Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering an MD upgrade and downgrade

Utah Neal

I currently have an MXT and would like to downgrade to an M6 or the Prizm 6T. I bought the MXT with the hopes of getting to do some gold MDing on some of my trips with my job (I get to travel from Utah, north into Canada and Alaska). However, I have found it extremely difficult to get to the gold bearing areas and am primarily restricted to the parks and maybe on occasion an old home site. I am considering the M6 due to the fact that the 5.3 coil I already have for my MXT would be interchangeable with the M6, has a good selection of coils, silent operation, multi-tone and excellent battery life just to name a few. A couple of the negatives for the M6 are no backlight and weight. I am considering the 6T for weight, sillent operation, backlight and multi-tone. The drawbacks for me however are lack of coils (at current time), the lack of information, and nearly half the battery life of my MXT and also the M6.

I also have a Tesoro Compadre that I am considering upgrading to the Prizm III or ACE 250. It is the machine that my son will be using (a birthday present). He wants the display.

I am looking for a little help on these decisions I am about to make. All input would be greatly appreciated.

Neal

Why not just use the MXT...Then if you get in the gold fields your all set. Can't help with the 6T I have never seen one..But a Prizm is a Prizm...

From what Monte has posted the P6t is not a regular Prizm. Yes you could simply keep the MXT as someday you'll be able to use all the features. But the M6 if your coin shooting would not be a down grade. In fact it could be an upgrade with the 7 tone feature. But I know what you mean about the weight too. I know Whites has said the P6t's battery life is 25 hours. But I have to believe if your not running the back light it should last 40+ hours like the other 8 cell machines. I have really grown to like notch machines for coins and jewelry so that's why I'm going to try the 6t when that little coil comes out.

Elton said:
Can't help with the 6T I have never seen one..But a Prizm is a Prizm...
I have to speak up here because a Prizm IS a Prizm ONLY IF you're not figuring a 6T in the mix. The 6T shares the housing and coils, but not a lot else when you really get down to it.

The Prizm 6T is far and away the better unit. I've owned a couple of Prizm IVs and used all the rest but couldn't bring myself to like them a whole lot or recommend them to a lot of people. The 6T, however, is a unit in my personal battery (and I paid full price for it ... not used) and feel it was money well,invested. Right now it does OK for open area searches with the stock 9" spider coil, but once the little Shooter coil is released, it will be a primary-use coil. I've used it in some renovation site work with a lot of iron nails, as well as tot lots with metal structures, and just some 'general use' hunting.

The 6T just isn't a Prizm as we've come to know them.

Monte

Utah Neal said:
I currently have an MXT and would like to downgrade to an M6 or the Prizm 6T. I bought the MXT with the hopes of getting to do some gold MDing on some of my trips with my job (I get to travel from Utah, north into Canada and Alaska). However, I have found it extremely difficult to get to the gold bearing areas and am primarily restricted to the parks and maybe on occasion an old home site.
Neal, I know some will argue the fact but I don't consider going from an MXT to an M6 a 'downgrade' as such. It's really more like retaining the basic performance, and giving up the All Metal Prospecting mode in favor of the 'on-demand' 7-Tone Audio ID. For a coin hunter, it certainly has some merit.

Yes, the MXT can be used for park hunting and occasional home sites or old places, but for a lot of coin hunting tasks it is nice to have the Tone ID available when you want to use it.

Utah Neal said:
I am considering the M6 due to the fact that the 5.3 coil I already have for my MXT would be interchangeable with the M6, has a good selection of coils, silent operation, multi-tone and excellent battery life just to name a few. A couple of the negatives for the M6 are no back-light and weight.
Being able to use the 5.3 BullsEye is a strong point, as well as the other Eclipse series of coils.

As for "silent search" it is nothing more than reducing the Threshold tuner on the MXT to a point just below the 'proper' Threshold adjustment so that it is just a bit silent. And the weight of the M6, to me, isn't an issue. It uses the same physical configuration as the Classic series and they balance quite well. I know a few who have made the modification from the MXT and switched it to the M6 physical design.

The back-light thing is one I didn't/don't let bother me because usually when I am night hunting in old ghost towns or parks I just use a headlight. Then I used the Prizm 6T and, since the standard time lets it get darker early in the fall, I found the Prizm 6T's back-light feature to work quite well!

Utah Neal said:
I am considering the 6T for weight, sillent operation, back-light and multi-tone. The drawbacks for me however are lack of coils (at current time), the lack of information, and nearly half the battery life of my MXT and also the M6.
The weight/balance is good, and really good with the Shooter coil! The back-light is great, and the 9-Tone audio has some advantage over the 7-Tone of the M6 because it breaks down the upper coins whereas they are all lumped together with the M6. The 6T also has a very good notching circuitry, Tone ID On or Off, and the Auto-Trac works as well as the M6/MXT.

Utah Neal said:
I also have a Tesoro Compadre that I am considering upgrading to the Prizm III or ACE 250. It is the machine that my son will be using (a birthday present). He wants the display.
If you get a Prizm II or III or IV (you can find them priced low on a number of classifieds) as well as a Prizm 6T for yourself, they will share the same search coils.

I've misplaced your E-mail so check your PM's.

Monte

Well, I'm biased toward the M6 'cause thats what I use, and for coinshooting its one of the best. The ACE250 or Prism would be good for a beginner to use but I'd keep the compadre!!!! Teach him to hunt "blind" with the tesoro before you throw a display at him. All the machines you listed are great in their own ways. Good luck
Greg

I agree with Greg. Keep the compadre. You can't beat it as a second, loaner or whatever for the price. I don't personally feel the Prizm or the Ace are all that much better other than the display.
BB

As a M6 owner this detector is a blood hound when it comes to coins shooting the weight is on par with a whites machine so to say.
The M6 does not have manual ground balance and relic mode like the MXT. The M6 has 7 tones and a little tiny less weight than the MXT.
So the MXT will do every thing the M6 will do and more like relic and gold nugget hunting .In the end the MXT is big brother and the M6 is little brother
so if you do get the M6 this would not be a downgrade but a option change.So don't be fooled the MXT is a coin killer so is the M6.
As far as the 6T goes this is the newest MD for whites as far as looks and up grades. To me this looks very promising but time can only tell if this MD
can be put up there with a xlt , mxt , eagle spectrum , the classics , dfx , Don't shoot me for missing any other whites md these are just the ones that come to mind.
And remember this not rocket science just get out there and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROB BASS

Just viewing picture it looked close to me..and I like you tried the others and well ,I will leave it at that. I am sure they worked great for other people and have great qualities.My post is what causes people to not buy detectors..I should have never posted that statement...