Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Contiplating CTX for fresh water use only- relic sites

Hello there,
I have a question on possibly getting a 3030 for strictly fresh water use but don't know if its full potential will be realized. I will be wading with it up to my neck and obvious the screen will be of no use. I currently have and use the X-cal 2.My big thing is that Im not looking for gold or coins; X-cal does that just fine. I am in junky areas with a lot of square nails and bigger junk. These are possible fur trade sites with cut brass, pewter buttons, brass thimbles, silver trade crosses and musket parts just to name a few of the desirable artifacts and these are out in the water. I have used the CZ-21 and X-cal 2 on some of these sites but just too much nulling going on but yet a monumental task if I were to dig it all. I already dig a lot of iron and certainly all the overloads. The kicker is that these sites when discovered are contaminated with newer iron. So the million dollar question is will a detector like the CTX greatly benefit me for this kind of water work over my X-cal 2? How much info am I loosing by not looking at the screen? Im mainly a sounds, tone first guy, then do I compare where the VID is at. I keep hearing how powerful the combined is in conduct program w/ wide open screen. But will that type of set up help when Im not checking the screen/cursor movement? And go strictly by sound/tones? Thank you in advance to any kinds of suggestions and help, Steve

The thing is the CTX holds the information of the screen for a few seconds so you can always raise it up to check the readout. The CTX also give you 50 different tones. And you can always change the tones.

I hunt freshwater and I bought a CTX-3030 last year. Long story short I hated it and sold it off within 2 months!! The Excal 2 is deeper, and the AT-Pro with the 5X8"DD coil is superior in trashy areas IF the targets are shallow. I work the super trashy lakes/rivers with the AT-Pro setup that Other machines just can't pick out the good targets from all the trash. One occasion last summer I pulled up to a lake and met 2 guys just leaving, one had an Excal 2 1000 the other had a CZ-20. They wished me luck but said it was nothing but a carpet of iron. I hit the water and boy they were not kidding, it was a nightmare of iron! But I worked it slow and plucked out nearly a dozen nickels, some pennies and dimes, 2 Sterling rings and a Sterling Crucifix, a junk ring, and a few junk earrings. I have the Pro Scoop...which is a big scoop, and every scoop I bought up had fishing hooks in it. A lot of people think that the AT-Pro is a joke...But if you are in a super trashy area and the targets are shallow (less then 6") the AT-Pro with the 5X8"DD coil is very, very hard to beat! Remember I am emphasizing shallow targets, as much as I love the AT-Pro it is not a deep machine. This is just my opinion based on my personal experience. No matter which machine you choose, I wish you luck.