Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRe vs nickles

Herb Jones

Love the CoRe... getting some good results from it... but those dag blasted nickles continue to elude me. Considering the volume of Production and everyday usage of nickles in the years gone by, it would seem as though they would be everywhere, but I have only dug 3 nickles with my CoRe... I have killed the pulltabs, but my ground is steadily turning every denomination of coin except nickles. I have a nice collection of silver quarters, and silver dimes but hardly any nickles.... am I Missing something or is it just a numbers game? In my test bed I get a solid unwavering 56 VID, but haven't hit a solid 56 in the field yet... always a jumping 56-58 and almost Always a PTab. I can't help
But think That I am leaving a lot behind. Are y'all having any luck with this?

Nickels .. I can go lots of hunts without finding a single one .. Than there are days i seem to find lots of them .. I have found 6 in a hole .. It seems to be the VDI #58 . I carry a nickel with me because Detectors have different VDI numbers on those nickels ..

I am KILLING the pull tabs though... so that makes Me have hope.

The Fors CoRe does great on nickels, but like you, I seem to find a lot more other variety coins. In the old sites I hunt, it seems I have found more old quarters, dimes, IH and Wheats than I have nickels. The CoRe did find me a nice shield nickel though and I guess the most of any type of nickel I have found is V nickels. Don't seem to come across too many buffaloes.

In old sites, if I get a decent mid-tone I dig and basically ignore the VDI number........ But in the rare case, I hunt a more modern park or this one site that Monte and I hunt, It is literally littered with just nonferrous, very little ferrous junk. Drives ya crazy so I use the CoRe and oor coil and just cherry pick it. I did manage to get a Buffalo nickel and that is because it rang in dead on 56.

But I agree for me Nickels can be a hit or miss, some days you stumble across a few in one day or may not dig one for quite some time.

It does seem odd to me that I dig so few... seems like back years ago kids dropping nickels would have been everywhere ... surprised I find so few.

If you watch the change that you get when shopping you will see that you get very few nickles back. You add that to the fact that they're shinier and bigger that the pennies and there's probably not as many lost as we would think.

I agree on not finding as many nickels.
I used to think finding nickels was meaning I was on the right track, but I now realize there just aren't as many out there, at least where I've hunted.

It does quite well on the full range of conductivities for US coins, as well as gold and silver jewelry, and I especially found it very versatile when working a couple of older parks where I knew 'nickels' used to be more commonly found. The biggest problems for all Coin & Jewelry Hunters here in the US is that there were vast numbers of long-lost coins found during the hey-day of the metal detecting hobby, especially through the 1970's and most of the '80s. Select places are still doing okay, but not with the coin loss activity that preceded for decades. Some sites were getting outdoor activity into the early '90s, but most places just are not used much, and that means limited coin loss for resupply.

So, thanks to those of us who got an early start in this great sport, a lot of the lost coins were found long ago. :detecting:

The other problem is modern coin loss. It takes a lot of people recreating and playing to generate coin loss, and I mean a lot. And it also take ample time. A long duration of a lot of people being active is what it took to leave behind the vast numbers of coins that were discovered by us early on. From 1993 until now, a quarter of a century, we have seen a rapid decline in the use of parks and playgrounds and sports fields. Those potentially very productive areas just are not seeing the replenishing of coins, mainly because nobody's there.

Most of the coins carried and then lost are pennies. Quite a few people even discard them because they don't like a penny that seems worthless today. Also, as mentioned below, most of the pocket change, nickels, dimes and quarters, are shinier or bigger and that makes them easier to spot so people eyeball a lost coin and pick it up. Of course a good number of eye-ballers won't put out the effort for a lowly penny so their numbers will be greater.

For example, here is the Penny Percentage I recoded over a 15 years [size=small](minus the two missing years)[/size]. This is just to give you a 'warning' of how many stinking pennies are out there. If an average Coin Hunter works modest to larger-sized cities and hunts a lot of tot-lots, playgrounds and parks, recovering all potential coins, to include the modern Zinc Cent, I believe the 1¢ Coin Percentages will be close to these over a one year period of hunting.

1995 = 63.92%
1996 = 56.03%
1997 = 51.56%
1998 = 60.56% [size=small](I recovered 7,557 pennies that year of the 12,479 total coins found.)[/size]

2001 = 59.69%
2002 = 59.79%
2003 = 57.75%
2004 = 59.95%
2005 = 56.83%

2006= 59.52%
2007 = 50.12%
2008 = 55.63%
2009 = 55.99%
2010 = 55.73%

2011 = 54.78%

57.19% pennies-per-year over those 15 years.

I like to Relic Hunt older sites more often, but due to an on-the-job back injury at Compass combined with continued back and shoulder problems and being more tied to work in the large urban environment, I set out to Coin Hunt more often after back surgery in mid-1995. In those documented 15 years I recovered coins that broke down to these denomination percentages:

$ = 00.[size=small]21[/size]%
H = 00.[size=small]063[/size]%
Q = 12.[size=small]146[/size]%
D = 18.[size=small]418[/size]%
N = 11.[size=small]47[/size]%
P = 57.[size=small]69[/size]%

That was also based on what I was finding each year six to twenty-two years ago. I don't find nearly as much these days because I put in more time working older sites, but less time overall simply due to impaired health and mobility. I was doing more Coin Hunting than I was Relic Hunting older sites back then, so my total counts were higher and it was also reflected in the denominations. Here are the percentages of what I managed to find in 2017:

$ = 00.[size=small]197[/size]%
H = 00.[size=small]033[/size]%
Q = 12.[size=small]26[/size]%
D = 16.[size=small]46[/size]%
N = 9.[size=small]23[/size]%
P = 61.[size=small]8[/size]%

That's last year's results for only 3043 coins found with 281 of them being the 5¢ variety and diminished percentage. I like finding more nickels, and thoroughly enjoyed finding far more coins back in the better early years, but it is what it is, and it varies by location. All we can do is enjoy finding anything of value, and my CoRe devices definitely do their share to achieve my goals. :thumbup:

As for the numeric VDI response, I've found that in relatively clean areas, without any nearby offending targets to mask the Nickels, I usually get a numeric response of '56' or '57.' However, different search coils can have an effect, and so can the coin's depth and orientation, not to forget the ground mineral make-up we might deal with. For coins in the surface to about ±4" honest depth where the majority of coins are found, I have also had Nickels respond down to '54' and as high as '58' with decent lock-on or maybe flickering toward/to '56' but repeatable.

Monte

Monte said:
The other problem is modern coin loss. It takes a lot of people recreating and playing to generate coin loss, and I mean a lot. And it also take ample time. A long duration of a lot of people being active is what it took to leave behind the vast numbers of coins that were discovered by us early on. From 1993 until now, a quarter of a century, we have seen a rapid decline in the use of parks and playgrounds and sports fields. Those potentially very productive areas just are not seeing the replenishing of coins, mainly because nobody's there.

Monte

The internet, cellular phone activity, social media and video games keep people indoors. The younger generation is certainly not losing jewelry and coins while texting on their phones. :) Thanks for a great post Monte. I think it's the first time I see actual find statistics compiled through so many years. I don't like finding pennies (unless it's the large cent variety) but they seem to be a necessary evil when hunting for old coins or smaller silver jewelry. In my hunting grounds the penny (and their relative oxidation levels) can make their target ID vary quite a lot.