Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confronted while detecting

Good job Nate I just had the same issue on a beach where I find silver on often a lady walked up to me who was walking her dog and said are you filling holes do you live here?
First I said theres a sign on the beach no dogs at anytime are allowed on the beach and yes I have permission to park here and use the beach which you have not obviously read the rules about dogs..
She left..
Mark

Good job Nate I just had the same issue on a beach where I find silver on often a lady walked up to me who was walking her dog and said are you filling holes do you live here?
First I said theres a sign on the beach no dogs at anytime are allowed on the beach and yes I have permission to park here and use the beach which you have not obviously read the rules about dogs..
She left..
Mark
How exactly does permission work on beaches? I don’t beach hunt because I live far away from the ocean but I could see myself giving it a try on a vacation sometime.

Years ago I was asked to leave a local park where a couple walking for exercise had been watching me detetect. I saw him leave the road and walk across the field toward me. I figured he was going to ask about how to use or get involved in the detecting, but he asked me to leave. He said there was a large electric line spliting the field in half and I could hit it with my hand digger I left not knowing if he had any authority. I stayed away for about a year, but stewed about what had happened. Before I returned, I looked up the foreman of the public works. He told me the line this guy was talking about was 4 to 5 foot deep and for me to go ahead and detect. He also told me to give him his name if he ever confronted me again. I figure the guy was just a"busy body" and did what these types do. Stick their noses in places they have no authority. Unfortunately, it seems like these people are in every little town or city.

Regarding beach permission...... I’m not a full time beach comber but my suggestion is to check with the city or county authority where the beach is located for any rules or regulations. In OR there are some state parks that edge the coastline and digging in state parks can land you a good fine and confiscation of equipment. I asked the Coast Guard once about beach permission but got a rather puzzled look. Each state seems to have different rules too.

Hey Guys , sorry about the misunderstanding. I was only spoofing when i said i was only 12. I'll be 71 in a couple of weeks. Where i live there are two parks set side by side one is legal the other is not. i thought they were both legal. well, unknowingly i was hunting the not so legal side and a park employee came over and very nicely asked me not to hunt there.At that time i thought both parks were legal. i felt pretty bad. it gets worse though when i returned to my car i seen that i parked right beside a no metal detecting sign. i really felt like a stupid old man then.

Nate you are a teenager too? That’s awesome I’m 14. This has happened to me too, unless it’s a really good spot I’ll just leave, I don’t want any trouble.
Exactly. Go back another day and a different time frame

Hey Guys , sorry about the misunderstanding. I was only spoofing when i said i was only 12. I'll be 71 in a couple of weeks. Where i live there are two parks set side by side one is legal the other is not. i thought they were both legal. well, unknowingly i was hunting the not so legal side and a park employee came over and very nicely asked me not to hunt there.At that time i thought both parks were legal. i felt pretty bad. it gets worse though when i returned to my car i seen that i parked right beside a no metal detecting sign. i really felt like a stupid old man then.
That’s not to far from 12. Lol. I am 43.

Your only as old as you act lol I was 12 once and I am still holding (y)
HH Jeff

Im trying to remember this as best I can.......
When I was about 14-15 an older kid tried to make a metal detector from scrap. He used an old Frisbee strapped to a broomstick, some (copper?) wire, a toggle switch, and a big ol honking lantern battery. We took it out, ran around the lawn and it seemed to work as we found nails etc. Might recreate that and use it as my loaner, might keep the amount of wannabe’s at bay!!!😂😂

Yes, if you are in the right, we should always stand our ground.

I have to go to more extremes to get any good detecting in where I live. Organization or corporate owned, sometimes municipality owned, stretches of timber. Usually land management companies own a lot of the land. Whenever pines are cleared in subdivisions I hunt it. I hit strips between businesses and streets. I hit urban empty lots. I hit community housing projects. I’ve hit abandoned homes. Parks and schools one in a while. I do have a few permissions also. A total re engineering of my hunting styles from the Midwest setting I miss so badly.

Hunting this way makes you much more aware, I often don’t use headphones unless in the woods. It’s also not for the faint of heart and can be discouraging. I would have never chose to hunt like this all the time but it’s what the locale provides. The long term guys around here, the grey hairs, that’s the way of the land.

I also live in a place where lots more crazy stuff happens at any given time than someone swinging a detector. Most people probably think I’m just off in the head or getting money for a McDouble.

I’m always kind and never standoffish unless the person approaches me and I feel it’s necessary. I did have a guy sneak up on me while I was filming with the Superfly coil on my t2 in an urban park. He was a big ol boy. I saw his shadow approaching as I was digging with my Garrett digger. I could tell it was not my partner. I spun around real quick and said “wtf do you want, pal?” While I had that digger in my hand. He said “uhh hey good morning” and kept walking. I know he was coming to try something. He had to get way off in the grass from the sidewalk to come to me. He wasn’t ready to eat that steel digger just yet though. I hunted for another couple hours. No headphones. No relaxing. No fun. Disjointed from the hunt.
Sorry to hear--Maybe if you pray to Jehovah God for protection while you hunt is to pray before & during for His safe protection & then pray & thank Him for protecting you & for whatever you find, as God is good & provides what we need & what pleases His Children when we ask & tell Him we love, worship & adore Him--for He enters our love & praises as we worship Him in Spirit & in truth! God did protect you, by allowing you to see the man's shadow as he was sneaking upon you--God is good & worthy to be praised always! Amen! Ma

7centsworth i have 2 sons older than you. Where did my life go! I do have to say it has been a good trip, i feel very blessed.
My three children are older than Travis but seems as though I've known him, Liz & family forever! Godly & lovely Blue-Eyed people--All four of them & I mean BLUE EYES! :thumbup: ! Use to correspond on FB & still do on the CMD Forum! God Bless us & the USA! Amen! Ma

This morning I was detecting down at a local church that had a catholic school on it that had been around for quite some time. I had detected this place COUNTLESS of times throughout the summer and managed to find a few wheat pennies and 2 war nickels without any people complaining. In fact I had many people that were interested and some even invited me to detect their properties. This morning was quite different. I had a lady confront me asking what I was doing and I simply said “metal detecting” she was like “yeah but your digging holes, ever time I look up your digging another one” so after about 45 seconds of talking and me just a teenager trying to stick up for myself that I always fill in my holes and are very neat she STILL wasn’t buying it and she continued to claim that kids would go and play and then trip on my hole. So I simply told her that I’ll leave and left it at that.

I wanted to post this on here because I’m sure I’m not the only person that’s been confronted while detecting. I honestly would’ve thought someone would’ve been proud to see a young teenager out and about digging “holes” instead of doing drugs and playing on video games.
What do y’all think?
Nate, good job of knowing when to pick your battles. God knows we have all been there and with that comes experience of how too handle folks.
tony