Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe on Jewelry

I love my CoRe and have dug some deep items in areas that I previously searched with other machines. I however haven't dug a ring yet. I love digging rings and have done quit well digging them. What Numbers do gold ring show up for y'all. I assume a silver ring would be around 90. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Silver rings come in at the 82 to 92 range, in my experience, depending upon thickness/mass of the silver. More silver = bigger number. Gold is the same idea, but the numbers will be lower. Thin gold ring may be in the 20's, whereas my wedding ring comes in at 70. So, if you hope to get a gold ring, prepare to dig a lot of aluminum.

I'm curious if the same can be said for the Impact in that one has to dig a lot of pull tabs and aluminum to find the gold? Wouldn't aluminum sound just a little different than solid gold?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I'm curious if the same can be said for the Impact in that one has to dig a lot of pull tabs and aluminum to find the gold? Wouldn't aluminum sound just a little different than solid gold?

The simple answer is the Impact is no different than any VLF detector in that regard. They (tabs, alum., foil) will sound and ID the same as gold because the the machine can't tell the difference. They fall within the same range to any detector. That's why so little gold is found. It Id's the same as modern trash. Small gold will usually Id as foil, just above iron. The same goes for Nickles. You hear and read very little about people finding Nickles vs Dimes, Quarters, and Penny's because they (Nickles) ID as modern trash and people coin hunting will usually walk right past them. Discriminate out the modern trash items and you have also discriminated out Gold. Hope this helps,

John

Dreamweaver4849 said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

The simple answer is the Impact is no different than any VLF detector in that regard. They (tabs, alum., foil) will sound and ID the same as gold because the the machine can't tell the difference. They fall within the same range to any detector. That's why so little gold is found. It Id's the same as modern trash. Small gold will usually Id as foil, just above iron. The same goes for Nickles. You hear and read very little about people finding Nickles vs Dimes, Quarters, and Penny's because they (Nickles) ID as modern trash and people coin hunting will usually walk right past them. Discriminate out the modern trash items and you have also discriminated out Gold. Hope this helps,

John

But doesn't the impact give more information on the target? Are there settings to tell you more about the target or is it just a numbers game?

But doesn't the impact give more information on the target? Are there settings to tell you more about the target or is it just a numbers game?[/quote]

Sorry but this thread is, was about the CoRe unit. If you want go in depth about the Impact's features and Id capabilities that's fine but it would be better to start a thread specifically regarding that.

Good Jewelry: My definition is any jewelry item, from a small ear ring or thin ankle or bracelet chain, to a child's size up to a larger adult-size ring, decorative pendants, and all manner of jewelry which is made of sterling silver or gold with or with-out gem stones.

elvis earnhardt said:
I love my CoRe and have dug some deep items in areas that I previously searched with other machines.
My FORS CoRe has been providing me with very good depth-of-detection for 2½ years, and in places with sparse targets where depth is achievable I often work it with the standard 7X11 DD coil. This year I have used my Impact to complement that performance and maybe edge it out in some locations, but my CoRe w/7X11 is a serious performing detector. :thumbup:

elvis earnhardt said:
I however haven't dug a ring yet. I love digging rings and have done quit well digging them.
I'm curious what detector makes/models you have had some of the better success using for finding gold & silver jewelry? I'm in my 53rd year of detecting, but the bulk of my better jewelry finds since July of '83 have come my way when using a Tesoro model. Part of the reason for success over other detector I had in the past was the quick-response and fast-recovery in trashier sites combined with the operating frequencies they operated at. But the biggest reason is that they were/are non-display detectors and with the Discrimination at or near the minimum setting, I just employ the Beep-DIG! method of search for best success.

Using ANY detector model with a visual display and then relying on it to help isolate potential gold or silver jewelry items is almost a waste of time. Why would I say that? Because of the simple fact that non-ferrous junk coms in a wide range of sizes and shapes, and varying amounts of different metal alloys which result in them spanning a range of conductivities from just barely above a ferrous/iron target ID range, such as very thin, fine Foil to higher conductivity levels that might be similar to a modern US Zinc Cent, which is close to the older Indian Head Cent, or even higher than that to about duplicate the numeric TID response from a better-conductive Copper Cent or Clad or Silver Dime.

Along that full-range spectrum of numeric TID's that could be various sizes and shapes of Foil are the complete or bent or broken and separated parts of older Ring-Pull Tabs, many different rectangular Pry-Tabs, broken/mower-cut pieces of "Can Slaw", and various sizes, shapes and metal types of common objects such as metal Buttons, metal Keys, all sorts of pocket-carry objects and we certainly can't forget a vast array of Costume Jewelry, too.

Desirable Silver and Gold Jewelry, unfortunately, also falls into all of this same broad-range of conductivities based upon the jewelry item's size, shape, and metal alloy content. In other words, similar viasual TID numeric responses might come from a decent jewelry item or an undesired non-ferrous object or piece of an object.

elvis earnhardt said:
What Numbers do gold ring show up for y'all. I assume a silver ring would be around 90. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
I never try to associate a numeric response to try and categorize silver and gold jewelry because it spans a very broad range and comingles with the TID read-ours of various US coins, foreign coins, other desirable keepers as well as an annoying amount of non-ferrous trash that has been lost or discarded.

There is only one way to verify whether a located targets in good or bad, of a quality metal or not, and that is to follow the quote I have immediately below in my Signature.

Best of success,

Monte

Maybe someday they will make a metal detector that will actually detect gold and differentiate it as gold as opposed to aluminum? Until that day . . . dig everything and hope for the best.