Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe coils

Herb Jones

Going out this Morning... gonna run all of my snipers/snoopers/hockey puck style
Coils... do any of you have any field Use with the smallest CoRe coil? What kind of depth ar you getting? I am going to
Compare it to the idx snooper and the small dd T2..

Herb Jones said:
Going out this Morning... gonna run all of my snipers/snoopers/hockey puck style Coils... do any of you have any field Use with the smallest CoRe coil?
The smallest coil Nokta makes for the CoRe is the 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD. This slightly 'Out-Of-Round' ... 'OOR' ... coil is the one that got my interest up about the FORS CoRe in the first place. When I first got the CoRe in my hands in January of '15, that was the first search coil I mounted because I wanted to put the new-to-me CoRe to the test against other makes and models in my detector arsenal at the time. Those included the MXT All-Pro w/6½" Concentric, MX-5 w/6½" Concentric, Fisher F-75 w/5" DD, Teknetics Omega 8000 V.4 w/5" DD, Teknetics T2 'Classic' w/5" DD.

I used my Nail Board Performance Test to get started with an iron nail challenge, then proceeded to use a few other test scenarios to compare Discrimination ability, Recovery speed with iron rejection, recovery speed and response with iron nail acceptance, 'lock-on' ability of the visual Target ID, audio qualities as well as Audio Tone ID function, and other behaviors I have encountered afield. I started using the term 'OOR' many years ago when Tesoro brought out their 8X9 Concentric coil because it wasn't a pronounced elliptical design, and I used that description for the small coil on the CoRe and then the Makro Racer. It seems to have caught on, just like the attraction people have to that coil's performance.

Matter of fact, I am also headed out today, when it gets light outside, and my CoRe and 'OOR' are ready-to-go!

Herb Jones said:
What kind of depth ar you getting?
Depth? With a smaller-size search coil? Usually those two don't associate because the smaller coils are at their best working in-between trash or in and around brush, fences, and structures. Mid-size to larger-size coil are generally used to achieve increased detection depth.

However, having used the 'OOR' coil on the CoRe, as well as the Makro Racer and Racer 2, I have compared the coil and detectors afield against a number of detectors with their comparable smaller coils. I didn't measure the actual depths each coil got on different planted test targets, but instead used the simple 'Pass/Fail' method on naturally located targets in a variety of site environments. I can take several detectors and comparable coils to a location and set them up so the settings are as close to similar as possible to keep things fair. Then I make sure each detector/coil set-up is ground balanced over the same spot.

I use a package of small colored 'dot' type stickers, then grid off about a 10X20 foot area so all the detectors are close at hand. I ignore the obviously shallow targets but concentrate on those that appear to be 4" or deeper. I sweep slowly and methodically listening for any 'digable' beep. Then I compare each of the other detectors on that same located target sweeping across it with all detectors along the same route or direction. If the detector/coil combination produce a good to reasonably-good audio response I would want to recover, then the combination Passes and I continue my comparisons.

If I locate a target and compare all models, but one of the detector/coil set-ups does NOT produce a beep or any audio response worthy to justify recovering a target, it Fails. If a detector/coil Fail, I put a colored 'Dot' sticker on the coil. Then I continue using all detector and coil combinations I bring along, putting a Failed sticker on the unit when they can't Pass this comparison test. When a detector/coil package gets their 3rd Failed sticker, the "three strikes and your out" rule takes effect and I am done with that detector and coil.

I then continue on, searching for the smallest or deepest targets I can locate to continue comparisons. Eventually, there will be enough Failures that you will be left with one or maybe two detectors that PASS this in-the-field comparison for potential depth-of-detection.

I do know that my CoRe w/'OOR' mounted has been about the best performing detector I have used in recent years when in an area without nearby masking trash and I am able to achieve some depth. I have one so equipped and always at-the-ready but haven't done the comparison I just related against my newer detectors, the Impact, MX-7 and Multi-Kruzer. Next week we are due for some sunny and pleasant weather in the upper 50° to 60° range and I think I will do that using the smallest and more comparable coils I have for them. I know it will be close because the CoRe is tough to beat on detection depth afield.

Herb Jones said:
I am going to Compare it to the idx snooper and the small dd T2..
Just keep in mind that some detectors are more analog circuitry and other digital, and that some small coils are DD and other are Concentric and those differences, along with the physical size of the coil, can make a lot of difference in the end results. Rather than cut a plug, plant a test sample and compare them, I suggest you do a true side-by-side test on naturally located targets and keep track of the results.

When you're finished with your comparisons, be sure to share the results with all of us.

Monte

Awesome coil in trash. It really has no equal.
It allowed me to get a few good targets that the stock coil couldn't. It's not as deep of course but that's to be expected. The good stuff I find in most sites I hunt is around 3-6 inches deep with a few exceptions.