Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Conversion Question

Clifford Powell

When using NASA World Wind they use co-ordinates like:

How do I convert to the co-ordinates my GPS uses?
Is it just as simple as placing decimal points like?

Thanks in Advance

"co-ordinates my GPS uses" ??? I don't know what receiver you have but, moist receivers can use several different co-ordinate formats and it's up to the user to select the most convenient one.
Looks like World Wind is giving the co-ordinates as degrees and decimal fraction of degrees. so, you should select such in the receiver. More than likely, the format would be marked in the setup menu as DDD.DDDDD
If you want to convert it to some other format, it's easy but certainly it's not just adding periods. I mean, what type of format the 33.38.874 supposed to be? I mean, as far as I know, there is no such format. Did you mean to convert it to degrees minutes seconds OR degrees minutes.fraction of minutes or something else?
Typical formats for co-ordinates are:

degree.decimal fraction of degree DDD.DDDDD
N 33.38893

I have a Magellan eXplorist 210.

I have gone though the menu(s) and, so far, haven't located an item that allows me to use a different format other than the default DDD MM.MMM. And you're right - Whirl Wind is giving me DDD.DDDDD. I was not familiar with the 'mask' for the different formats. So what I'll do is write a small program (I'm a retired programmer) that will handle it for me. Doesn't look too difficult at all.

Anyway, thanks for the help - - -