Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Control Rod Problems

DWerk

I have had to replace the lower rod once already. Now it looks like I will need both a upper and lower rod to fix the problem. I use the small head while in the water and prefer to use the large head while on the beach. Problem is that the lower rod freezes up and I can not remove it from the upper rod to change coils. Anyone else have this problem and know a solution (other than replacing both rods to change the coil)?

If you water hunt....you MUSTclean both upper and lower rods with clean water when done, to wash out the fine silt which accumulates between both rods, and turns into a nearly concrete substance. I have a frozen set, and have tried soaking in hot water, vibrations and lots of force, and it still is seized up. So, all my water hunts now, I clean the rods with with clean water. All you have to do is tag along a large empty plastic pop container full of clean water, separate the rods, rinse and wipe.

Yep...after just a little while hunting water...the camlocks seize up to the point you need a pair of Channelloks to unscrew them...I removed both sets of camlocks....the rod was so frozen in, it took a lot of spraying and soaking just to get the detent buttons to twist off to the side...and then had to pound out the lower rod, then I filed it so those high ridges are gone, then I waxed it with a car wax, and also inside the tube needs to be cleaned up with some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and run through there...

it was a tough nearly impossible thing to get it taken apart, had to find a wrench to use in this fashion, (see pic) so I could pound out the rod with a dowel and that rubber mallet...its easier to change the batteries without the upper camlock, and easier to change or adjust the lower shaft too...get rid of the camlocks, and smooth everything up...also, I run the coil cable straight up the shaft, so theres a little slack up by the control box...even after doing all of this, a guy has to periodically take it apart and clean it out real good....run a cleaning rod through the tube, and wipe off the grit on the lower....
Mud

Man I have a middle rod without the cam locks I don't use if your interested I'll give it to you if you will pay for the cost of shipping it to you.

Well it appears that I have a new winter project, get the rods apart and sand/file/wax... I appreciate the offer for the extra rod but I think I'll do as others and remove the cam locks and clean things up. I got this machine specifically for water hunting but also find myself using it on very large Lake Michigan/Lake Superior/Lake Huron beach's.. I thank you all for the information as I thought perhaps I was putting to much pressure on the rod and bending it... Now to wait for this Michigan winter to end and the ground to thaw so I can get back to the hunt..

I too have had the problem Dwerk especially with my early Pro. My other has the camlocks (which I've removed like Mud did) and there seems to be a little more clearance with those. Still, they will freeze up. I've gotten in the habit of disassembling them under water at the end of my hunt, sloshing water through the tube, and cleaning the rod with my hand. Works so far.

Well my offer of a free middle rod without cam locks is up for grabs if anyone else think they can use it you just cover the shipping cost.

Clean them after water hunts then spray with silicon spray, works for me.

John has given the BEST ADVICE, but BETTER Yet!! Take ANY Waterproof Detector in a RELATIVELY H-O-T Shower, that YOU are going to BATH in, and Give IT a HOT Shower!!
YOU can even use a GARDEN Hose, but MILD HOT Shower Water is B-E-S-T!! But, YOU have to DISCONNECT the LOWER Rod from the MIDDLE Rod, and then HOLD the (2)
OPEN ENDS of the LOWER Rod and MIDDLE (which has the Detector Still ATTACHED to the MIDDLE Rod) Rod SIDE by SIDE!! Then THOROUGHLY F-L-U-S-H all the SAND/SALT/
and Any RESIDUE O-F-F and O-U-T of the INSIDE of BOTH Ends of the RODS, and O-F-F the WHOLE Detector, and WATERPROOF Headphones (if YOU Use Them)!! Also, check YOUR Rods and See IF YOU need to RE-COAT the ENDS of the Rods with SILICONE GREASE or AUTO WAX!! Hope this HELPS, Les Robinson.

I just dip theend of the rod with the camlocks into a pot of boiling water. it soften the plastic and help to clean the fine grit out of the threads. works like a charm!