Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cool little Red Racer Saturday morning find.

B.RATNY

Red Racer sniffs out a little one Saturday morning.. It's been awhile since I've found a three center.
HH Butch NY

Excellent score B.RATNY I'm curious on depth,number reading, soil condition, Coil used .:thumbup:

I haven't found a 3¢'er since about 2009, and that was an 1865 nickel type. Last silver 3¢ I had was an 1856 about 2007 or 2008, and had a little more wear than your coin. Sure can't find the dinky old stuff very often anymore. Which coil, settings, search mode, and type of location?

Monte

Hi sasquache, I was hunting a patch of woods that surround one of our old city parks, I've found quite a few mid 1800's coins and tokens in over the years. Extremely trashy every type of junk imaginable. The ground is very dry, no measurable rain in awhile, the coin was maybe 3 inches deep, very common in these woods, nothing seems that deep. I've actually found a few Indian heads laying on the ground. I was hunting in three tone, gain at 82 and filters at 12. I was using the OOR coil and the number was going between a 79 & 82 very strong signal.
HH Butch NY

Sweet and Thank you for the info i always like to hear more when fellow Detectorist find sweet coin's and Relics.

Congrats on the nice find and it's in nice cond. That one is still on my list of coins to find. Did come close, found a 3 cent nickel type this year.

I really envy some of you guys in the midwest and back east who can find coins like that, i really like the design of the 3 cent. And as a added bonus its silver so its always going to have some value even if the collector value is low.

Zinc Penny said:
I really envy some of you guys in the midwest and back east who can find coins like that, i really like the design of the 3 cent. And as a added bonus its silver so its always going to have some value even if the collector value is low.
Zinc Penny, where do you live?

Yes, I envy some of the folks in some of the places in the central to eastern states as well, knowing that many areas that once held potential have been built over, paved over, and otherwise altered from how they once were. That kind of limits their opportunities to find a lot of the early-era coinage and other keepers from the past as they are gone or covered up. Yes, I know that happens out here in the Western US as well, but we still have a lot of opportunities to uncover good targets from the past.

Do you only Coin & Jewelry Hunt where you're most likely to encounter a 'Zinc Penny" and other modern coinage, or do you branch out to include some Relic Hunting older sites that have more iron trash, building rubble and other challenges to deal with?

I have pulled all of my Larger Cents from Oregon and Utah. My 2¢ pieces from Utah and Nevada. The 3¢ coins came from Utah, and all of my Half-Dimes, to include an 1836 Capped Bust from Utah and perhaps a dozen-plus Seated Liberty Half-Dimes from Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Shield & 'V' Nickels from Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Idaho and California. My Seated Liberty Dime totals have been about 3X to 4X the number of Barber Dimes, and both types have come mainly from Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Wyoming and Arizona.

The list could go on but I think you get the drift here, and that is older US coins were circulated all over the place, and many lost 'Out West' are still located where 'progress' hasn't arrived yet to wipe out their existence. On AHRPS you can see some of the results people have had on two Welcome-to-Hunt Outings in May and September of last year, and even this past May were unwelcome weather hampered our Outing. We have our 4th WTHO coming up Sept.3rd thru 11th based out of Wells, Nevada, and I can guarantee you there will be some exciting finds made, and all of it from 'Out West' and not from a Central, Mid-West, Eastern, South-Eastern or other in-between location.

What to try and find some old keepers for yourself? You, and anyone, are welcome to come and join the fun. Outings are 'open' to anyone w/o any membership or fee, just come and have a good time. Interested? Shoot me an e-mail.

Monte

Monte said:
Zinc Penny said:
Zinc Penny, where do you live?

Yes, I envy some of the folks in some of the places in the central to eastern states as well, knowing that many areas that once held potential have been built over, paved over, and otherwise altered from how they once were. That kind of limits their opportunities to find a lot of the early-era coinage and other keepers from the past as they are gone or covered up. Yes, I know that happens out here in the Western US as well, but we still have a lot of opportunities to uncover good targets from the past.

Do you only Coin & Jewelry Hunt where you're most likely to encounter a 'Zinc Penny" and other modern coinage, or do you branch out to include some Relic Hunting older sites that have more iron trash, building rubble and other challenges to deal with?

I have pulled all of my Larger Cents from Oregon and Utah. My 2¢ pieces from Utah and Nevada. The 3¢ coins came from Utah, and all of my Half-Dimes, to include an 1836 Capped Bust from Utah and perhaps a dozen-plus Seated Liberty Half-Dimes from Utah, Nevada and Arizona. Shield & 'V' Nickels from Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, Idaho and California. My Seated Liberty Dime totals have been about 3X to 4X the number of Barber Dimes, and both types have come mainly from Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Wyoming and Arizona.

The list could go on but I think you get the drift here, and that is older US coins were circulated all over the place, and many lost 'Out West' are still located where 'progress' hasn't arrived yet to wipe out their existence. On AHRPS you can see some of the results people have had on two Welcome-to-Hunt Outings in May and September of last year, and even this past May were unwelcome weather hampered our Outing. We have our 4th WTHO coming up Sept.3rd thru 11th based out of Wells, Nevada, and I can guarantee you there will be some exciting finds made, and all of it from 'Out West' and not from a Central, Mid-West, Eastern, South-Eastern or other in-between location.

What to try and find some old keepers for yourself? You, and anyone, are welcome to come and join the fun. Outings are 'open' to anyone w/o any membership or fee, just come and have a good time. Interested? Shoot me an e-mail.

Monte

I mosly hunt parks and the beach, thus most of my coinage is modern, but i do find older coins every once in a while, my oldest is a Barber Half I think its a 1910, i have it put up somewhere will have to check the date, have also found a buffalo nickel. But i dont really have anywhere to go to find old coins, most of the really good areas are paved over. I would love to get out and detect in some other towns but i dont know anywhere to go.

What detector and coil and settings were you using? Just curious.

Monte

very nice find

Nice find Ed, there's probably still more hiding in the trash. You have to wonder how many times can you go over a spot and still find good ones. I haven't been out much lately, works been busy.
HH Butch