Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CORS Strike 12x13 (NEl Tornado) vs 11" DD Teknetics T2 Classic

Fish N Chips

I got my Cors Strike (NEL Tornado) today. It is a nice coil and not as large as I thought. A bit heavier but very manageable. Most reviews indicate it gives about 2" more depth than the stock coil, and my results show that to be pretty accurate. What I did like was the TID seemed to work better on the deeper signals. I took it outside to my new test garden. My old one got dug up for some landscaping, so I made this new garden about a week ago in my front yard. I have quarters and dimes buried 6", 8", 10" and 12". Also some bottle caps, square nails and pull tabs.

The EMI comes and goes at my house as I am not far from a radar base and electrical lines. It was acting up today and was pretty annoying. The 11" coil I was able to get up to 90 sensitivity with some noise, the CORS I ran at 80 and it was quiet. Ground balance was 78 on both coils, and discrimination was 10.

The 11" coil I can get the 6" dime and 8" quarter. I can only get a chirp on the 10" dime (non-dig able IMO), and can get the 10" quarter if I get just the right swing, but the TID is erratic and tone jumpy. A noticeable signal but erratic.

The CORS Strike I can get the 10" dime loud and clear with a TID of 82-89. I can get the 10" quarter loud and clear. The 12" quarter is a whisper signal but clear and a decent TID at 85-91. I think the TID will be more stable once I get away from the house, even sitting in the yard the TID jumps around due to the interference (even my Tesoros pick it up).

I tried to air test the coil but the EMI was too much when not swinging on the ground. I will try it again on a better day or area. I was surprised to find there was actually iron in my test garden. I checked before making it with the 11" coil but it was silent, well the CORS coil is picking up some very deep iron around the yard and some of it by where I buried targets. I will obviously have to relocate it once the rains come and the ground softens up.

I tried the tones and found that the 2+ tone was more stable than the 3 tone on the deep signals. The 3 tone works but "flutters" and is not as clean as a signal on the 12" quarter but does high tone. 3b looses a lot of depth but does work well for the bottle caps. Discrimination with the larger coin seems fine. I turned the discrimination up to 50 and was still able to detect the 12" quarter. That flutter may be an asset when chasing deep coins, I will have to play around with it and see which of the tones I prefer.

Field results will vary no doubt. I am sure older buried coins will ring up a bit better than my fresh buried coins, I am hoping the old silver will ring up even better! I am hoping its separation in light trash is ok. My tone and TID were decent enough on the 12" quarter I think I can make a decent educated guess in the field, but will definitely wear headphones chasing those faint signals.

So far it seems to be an improvement in depth and TID, separation in trash will remain to be decided. It is hard to make a full judgement due to the EMI affecting my results and limiting my tests. Once I get into the parks and away from interference, I will be able to better see how it performs. I have dug deeper signals in the field than my 11" coil will detect in my test garden, so am hopeful I may be able to squeeze out a bit more depth on long buried coins. It will definitely make a great beach and field coil!

CORs%20Strike_zpsbheswlsc.jpg

Thanks for the review I'm looking forward to your report on your first real world hunt. How's the weight and balance of it on the T2 compared to the stock coil?

The weight is noticeably more than the 11" coil, but not bad. Balance is a bit more forward/toe heavy but I did not notice any strain in my arm from it. The attachment is in the center of the coil so it balances the weight pretty well for its size. I would have no trouble swinging it all day. When I first put the coil on I could feel the difference, but after a few minutes in the garden I forgot about it and it felt fine to me. Due to the size I do not think i would try swinging it around any brush or weeds, I think it is better suited for more open areas with sand, short grass or dirt. If I was hunting in a bushy spot I would definitely use the stock coil or a smaller coil.

Thanks for the review. Is that the latest version (5th generation I think ?). I ask this because I had one but it was an older version and super heavy. I think they really brought the weight down recently to be more competitive with the Ultimate. I'd appreciate it if you could weigh it if you can and report back. The Ultimate is about 550 grams and the Tornado felt much heavier than that at the time.

I'm thinking about getting the latest version. Thanks.