Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering an F75 but what......

poorman

I am considering an F75. Generally my ground is very mild. Locally I usually hunt Parks,Playgrounds, and School Yards. My question is this. Using the new F75 for the first time in these conditions what settings would be recomended for smooth trouble free operation, and good to depth target ID both tone and visual. Are there any preset programs. What kind of performance is to expected using the Default settings.

I started out with the defaults and had (and still have) excellent results. What I initially did was to set the discrimination to 55, notch the full nickels range back in. Use "dE" (default) for the mode and 2F for the tones. The sensitivity may need to be toned down a bit. For a VERY stable setting keep it in the 30 to 34 range. I FASTGRAB ground balance (push the trigger toggle forward and pump the coil up and down 6" about three times - it either takes or tells you "Can't GB" in which case you move two feet and try again) and then hold the coil just off the ground and set the sensitivity up until it starts to false, then lower it three or four units.

As you get used to the audio you may want to switch to 3H or 4H. These give a higher tone for nickels (and some other nickel-like conductivity targets). The F-75 loves nickels and is hot on dimes, also.

Stay out of Jewelry mode for the first 16 or so hours of use. It is wild but may eventually be useful to you (I'm just starting to use it). "bc" mode (bottle cap) gives those objects a wider TID swing as you sweep them but also gives you the impression the meter is hopping all over. Don't use it unless you're willing to have that. Individual coins stay within one or two units, but similar coins in other angles and depths (and condition) may read slightly higher or lower; but still hold a narrow range once detected. Cents, for instance, can be a 60 or a 70 depending on year (the alloy was changed in '82).

the need to be really aware of any external electrical interference. The F75 is such a "hot" machine that it'll pick up on external sources and then the readings would be really confusing to anyone taking it out for the first few times. Be aware of overhead wires, transformers, or even your cell phone. This isn't a bad thing, it just needs to be factored in to how you set up the machine.
I'm pretty sure you're going to love the F75. It does more in the plain vanilla settings than many machines do when they are tweaked to the max.
Happy Hunting,
Tagamet

One more thing regarding "the kind of performance". I can tell you the less discrimination you set, the more sensitivity you can feed in and the deeper you will be detecting. Until you get to know the unit this can be confusing. If you don't mind digging a lot of trash you can become very familiar with how it reacts to different objects. For the first week I just happily dug coins and had runs of 9 and 14 coins where I dug only good signals. Including 7" dimes and 5" nickels (the park I hunt floods and it is not unusual to get lots of silt build up). I have gone back in those spots to sample since at higher sensitivity and lower discrimination and confirmed a lot of trash (foil, caps and pulltabs) and hit a few additional cents that I skipped over. I just get the nagging feeling if I crank the discrimination too high I might miss rings - which occur in this park often enough to be likely targets.

And a good tip about the EMI. Depending where you hunt it can be a big consideration. I get more in my front yard than I do at my favorite park. Changing the frequency (takes two seconds) can help.