you meet & talk to--& SEE DOORS (Yards) open up to you--lots of people lose rings & jewlery given to them that would make them grieve if lost! God Bless & Best of luck in Treasure Hunting--you have years ahead of you! I was in my mid-40s when I started & detectors are more fine tuned & efficient in your time of detecting! I am 85, ill & no longer able to do anything strenous! Ma Betty
Thanks for the advice Ma I totally understand what your talking about. I wouldn’t have thought that she was thinking that I was digging large hole because I was just using my lesche digger however it is possible. Like you had mentioned I as well live right down the road from this church and it’s even the church I attend. I think this lady would’ve been alright with me detecting if she had just knew me a bit more... in the years past they would always have a “picnic” and my farther would always help cook, so most people who saw me knew who I was. I don’t however think this lady knew this because she didn’t recognize my name when I told her it.

In the end looking back I should’ve told her that I had permission with one of the lady’s who had helped a lot with the church, but I guess in the moment and surprise of it all I just wasn’t think and didn’t feel like getting into a big discussion.

Nate and Cowboy 007, you both are doing the right thing by leaving. Old Church sites, though, are a spot where I would ask for permission to hunt. Its not exactly public property.

On the other hand, I am a firm believer in keeping a low profile. By this I mean, hunt at times when no one or few others are around. I hunt a lot of old parks, schools and city owned vacant lots and demo sites. I hit such spots at first good hunting light, ie, early mornings, when none or few people are around. Typically, schools are in session M-F, so I hit them Sat or Sun.

You guys are to be commended. Just keep a low profile and keep doing what you are doing. HH Jim tn

Thanks for the advice Ma I totally understand what your talking about. I wouldn’t have thought that she was thinking that I was digging large hole because I was just using my lesche digger however it is possible. Like you had mentioned I as well live right down the road from this church and it’s even the church I attend. I think this lady would’ve been alright with me detecting if she had just knew me a bit more... in the years past they would always have a “picnic” and my farther would always help cook, so most people who saw me knew who I was. I don’t however think this lady knew this because she didn’t recognize my name when I told her it.

In the end looking back I should’ve told her that I had permission with one of the lady’s who had helped a lot with the church, but I guess in the moment and surprise of it all I just wasn’t think and didn’t feel like getting into a big discussion.
You are welc ome Nate! I really liked their School Picnics--Lots of coins to find & not even dig! I would say that with you attending Church services & your dad cooking for picnics & Fish Fries? there should be no problems being there on the grounds--next time if you are confronted-- just tell them all that & let them know nicely about your dad & ask them their name & if they are new members--You shake hands & welcome them. if older members just say who's child you are & that you are glad to meet & know them! I think this will get around by your parents telling the story of your encounter & you will be okay--but getting permission is always best--than you have peace in being able to detect without worry of being run off--which I know by expierience hurts feelings & makes a SAD DAY! Hope you find silver & gold & bless your mom & dad with something nice that is found & given them by you! Ma Betty

You are welc ome Nate! I really liked their School Picnics--Lots of coins to find & not even dig! I would say that with you attending Church services & your dad cooking for picnics & Fish Fries? there should be no problems being there on the grounds--next time if you are confronted-- just tell them all that & let them know nicely about your dad & ask them their name & if they are new members--You shake hands & welcome them. if older members just say who's child you are & that you are glad to meet & know them! I think this will get around by your parents telling the story of your encounter & you will be okay--but getting permission is always best--than you have peace in being able to detect without worry of being run off--which I know by expierience hurts feelings & makes a SAD DAY! Hope you find silver & gold & bless your mom & dad with something nice that is found & given them by you! Ma Betty
Thank you once again Ma! I truly appreciate your words of wisdom and it makes me feel much better about the whole situation and any other situation what may pop up in the future.

You are doing the right things with permission, filling holes and judgement on the encounter. One skill you could develop is to use a big long screw driver to pop the targets from the ground. That way you make even a smaller disturbance to fill in. If someone says something about digging holes ... with the screw driver you are merely aerating the sod. You do greatly increase the odds of scratching the target, just one of the many trade-offs of metal detecting and target recovery.

Glad to see you and coinboy007 being involved, being smart about things and making great finds.

What do y’all think?
one thing you need to remember church property is private property and you still need permission from the church first.

I have been detecting an old Moose lodge for years never ever had a problem until
some middle aged women came over one day and stated In on me about everything she could think of. She carried on for a good
five minutes I just ignored her like I didn't see her until she got right in front of me I had to stop or I would have knocked her over.
as soon as I stop I said in a real loud voice " WHAT DID YOU SAY" this startled her and she jumped back, after I took off the headphones
I said these are noise cancelling headphones lady I didn't hear a word you said is your car broke down or something?
She just looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead and she just walked off. I must of laughed for and hour straight.

Last edited:
I have been confronted by people over the years too... this has taken place where I know it is fine to detect too.
One person called the cops on us at a park.
The officer drove up and I had an idea what had happened.
He told my buddy and I someone reported two guys digging holes in the park... I said that is us... now go find the holes (jokingly of course)
The officer laughed and said he needed to respond to the call and told us to have a nice day.
He also said he sees there all time and he would rather see us than some of the people that hang around there.
Another day a woman got after my buddy and then said something to me at a school.
I told him lets go to the other side of school away from her where we proceeded to find a great amount of quarters... I think we ended up finding about 100 quarters, went and got a pizza and laughed about the whole affair.
Don't let this deter you or get you down.
You handled yourself as best as you can... she just did not understand what you were doing.
If in question, I simply move on, but if I know I am in the right, I stand my ground.
My logic is that I am doing less harm than people not picking up after their dogs in parks and schoolyards!

I to have had this happen. I explain what I am doing. I then ask if they would like to see how it is done. I explain how the detector works and ask if they would like to see if they could find
a target. Most have said yes they would. When they find a target I ask if I can show them how to dig it. I dig the target out and very carefully cover the hole up. I put it back so that they can hardly
see where the hole was I them walk away several feet and talk to them for a few minutes, then I ask them to walk back and find where we dug. After that I hear no more about it and in many cases they thank me. Some times a few weeks you will see them in the park with a metal detector. We wave and go on.

Carver

I to have had this happen. I explain what I am doing. I then ask if they would like to see how it is done. I explain how the detector works and ask if they would like to see if they could find
a target. Most have said yes they would. When they find a target I ask if I can show them how to dig it. I dig the target out and very carefully cover the hole up. I put it back so that they can hardly
see where the hole was I them walk away several feet and talk to them for a few minutes, then I as them to walk back and find where we dug. After that I hear no more about it and in many cases they thank me. Some times a few weeks you will see them in the park with a metal detector. We wave and go on.

Carver
Just be careful when allowing others to use your detector --they might like the idea of owning it for themselves~! There have been those who have been robbed & if attacked would make the theft even worse--most people are honest & would like your showing them how the detector works & how to dig holes & fill them BUT there are theives--better safe than sorry --just be careful! Ma

Just be careful when allowing others to use your detector --they might like the idea of owning it for themselves~! There have been those who have been robbed & if attacked would make the theft even worse--most people are honest & would like your showing them how the detector works & how to dig holes & fill them BUT there are theives--better safe than sorry --just be careful! Ma
You are right I look them over very close before offering.

Carver

Yes, if you are in the right, we should always stand our ground.

I have to go to more extremes to get any good detecting in where I live. Organization or corporate owned, sometimes municipality owned, stretches of timber. Usually land management companies own a lot of the land. Whenever pines are cleared in subdivisions I hunt it. I hit strips between businesses and streets. I hit urban empty lots. I hit community housing projects. I’ve hit abandoned homes. Parks and schools one in a while. I do have a few permissions also. A total re engineering of my hunting styles from the Midwest setting I miss so badly.

Hunting this way makes you much more aware, I often don’t use headphones unless in the woods. It’s also not for the faint of heart and can be discouraging. I would have never chose to hunt like this all the time but it’s what the locale provides. The long term guys around here, the grey hairs, that’s the way of the land.

I also live in a place where lots more crazy stuff happens at any given time than someone swinging a detector. Most people probably think I’m just off in the head or getting money for a McDouble.

I’m always kind and never standoffish unless the person approaches me and I feel it’s necessary. I did have a guy sneak up on me while I was filming with the Superfly coil on my t2 in an urban park. He was a big ol boy. I saw his shadow approaching as I was digging with my Garrett digger. I could tell it was not my partner. I spun around real quick and said “wtf do you want, pal?” While I had that digger in my hand. He said “uhh hey good morning” and kept walking. I know he was coming to try something. He had to get way off in the grass from the sidewalk to come to me. He wasn’t ready to eat that steel digger just yet though. I hunted for another couple hours. No headphones. No relaxing. No fun. Disjointed from the hunt.