Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Constant humm while hunting

tucker1931

Being a new Tiger Shark owner I would like some response to this one. I'm a 76 year old kid in Canada and new to ground balancing. I took the new machine into the water yesterday (first time out) I have it set so that when I lower or raise it and search with it there's always a slight hum. I run it in all metal fast. PLEASE am I doing it right??
Appreciate any and all input. By the way, I found two beer caps and a nickle, almost got her paid for first time in the water. NOT

Actually when you lower the coil to hunting position it should go quiet. That would be the perfect ground balance reletively speaking. There will always be a very slight him in the audio but that should be set so it is very very slight. Lifting the coil and then lowering it to the ground should cause the machine to go quiet just as it hits the hunt poiton, not before.The same sound up or down is not a correct ground balance. But it takes practise and will pay off in the long run and will become second nature.

Tucker, I guess I am not sure why you want to be hunting in All Metal mode. In every lake I have every hunted, there are tons of nails, tin foil, bobby pins, and small pieces of wire that I prefer not to dig. The Tiger has great iron masking circuitry, you should hunt in Disc mode with your disc set at about 2 1/2. That will knock out iron and small tin foil, but still allow you to hit on gold and nickels. Take advantage of the great discrimination Tesoro has.

I dont agree with Jeff on how to GB. If you GB and have the threshold go quiet as the coil approaches the bottom, you will be GB'd negative. The ideal set up is to GB with an ever-so-slight positive response as your coil approaches the bottom (slight increase in threshold sound). Setting the GB and threshold "negative" could cause you to miss those very faint, deep signals that barely have any audio signal. By setting the GB slightly positive you have a better chance to notice that slight audio change on very deep, faint signals.

Slight in just barely audible? Just so you can hear a hum?
I guess that goes for the Vaquero also, right?

Hey SCULLY, thanks. Another question....should I ground balance the machine in all metal discrim or not????? with discrim set at zero of course

I found that the Vaquero worked really well, balanced slightly cool, it handled iron much better and didn't seem to lose any performance.

YMMV

you need to hear the threshold in order to GB. then when you switch to discrimination you will be GB'd.

Great post.
I still need positive reinforcement about the importance of GB.