Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe & Mars "Sniper" coil

D&P-OR

Are any of you guys using the 6X10 DD Mars "Sniper" coil on your CoRe?-----If so, what do you think of that combo & how is the performance?-----I like the way the coil ears are centered on the coil.-----It looks like a NEL "Sharpshooter" coil (which is a good coil---but I guess NEL doesn't make a Sharpshooter for the CoRe.----------Del

and the results seemed to be similar to what the NEL Sharpshooter coil did on a Makro Racer or Racer 2.

I have the 5½X10 Concentric on my FORS Relic, and I like it because it is a Concentric design.

But I am really enjoying the size, feel and performance of the new IM24 5X9½ open-frame DD on my production Impact, and I am comfortable with the rod-mount / coil 'ear' positioning. I plan to get an FC24 for my FORS CoRe units and an FR24 coil for my FORS Relic models. If I make a run up your direction in the near future I'll let you know and you can check out the new design coil on my Impact.

Monte

Sounds good Monte.----Patsy & I will be around the house the next few days.----I may give you a call.:thumbup:-----------Del
Monte said:
and the results seemed to be similar to what the NEL Sharpshooter coil did on a Makro Racer or Racer 2.

I have the 5½X10 Concentric on my FORS Relic, and I like it because it is a Concentric design.

But I am really enjoying the size, feel and performance of the new IM24 5X9½ open-frame DD on my production Impact, and I am comfortable with the rod-mount / coil 'ear' positioning. I plan to get an FC24 for my FORS CoRe units and an FR24 coil for my FORS Relic models. If I make a run up your direction in the near future I'll let you know and you can check out the new design coil on my Impact.

Monte

Del, I didn't realize that Mars made a coil for the Fors CoRe. I ordered the Mars Sniper for the CoRe this morning and will let ya know in 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the heads up. The only place I could find to get one was over somewheres in England. So hopefully it will get here soon. If it does as well as a NEL Sharpshooter on a Racer/Racer 2, it will be a heck of a coil.

Any official verdict on the Sniper coil for the Fors CoRe ??? I asked Mars about the new FC24's availability or lack thereof but got no response. Maybe the Sniper could be a good alternative. I really like the Tiger on my F19.

Yes, I was also interested in the new Nokta/Makro coils for the CoRe and Racer.......but I can't find any place that has any in stock. Guess it takes quite awhile to get them over here.

As far as the Mars Sniper coil (6x10") for the Fors CoRe, I think it's going to be a nice coil.

I ordered one and then Del wanted a couple...so I ordered a couple more for him, but they ran out of stock and could only send one. So I told Del to take the one I ordered plus the extra one and I would get one later. ( I had to get them out of England) I did briefly put one on my Fors CoRe and did the nail board test real quick before Del stopped by and got them.

It hit 8 for 8 and didn't even break a sweat doing so. I think Del has played with them since maybe he will see this and give some input. But my first impression is I think it will be a great coil option for the CoRe. I finally got another one headed this way, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get it shipped over here.

gregg

Keep us posted please.

6X10 open-frame Mars "Sniper" coil is going to be the new Nokta 5X9½ open-frame FC24. I have always preferred a quality coil made by the detector manufacturer over an after-market coil, unless the factory coil falls short on performance and the aftermarket coil excels. I always give the factory-made coil the first chance to satisfy my wants and needs, and when I get one for the CoRe I'll give it a side-by-side comparison afield with Oregon Gregg's Mars coil after he gets it. Just how I am.

Monte

LOL ok Monte I'll accept your challenge. May the best coil win :) Well what do ya know, Monte just pulled in my driveway so we could do a morning hunt. I'll walk out and tell him the challenge is on. Although at this point the challenge is actually trying to get either coil......the 6x10 is hard to find and the Nokta 5x9.5 is non- existant.

OregonGregg said:
LOL ok Monte I'll accept your challenge. May the best coil win :) Well what do ya know, Monte just pulled in my driveway so we could do a morning hunt. I'll walk out and tell him the challenge is on. Although at this point the challenge is actually trying to get either coil......the 6x10 is hard to find and the Nokta 5x9.5 is non- existant.

So which coil reigned supreme? :twodetecting:

LOL well, time will tell.....for the simple fact, each coil is being shipped from England. I'm still guessing it will be a few weeks before they get here. God forbid you actually find the coils over here.

Need to amp up the coil production a bit :)

I have a 5X9½ open-frame RC24 for my Racer2 coming, should be here Monday!

Hows the 5X9½ do on the NBT?

Cal_Cobra said:
I have a 5X9½ open-frame RC24 for my Racer2 coming, should be here Monday!

Brian how is the RC24 doing on your Racer 2 ?? Have you had a chance to give it a try yet. I am still waiting for the two coils for the CoRe to get here.

Received the RC24 for the Fors CoRe and as expected works (eats) the Nail Board Test. Is a nice looking well-built coil and performs very well on the CoRe. The Mars 10 x6 still has not got here yet. But the quick test I did on the one that went to Del, it also performed well. I'm looking at separation and haven't done any depth test...not really interested in depth though, just how they separate in the trash. So for me I actually like the FC24 coil, do to its little bit smaller dimensions. But when the other coil gets here, I'll try them side by side again, and maybe do a quick air test to see if depth is much different between the two.

I actually would love to see them produce the 7" concentric for the CoRe machine. From what I have seen with the 7" coil that Monte is using on his Impact, the 7" coil is one heck of a performer, but where it really shines is how it handles the rusted bottle caps, flat iron, and rusted tin. It rejects or makes identifying that junk a whole lot easier over the DD coils.

Played with the FC24 coil a bit more on the NBT. Set it up the good old standard way of doing it, zinc penny in the #1 spot and set my disc to just knock out the nails ( 21 on the CoRe) I tried 3 tone and 2 tone. I got 8 for 8. If ghost towns only consisted of iron nails and no such thing as rusted tin, boy the 2 tone sure makes the coin stand out ( pop). In the #2 position all was well except "down the barrel". If I lowered my disc back to 10 and swept slow, I could pick up the penny. But I wonder to myself if I was actually out detecting would it have given me enough tone/sound to stop and investigate....and would I have been sweeping my coil that slow to actually pick it up ??? Also Brian, I see what you are saying about the 5.5 x 10 enclosed. I knew it was a great coil, so I put it on and it did every bit as good as the 5x9.5 did. I hate to see them discontinue that coil.

But those coils are still 9 & 10" coils. I then grabbed the Racer 2 with the small coil mounted and easily did the NBT. The audio response was cleaner (especially in 3 tone) and it passes the test in the #2 position getting the coin while swinging "Down the barrel" If you want to do the "nonstandard NBT" making the NBT even more difficult, then the small coils easily keep on detecting the penny whereas the larger 9 & 10" coils rapidly fall off. The 5 x 9.5 and the 5.5 x 10 are great coils and will use them to detect the outer fringe areas of ghost towns, open areas etc that usually don't have an over abundance of trash ( nails, rusted tin etc) but they won't replace my smaller coils when it does come time to hunt the more trashy iron, rusted tin infested sites, the only coil that might do that is the new 7" concentric. If UPS can get it here with out losing it again I might have it by the 1st of next month. Really eager to get that coil on the end of my Racer 2 and give it a real good workout in a truly iron, rusted tin infested ghost town.

So wait, I JUST got the 5 x 9.5 coil and now your telling me I NEED the 7" concentric too :shrug:

If the 7" can really negate that rusty ghost town flat tin, that would be slick at the desert ghost towns. Probably get 7" max depth on a silver dime?

I'd say the majority of the detecting finds I've made, and seen made in the desert were mostly in the 6-7" range, although I've dug and seen dug far deeper.

LOL one can never have enough coils....so yep get the checkbook out :) But on a serious note, goes to show one man's sites can be a lot different than another. Of all the coins/tokens I have found, it's rare if I hit 7" to retrieve them. In these old sites up here and the sites I have hit in NV the coins have been surface to 3-4" My biggest battle is separation, fighting all the iron and rusted tin etc to find the coin(s) Depth really has not been a big concern for me. Unless the way over abundance of iron and tin is removed I am not going to get great depth, but that is the spots that are literally a carpet of that crap.

When I hunt the fringe areas, less trashy areas, then I use the 5.5 x 10, new 5x 9.5" or sharpshooter coil. So I have my depth covered there and either one of those coils will give me great separation in a somewhat trashy area.

My Quote "LOL ok Monte I'll accept your challenge. May the best coil win"

Well, I am going to have to give this one to Monte. I did receive the FC24 9.5 x 5" Nokta coil for the Fors CoRe. It is definitely a performer. I used it yesterday afternoon at a site that I usually use my Racer 2 with snake coil. So I slowly worked the site with that coil and was very happy with its performance. I had my disc on the CoRe set at 10, so I could hear about everything. Even with the "rapid machine gun fire" sound of the low iron tone in all the nails etc, it had no problem locking on to non-ferrous targets. A few of those non-ferrous targets turned out to be keepers. The coil is solidly built coils ears almost in the right spot :) ( I like them in the center) This coil will prob see a lot of use on the Fors CoRe.

As far as the M@rs 10x6" coil......at this point I have no idea where it is at and if it will even get here. I did try the one Del got. I did do a quick NBT and it also easily passed it. Of the two I do like the bit smaller dimensions of the Nokta Coil. Here are a few of the finds and a pic of the coil.

Thanks for the FC24 write-up OregonGregg. I was debating between the Mars Sniper and the FC24. I too would prefer smaller than bigger and the Sniper is getting pretty close to the stock 7 X 11. Does the FC24 ID the same as the stock DD coil on the CoRe on common targets ?

Mike, I did encounter a few coins while detecting, a few modern nickels and copper pennies plus the merc dime. They all seemed to pop in at the proper vdi...the nickels did range from 54-56. The pennies were 83-85 and the dime at 85. They all came in where they should plus or minus a VDI number.