Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CoRes or Racer which one to buy?

I already have the Racer Pro on order. I prefer the console arrangement over the CoRe style. As for performance they seem to be pretty close to call. Plus it's about $150 cheaper. If someone prefers the simple joystick on the CoRe then I don't think the price difference is enough to make a difference. I think the CoRe has an additional coil in the event that is a factor, but it wasn't for me.

I plan on buying the racer because it will be easy to pack with me and and I like where I can program it all from the same area and from all I have read it is just as good as the CoRe..and cost a bit less

Knowing what I know I would buy the Racer..

The performance is so close between the Two... yet the ergonomics and abiltiy to use ALL the info the display provides it is easy to say get the Racer..

Side by side I feel the Racer now that I know the nuances is a TAD bit deeper than the CoRe.. not much but a tad .. and that's across the board conductive wise..unamsking almost identiacal on either as long as you use the AWESOME small coil..

The Racer is a little more sparky too!

Keith

I haven't tested the CoRe head to head but I'll just chime in & say I think the Racer is much better on the arm. Can't wait for winter to end! ⛄

Keith can any coils that can be used on a F75 be used on the racer--I'm thinking specifically the nel sharpshooter. Thanks.

Are you serious togg?

One of each, that is, and make the Racer the Pro Package.

That's a safe bet and lets the end consumer make their own decision, .... AND have a pair of great detector models in-hand.

Monte

Yes Hombre, I'm serious--there are other detectors that have coil interchangeability and I just bought a nel sharpshooter for my 75 and I am getting a Racer so I AXED the question. You may answer.Thanks.

togg77 said:
Yes Hombre, I'm serious--there are other detectors that have coil interchangeability and I just bought a nel sharpshooter for my 75 and I am getting a Racer so I AXED the question. You may answer.Thanks.

Are you talking about 3rd party coils like NEL, Coiltek etc being produced for Makro/Nokta machines? On the other hand if you are talking about using coils designed specifically by/for current Tesoro/Fisher/Whites/Minelab/Garrett etc. and being able to connect to a Makro or Nokta machine or anything else, I don't think so. Your NEL coil works only with Fisher/Teknetics machines that share the same base design. NEL may have other coils called Sharpshooter for other brands and models but they are not the same coils. Different frequencies, plugs, etc.

I'm not aware of any independent company selling coils for the Racer or Core yet,
but if anybody has discovered any, please let us all know. That being said, it looks
like the two stock coils that come with the Pro Pack for the Racer will be enough
to keep me happy for quite a while, once my Racer finally arrives. (Soon, I hope.)

Monte has made it obvious he is a concentric coil kind of guy, but he apparently has been won over by the DD coils of the Makro/Nokta machines. I wonder if the machine is optimized for DD coils and maybe concentric coils wouldn't perform as well in this case. I think there is a closed coil 10x5.5 for the Racer that I would like to have for the smooth bottom but I haven't seen a lot of feedback on it yet. From the reviews so far I'm not sure why you would want to look for a 3rd party coil.

TabWhisperer said:
Monte has made it obvious he is a concentric coil kind of guy, but he apparently has been won over by the DD coils of the Makro/Nokta machines.
My two Compass TR's from the early '70s came sith DD coils standard. I also have the 5" DD for the Omega that I have also used on a G2 or the F19's I tested. I like the 5X10 DD for the Omega and F19 and G2's as well, even thought I no longer have one in my inventory. Other than those which I have or like, you're correct, I haven't cared for DD coils much and have preferred Concentric coils for as long as they have been around. Most specifically smaller-than-stock sizes for the trashier and brushier sites I hunt.

I prefer their ability to produce more consistent TID read-outs, Discriminate better, and provide more depth compared with similar-size DD coils. I like their consistent response regardless of the direction a Concentric approaches a target due to the uniform EMF. One of the keys to why I have preferred the Concentric coils is because the detectors they were designed top work on seemed to work better with a Concentric than with a DD design.

In the case of the Nokta FORS CoRe as well as the Makro Racer, we have detectors that were designed around DD type search coils and it is possible that the popularity of the DD coils in many parts of the world was a design choice and they were not or are not that familiar with Concentric coils. It is also possible that, by design, these detectors might not perform very well with a Concentric search coil.

It's also possible that the R&D engineers, from promptings, tried or might try to design a Concentric search coils for one or both detector models. I think this could be a good thing, if it's a functional size and perform well. Until we have a functional Concentric coil for these two models one thing is very clear, at least to me, and that is the well thought out circuitry design and search coil designs we have, even though the coils are Double-D types, these detectors won me over due to how well they balance, feel, and most importantly how they perform. Yes, even with DD coils.

TabWhisperer said:
I wonder if the machine is optimized for DD coils and maybe concentric coils wouldn't perform as well in this case.
That's possible, but I hope there are enough requests for them to at least explore a Concentric coil concept and at least try to design a smaller size that works with this circuitry.

TabWhisperer said:
I think there is a closed coil 10x5.5 for the Racer that I would like to have for the smooth bottom but I haven't seen a lot of feedback on it yet.
The 5½X10 DD enclose coil is a very good performer, even in iron trash.

You can refer back to a previous post I made: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?100,2151779,2151779#msg-2151779

I compared the performance of the FORS CoRe Pro pack with 3 coils and the Racer Pro Pack, which has the 7X11 and smaller coils, but I also included the 5½X10 DD coil in these evaluations. Very impressive, and while a little smaller than the 7X11, it handles dense iron nails better and should be a nice coil for a little extra coverage over the smaller coil in sites with short, stiff stubble and brush that tends to snag some open-frame coils.

TabWhisperer said:
From the reviews so far I'm not sure why you would want to look for a 3rd party coil.
On this comment I am 100% in agreement and I think it applies to several other detector manufacturers detectors and coil selection. Some of the aftermarket search coil interest, in my opinion, seems to be kind of a 'fad' like happening and some people just think they have to have them and that they all work better. I give a manufacturer credit, in most cases, for designing very functional search coils. I have owned and borrowed a number of these and, in the end, parted with most because in-the-field the factory offered coils from the detector manufacturers worked okay.

Monte

Monte, Keith Southern and others who have had the wonderful opportunity to use both machines, my question is this...does the larger coil on the CoRe warrant the extra $150? I.e. deeper for finding CW shells etc? Forgive me if I missed the testing on that larger coil, if done, BUT am curious and want to make a financially sounds decision.

Thank you so much!
Bubba

For me, after playing with both machines that Monte got to test and evaluate, as far as performance you will not be disappointed with either one. I chose the Racer because of coil selection. The Makro Racer offers the same three size coils as the CoRe machine ( 15 x 13, 11 x 7. 5.2 x 4.7 ) but it also offers the enclosed 5.5 x 10 coil which I don't think you can get with the Core machine. ( at least I don't see it listed on their site under CoRe Acces. ) I would much rather have that mid size coil the a 15" coil. I don't think I would ever use a coil that big.....but I mainly hunt ghost towns etc and if I need a big coil, the 11 x 7 will more then do the job for me. I was glad to see they left the biggest coil as an option instead of including it in the Racer Pro Pack.