Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Copper or Zinc Pennies ?

ferdware

What is the difference on VDI from copper to zinc pennies? Also what year did they stop making copper pennies and change to zinc?

Thanks
Ferd

They changed in 1982. There are both types in 82. The copper ID close to dimes around the 70's while the zinc's are in the 50's. The zinc's vary a lot depending on the state of corrosion.

I agree with Rob with the exception that the changeover occurred in mid-year 1982.

I'm getting old, no I am old. I'll change it.

Thank you Rob. I appreciate all you do for us.

BTW, I could keep an army of people busy making corrections behind me. :surrender:

Bob

Thank you Rob and Hunt4fun, for the info and a good laugh. That would also explain what was driving me crazy the other day. I was hunting a fresh cut at the beach and dug up more than a few pennies that I was expecting to be dimes. I also dug up a lot of dimes, a lot, and a good bit of those were hitting right at 80 or 83 on the VDI. I thought they were going to be quarters. Is there an explanation for this as well?

Thank you again.

Ferd

Hi Ferd ... I dig all repeating positive signals at a saltwater beach. Reason being, I have dug dimes from the mid 60s to the mid 80s with both my V3i and MXT. Other coins do the same kind of thing. Probably has something to do with the conductive saltwater. Maybe someone above my paygrade can explain it.

If it is a good sounding signal and it pinpoints small ... dig.

Bob

Thanks Hunt4fun,
I dig up everything at the beach. I figure it is the only way to really learn the detector. I am still new to MD so I have no previous detector to compare with. I can call any coin usually along with bottle caps and pull tabs. I hate when I know its a bottle cap or pulltab but I have to dig it anyway. WHICH I have to say that after today Im glad that I do. Today at the beach I was digging what I thought was a pulltab but turned out to be a silver (925) womans ring. The only thing that kinda threw me off was that the 2.5 khz on the pinpoint screen rang higher. good thing hu. I found three rings today, but Im going to post that seperate with pictures.

Thanks again
Ferd

The only thing that kinda threw me off was that the 2.5 khz on the pinpoint screen rang higher.

Why did that throw you?
For thicker targets with high silver content there is no question that 2.5 kHz will hit harder than 22.5 kHz. For US nickels 22.5 kHz will hit hardest. 22.5 kHz may also work best on small thin coins, even those with high silver content, due to skin effect. High frequency may also work best on low silver content coinage. 7.5 kHz is typically better on copper coins.

That is the easiest way to I.D. crown caps and screw caps... when pinpointing, 22.5 kHz hits harder on crowns & 7.5 kHz hit screw caps and both VDI at 83... at least in my soil anyway. One reason I love the V! :)

Hi Rob,
Yea I thought about it after I posted. I forgot to mention that it also hit 48 a few times on the VDI. From what I have gotten use to here at this beach. I just didn't know. I have also learned to sweep over the deeper targets every few scoops, because the VDI will keep changing.
Ferd