Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cortes ground balancing problem.

Kidd

Hello to everyone on the forum. I once again find myself turning to you for the asnswers. I am new to Tesoro in General. I just bought the Cortes with high hopes. Right off the bat I am having a problem. I find myself unable to groundf balance the machine, but the problem starts with trying to find a steady tone. The book says to adjust the tone to a steady hum. I can't find a steady hum. What I have is an erratic background buzz, the turns into a loud signal tone, when I turn up the threshhold. I have 2 coils, and it occurs on both coils, I have tried turning down the sens., and made sure I was not over metal. I also have tried this now in 5 differant places, and all the time, the best tone I can find is the erratic buzz. I've tryed learning to ground balance, but its impossible when I can't get a steady signal to start. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? I will be calling the factory, but hope someone could help me understand if this is a sign of anything wrong. Thanks for all your help in the past, and for taking the time to read this, Kidd

Hi Kidd, I just purchased a used Cortes that is apparently in very good condition ( looks mint ). Anyway, I'm a long time Tesoro owner. I have a Silver Sabre uMax a Bandido II u Max and of course the Cortes. I also had an Eldorado I sold a couple years ago.

The Bandido and Eldorado have "All Metal Mode with Manual Ground Balance" the SS does not. The "Threshold" on both the Eldo and BDII tune in as per book instruction.

As I was going over my Cortes I am having the same exact issue you are having. the "Threshold" is NOT a steady smooth hum but instead a more erratic buzz. I also had issues of the unit sounding off when it shouldn't have. At first I thought it was the coil so I changed it ( I have many ) didn't help, I then tried changing batteries ( even though they were new )still same problem. In the back of my mind i thought maybe it was picking up some electrical interference in my house. sense it's been so cold out I didn't try air testing outside.

I finally phoned Tesoro headquarters and will be sending the unit in for testing so It will be ready when the cold weather and snow in my area finally break.

After reading your post I'm thinking it maybe the way the Cortes is set up but I'm not sure. Anyway, my unit is still going out to have it looked over. I want to feel everything is ok when I break it in for the new season.

Post back to the thread as things play out for you. I would be very interested.

HH, Joe

Hi Joe, thanks, that is very interesting. If the other machines can balance out as they should , the Cortez should also. I'll notify Tesoro myself, and let you know what they have to say, thanks Gerry

If you have not already got this straightened out with Tesoro, I be happy to give a listen to your machine over the phone. I have used one since they came out and the threshold on mine has always been real smooth. Shoot me an email if your interested
badgermd@tds.net
Scully

Kidd
I am also very interested in your solution. I have a Vaquero and an Eldorado. I bought the Vaquero new and has a very smooth threshold. The Eldorado was purchased used and has the same problem as your Cortez. Also a minute turn on the ground balance knob changes it from a pos. to a neg. I took into the field and got the best GB I could get and it seemed to work OK otherwise. I bought it for my wife but the way it is I don

* In the air, adjust the threshold in the all metal mode until its like a mosquito buzzing in your ear.

* Make sure your not near any metal in the ground

* Bob the loop up and down 6" to 1" and adjust the ground balance control knob until the threshold sound is stable with no change TOWARD or AWAY from the ground as you BOB it.

* In the air, if your experiencing erratic behavior, its probably due to power line or magnetic noise. Tesoro's 10 kHz detectors are noisy around this interference. The Vaqueros, Tejons and Cibolas are much quieter.

* If your still having problems, contact your Tesoro Dealer for guidance and re-checking the detector.

* If NO Local Dealer, give me a call; Greg @ Trans Bay Metal Detectors
650-574-2012 Let me listen to the detector over your cell phone or cordless and I'll give you my opinion.

After speaking with the people at Tesoro. I have the problem solved. The town I live in is Nahant, MA. Its basically a big rock out in the ocean. Also, logan international airport is in direct line of sight of where I live. Between the rocky island, and the powerful airport radar, this accounted for the irratic beaviour of the tone. When I brought the machine to the town I work in, a boston suburb, the tone settled down, and I was able to ground balance. Although it was not a perfect steady tone, it was alot better. At this point, I am not going to send the machine in for testing, but I may have to try another machine that can better deal with the conditions I live around. Thanks to all for your offers of help. I am part of a great commun ity on this forum, Gerry