Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering an At Max

wyohunter99

Hey all, I am seriously considering getting a At max. I was dead set on getting a new Minelab Equinox 600 but after watching a lot of YouTube videos of both machines I really like the tones, Iron audio and the ability of going deep in highly mineralized ground of the At max. I mainly hunt in parks, demo sites and yards. I mostly coin hunt but like to dig everything. The ground here in Wyoming is pretty “hot” normally ground balances in the 80’s or 90’s on my other machines sometimes lower depending on location. So is the iron audio like a volume for the iron? Like the Fisher 19/ Teknetics G2+ has? You can run zero disc but eliminate the low tone for iron? Any help, tips or why you think this detector is all that is greatly appreciated and happy hunting!

Depending, and it can be hard to do is--------simply test drive one first. There's different soil every where so who can advise you on a forum? Now it's a smart move. So you got to rent or borrow one if you want to be sure. Maybe a rent to own deal would work.
Once you buy it, you own it. Like it or not.
Just saying. Dancer

"So is the iron audio like a volume for the iron?"

Iron audio is so the hunter can hear discriminated iron. This is something you can turn ON or OFF but can't reduce the volume to. Its Preset.

"You can run zero disc but eliminate the low tone for iron?"

You can't "eliminate" the low tone by shutting it off but you can increase your iron DISC to reduce the grunts.

The ground here in CT is just as bad if not worse than your soil (99% of the time I am GB in the 90's) and the Max works and handles the mineralization just fine.

"I mainly hunt in parks, demo sites and yards."
That is about the scope of my hunting too. Mainly parks, yards, house tear downs, and old cellar holes. The Max is a fine machine for all these places. Just remember (disclaimer - this my opinion only) hunt turtle slow when there is a lot of junky debris and you will see how well this machine separates and sniffs out goodies amongst the junk.

Best of luck in your decision.

wyohunter99 said:
Hey all, I am seriously considering getting a At max. I was dead set on getting a new Minelab Equinox 600 but after watching a lot of YouTube videos of both machines I really like the tones, Iron audio and the ability of going deep in highly mineralized ground of the At max. I mainly hunt in parks, demo sites and yards. I mostly coin hunt but like to dig everything. The ground here in Wyoming is pretty “hot” normally ground balances in the 80’s or 90’s on my other machines sometimes lower depending on location. So is the iron audio like a volume for the iron? Like the Fisher 19/ Teknetics G2+ has? Any help, tips or why you think this detector is all that is greatly appreciated and happy hunting!

Thanks for the reply’s! I think I’m going to hold off on the Equinox for now and see what comes of it. What I read on here and watch on YouTube the Max is a hell of a machine especially in mineralized ground and that’s what I need. I would like to test one but that’s the disadvantage of living in Wyoming we have to buy stuff to try it out....

As already mentioned, you can adjust the amount of iron audio you may want to use. You can also notch out any targets you wish to NOT hear at all, essentially nulling the machine over notched out iron or pull-tabs. You can not notch out any items in the true all metal mode.

Unlike other detectors, where you can eliminate targets with a rotary knob and lose more depth as you increase the number of targets to discriminate out, you lose no depth with the AT Series. Notching out targets only eliminated the audio for the desired, notched out targets.

Thanks for the reply John that’s good to hear you don’t loose any depth as you increase the disc. How does it do at unmasking keepers? Next to disc ed out iron? Will the null eliminate the good target?

I have never been disappointed with Minelab. I just go with what I know. Ihave an 800 reserved. I almost pulled the trigger on Max but then came the 800. Go with what fits U best. Like in the auto sales business "there is a *ss for every seat." Detector for every hand.

nalc472 said:
I have never been disappointed with Minelab. I just go with what I know. Ihave an 800 reserved. I almost pulled the trigger on Max but then came the 800. Go with what fits U best. Like in the auto sales business "there is a *ss for every seat." Detector for every hand.
I hear you on that. What works for you may not work for me.

Using the 5" x 8" coil really helps to get good separation between targets, which would otherwise be masked out with a larger coil. All metal detectors have poor target separation with large coils.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Max and getting the 5x8 coil. I hope I get to take it out before the ground freezes!

Congratulations! Look forward to your posts. - Jim

wyohunter99 said:
Well I went ahead and ordered the Max and getting the 5x8 coil. I hope I get to take it out before the ground freezes!

Thanks Jim! I should have it Tuesday.... Wanted to go detecting today but the weather has turned to crap! Hopefully get out tomorrow....