Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Correct Sequence for setting Threshold and Ground Balance on the Tesoro Bandido ll µMax.

ToddB64

Hi ! :)

When setting up the Tesoro Bandido ll µMax preparing to hunt, Is it correct sequence to set the Threshold before the Ground Balance ?
I think so, but need confirmation.....see attached picture of Bandido ll µMax controls console for reference if wanted.

If you disagree with the sequence in my question, please tell me what you believe to be correct and why.
It's important to give your reasons why.... Please don't forget ! ;)

Thanks,
ToddB64

Attachments

• Bandido II µMAX Console, .jpg
    Bandido II µMAX Console, .jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 552
Straight from the owners manual:

Ground Balance Control

This rotary switch control has one function:

• Adjusts the Ground Balance
This control adjusts the All Metal Mode sampling so that the Bandido II µMax ignores the normal ground mineralization. Making this adjustment is often called “Ground Balancing.” The knob will turn continually in either direction, although its effective use range is only 3¾ turns. Once you have turned the knob to the end of its use range in either direction, you should notice a slight increase in “drag” as the knob is turned. When you feel the “drag,” you may immediately reverse direction to enter the effective use range for the next 3¾ turns.

• NOTE: The GROUND control does affect both operating modes but should be adjusted in All Metal Mode.

Threshold
Threshold Level Control

This rotary switch control has one function:

• Adjusts the Threshold Control
The THRESHOLD control is used to adjust the audio level of the detector's threshold up or down to its desired level. Normal setting would be a barely audible hum. This is not a volume control for the detector itself. Although this control is placed on the front panel for convenience, once it is set to the desired threshold tone, it will not require frequent resetting.

TUNING YOUR DETECTOR
Every detector must be properly tuned in order to perform at its peak and provide maximum depth. In fact, the more powerful a detector is, the more critical the tuning becomes. Less powerful detectors are more tolerant of improper tuning, but are also not capable of the depth of a properly tuned high-powered detector such as the Bandido II µMax. To achieve peak performance from your Bandido II µMax, be sure to properly adjust the GROUND control in All Metal Mode. The settings of this control will also affect the detector's performance in Discriminate Mode, so make sure to adjust it properly first, even if you will not be hunting in All Metal Mode. Remember: improper tuning will reduce performance and can also cause “false” and erroneous “ghosting signals.”

Tuning your Bandido II µMax can be done in 6 simple steps:

1. Adjust Threshold using Threshold Control.
  2. Ground Balancing the detector using the GROUND control.
  3. Setting the operating mode using the MODE switch.
  4. Setting the tuning mode using the TUNE switch.
  5. Setting the Sensitivity level using the SENSITIVITY control.
  6. Setting the Discrimination level using the DISC LEVEL control.
NOTE: Ground Balancing should be done while in All Metal Mode and Auto Tune Mode. Setting the Discriminate Level and the Sensitivity Level should be done while operating in Discriminate Mode.

Hi vwpittman !

The "6 simple steps" listed on page 8 of my manual under the sub-title TUNING YOUR DETECTOR confirms what I had thought and thanks for bringing that to my attention again ! ;)

Furthermore, I interpret that those 6 steps exemplify the proper sequence Tesoro intended for users to follow when initially setting up the Bandido ll µMax control adjustments. They didn't say that, so I guess it was left to our intuition or mental telepathy. :rolleyes:

After acquiring my second-hand Bandido ll µMax and carefully reading completely through the manual, I wasn't very happy with the way it was formatted and written. I realize the writer's and editor's had a big challenge trying to render all the instructions and special notes into an organized arrangement with an eye to keeping the manual as brief as possible. However, IMHO the manual instructions weren't arranged with complete information under each sub-title. As I read through the manual, I discovered additional instructions and notes further on pertaining to subjects started on earlier pages. So I had to go back to the earlier pages and add notes directing me to subsequent pages, to completely compile the "rest of the story", as old timers like me will remember of Paul Harvey, Radio Broadcaster, who passed away in 2009. Anyway, I could go on with more critiques, but I've made my point.

In conclusion, in the earlier days I made "pocket cards" to completely and briefly compile the manual instructions, to carry along with me on hunts until I could memorize everything, but it was still a PITA. In the meantime, I acquired a few other makes/models of detectors that were so much easier to learn and more fun for me than the Bandido ll µMax, so it got left in the cupboard for years until recently when I decided to get serious about learning and using it. And with many more years of experience, I'm ready for the challenge !

ToddB64

Well, if you decide to give up on it, let me know. Hopefully you will turn the setup into habit/second nature from using it more often. Good luck and happy hunting!

: vwpittman], Well, if you decide to give up on it, let me know. Hopefully you will turn the setup into habit/second nature from using it more often. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks for the nice reply vw ! We're having temps below 30° Fahrenheit in the mornings and climbing to 40° - 45° on average in the afternoons and air temps with breezes feels too cold for my old bones to go out MD'ing, but I'm anxious for Spring weather. ;)

Good Luck to you too !
(PS: … I wish Find's had member Profiles where we could learn more about each other; i.e. male, female, them/they, residential location, occupation and other hobbies.)

ToddB64