Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering a V Series Detector

jimz49

I've had whites detectors in the past and I'm considering getting another. I'm looking at either a VX3 or a V3i (probably the vx3). My most recent detectors have been minelabs and I would like to add one of the V's to my list of detectors. I'm thinking about letting an X-Terra 705 with coils (6"H, 9"L, 6" Digger, 5x10H & 10.5H) go and probably add the VX3. Do you think the X & the V are similar in ability? If you don't, can you elaborate? Thanks in advance for any advise given.

Jim,

Take my advice and go for a USED V3i.
Takes a while "to drive it" but, once you know how it is one of the FINEST machines out there!

Des

What he said exactly except I hated the stock Coil. I bought a SEF 8X6 which is great for open spaces. I also traded for a 4X6 Shooter coil. I think I got the best of him in that trade because I hunt with it most of the time. If I was buying a new Detector I would get the Dealer to trade the Stock Coil for the Shooter myself. Richard at Backwoods Detectors is now a Whites Dealer. I bought mine from him and have not seen a cheaper one. He costs me money constanly because he is so easy to deal with. I can talk about him because I am pretty sure he is a sponsor here.

Des D said:
Jim,

Take my advice and go for a USED V3i.
Takes a while "to drive it" but, once you know how it is one of the FINEST machines out there!

Des

jimz49, it can be interesting to shop for a new [size=small](or used)[/size] detector, and the first things you need to do are consider all the types of sites you'll search, factor in your patience level, consider what site challenges you want to deal with the most, then try to check out any models you are considering prior to purchase. IT used to be easier in the latter '70s and into the early '90s when there were many more detector dealers located close to a lot of us. Not as easy today.

We can view videos on the Internet, but remember some of them will be canted, and others are not a complete test from various sweep directions. Naturally we can ask others on the forums, but remember that each of us might have a different concept of what 'iron trash' might mean or just a 'trashy site' or 'bad ground,' etc. I will part with a detector or two in my personal arsenal from time -to-time, but usually because I will add to my detector battery a detector to hunt with and evaluate, comparing it with known in-the-field favorite performers.

There is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector, but there are some very good detectors that might excel in certain hunting applications. Since '71 I have always made it a point to have at least two, and often four or five [size=small](or more)[/size] detectors in my personal arsenal, along with the search coils that I found to work best of them to reward me for my efforts. So my advice is to do the same. Find two, or a few, that can complement each other to better handle different tough challenges, as well as the easier opportunities, then devote enough field time to learn them.

jimz49 said:
I've had whites detectors in the past and I'm considering getting another.
Which models did you have, and what did and didn't you like about them? What was lacking with what you used to make to look for another White's?

jimz49 said:
I'm looking at either a VX3 or a V3i (probably the vx3).
Okay, but what types of hunting do you usually do? Is it just urban Coin Hunting, or do you get into renovation work or go off to a homestead or cellar hole or other older sites? What types of trash do you usually encounter, and in what density of close proximity, do you have to deal with it? What made you consider either of these two models, and which search coils did you plan to use with them?

I had the Visions and progressed to the V3i, but it was definitely nit my main-use detector, nor did I enjoy using it that much because I like 'simple' and found the V3i too complex to maneuver through. When the VX3 came out, I used it and chose it as the preferred model of the two. The VX3 is still not my primary use detector, or even one of the top three I have grabbed for most of the types of sites I hunt. It is simpler to adjust, and I like the depth of detection [size=small](when in a site where 'depth' is a necessary factor)[/size], and I like it with the 6½" or stock 950 Concentric coils for most of the open area searches where I might employ it.

jimz49 said:
My most recent detectors have been minelabs and I would like to add one of the V's to my list of detectors.
Are you referring to the FBS series Minelabs? Do you still have one? How do you feel a VX3 or V3i might complement your Minelab? Just curious because I have used my VX3 with three friends who used different FBS models, in most scenarios when we counter-checked located targets, the VX3 was more often correct at classifying ferrous trash.

jimz49 said:
I'm thinking about letting an X-Terra 705 with coils (6"H, 9"L, 6" Digger, 5x10H & 10.5H) go and probably add the VX3.
Why would you want an X-Terra 705, especially with the five search coils mentioned? What applications? If all of that, why do you think a VX3 would also work in your arsenal? As I stated, my VX3 isn't my primary use detector(s), but having owned three X-Terras and using others, I know what they did, and didn't, do for me and you won't see one in my detector list below, nor do I want to have one again.

I have three primary-carry detectors and the X-Terra 705 didn't come close to matching or beating them in several very tough iron trash environments. Also didn't get the depth, although 'depth' is not all that important a factor in most cases due to trash abundance. That might be due to the types of sites I most often search, of course.

jimz49 said:
Do you think the X & the V are similar in ability?
No, they are definitely different in their performance and ability to handle different hunting environments.

jimz49 said:
If you don't, can you elaborate?
With the VX3 you can hunt with all three frequencies at the same time. You have a broader range of Discrimination adjustment. I find the display more informative, the adjustment selection easier to maneuver through, and the build quality superior. Another benefit, for me, is that it shares search coils with my MX5 and MXT All-Pro, and the MXT All-Pro is currently my #1 all-purpose detector.

Matter of fact, if you got a VX3 and MXT All-Pro instead of the VX3 and X-Terra 705, you would have the same versatility in search coil application, and two models that both beat the X-Terra in all-purpose use and performance.

Just my opinions.

Monte

Monte, thank you for the informative reply. Most of my purchases are driven by "wanting to try something else" and may not always end up being the right choice for my type of hunting. I'm a coin hunter that looks for silver and older coppers. So my hunting areas can be anywhere from old homesteads to older parks/ball fields. I try to avoid modern coins.

The last whites I had were 80's-90's vintage machines, so I haven't tried any current models. One of the reasons I'm looking at the vx3 and v3i.

The minelabs I've owned range from sovereigns, explorers, x-terras to etracs. I would like to compare the I'd accuracy, depth capability, sorting through trash ability and generally the ease of use between the fbs & whites V. The x-terra 705 (and coils) that I own has happened more because of horse trading than pursuit. I do think the X-705 is a capable machine and will do well for general detecting purposes.

I currently have an explorer II, Do I think the II is the best detector? I don't really know....never had one before. I've had XS's and was happy with them when they were state of the art. But time has past them by. As stated, I've had an etrac or two and wasn't overly excited with them. This may sound crazy to some, but the best minelab I ever owned was the original sovereign. I think it could out hunt any detector on the market at the time.

I've read that the VX3, because of it's ease of use is the better detector compared to the V3i. Too much time spent tweaking instead of hunting. I suppose if/when you get proficient with the v3i that your perspective would change.