Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Conquistador Depth ?

A

Anonymous

What kind of depth can I expect out of an original Conquistador in almost zero mineralization ground with the stock 8" coil ?
I've been able to use almost max sensitivity settings on most of my dectectors in this area (20 miles inland north of Pensacola Beach). Ofcourse I realize the Conquistador is not a high end, high priced detector but wanted to hear from experienced users what I could expect out of it.
Thanks & H.H.
Mike

A little feller in Texas claimed he dug small buttons at 16 inches using the Conquistador with the 8X9 coil and 18 to 20 inches using the 12X10 coil but here's what Jack Gifford has on Tesoro's website.
<I>This question is much easier to answer today due to the fact that virtually all of the detectors made today are of the motion or VLF Discriminator type. Most of them come with a searchcoil of around 8 inches diameter, since this size has been determined by most everyone to be optimal for coin hunting in areas with moderate amounts of trash. Using the proper sweep speeds for the detector type will also affect depth, but the following figures are achievable for a properly used detector.
Target size......................Depth
Dime to nickel.................4 to 8 inches
Quarter to half dollar.......6 to 12 inches
Dollar to fruit jar lid.........8 to 16 inches
Other conditions affect how deep your detector goes, but those same conditions will also affect all other detector depth. Becoming familiar with your detector and using it at the proper sweep speed are the two most important things for you to do.</I>

Those depths look about right. I will add that aluminum cans can be found at least 18" deep -- whoopee. I have found Civil War Minie balls in the 10-12 inch range with my pre-Mmax Conquistador. Large iron can be found 2 feet or more deep. Found a tire rim that way, which was rather disappointing as I was in my own yard and was hoping for pirate treasure here in North Carolina. Happy hunting to you. KK