Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cortes ............... How is it ??

drmar

[size=medium]Help I do not see much written about the Cortes, what are your impressions, likes and dislikes. I have a Vaquero and love it, light, fun machine. I have been offered a New in the box Cortes for $400 and want to know should I get it. [/size]

That is a good deal on a new Cortes and hard to pass up. I owned a Cortes this last summer and it was a good detector, but the meter was really hard to see and it was very jumpy in trash. I have a Vaquero now and and think it is the best machine of the two. The Cortes should have tones and a manual ground balance in discrimination to justify the price they want for a new Cortes. In my opinion you have the best detector Tesoro makes now in the Vaquero. The Vaquero is deeper in my dirt than the Cortes by several inches and the Cortes is limited by only having ground balance in the all metal mode only. You could buy the Cortes and if it didn't work out, you could easily get your money back.....Good luck..

Roger

joe dirt_1 said:
That is a good deal on a new Cortes and hard to pass up. I owned a Cortes this last summer and it was a good detector, but the meter was really hard to see and it was very jumpy in trash. I have a Vaquero now and and think it is the best machine of the two. The Cortes should have tones and a manual ground balance in discrimination to justify the price they want for a new Cortes. In my opinion you have the best detector Tesoro makes now in the Vaquero. The Vaquero is deeper in my dirt than the Cortes by several inches and the Cortes is limited by only having ground balance in the all metal mode only. You could buy the Cortes and if it didn't work out, you could easily get your money back.....Good luck..

Roger

I agree for the price it should have a ground balance that works in Discriminate mode.
Also i have been told it does not work to hot out here on the west coast where our ground is not so great.
But if you are out on the east coast it would work great.

I went from a vaquero to a Cortes.... I didn't keep the Cortes for long.. Went back to a vaquero... If that says anything

That pretty much Takes any Tesoro Target ID detector off my list also.
Disappointed to say the least.
Oh well

The Cortes is a very nice machine. The only reason I don't keep one is because I'm hooked on tone id, and the Cortes only has tone id in the Sum mode. But for $400 bucks new in the box, I'd try it again for the 5th time. That is a great buy.

The TID range is great in my opinion. It has increased resolution in the lower conductive range where you need it most. The good gold targets hide down in that range as well as all the modern aluminum trash. The expanded range allows you to be more picky about the ranges you dig so you spend more time digging gold signals The only tone id units that I can get this expanded range on today are the Whites multi-frequency units (DFX/V3i) with Normalization turned off, or a Sovereign with a meter.

The Histograph is sweet as well and a functional feature. Most machines with a display only reflect a single averaged peak signal. The Cortes histograph gives you picture of all the peak signal averages. Very useful. The only other unit that works any better is the Whites V3i with the histograph resolution enhanced.

The Sum mode is a great feature. Often times you get multiple or bouncing readings due to various reasons. The Sum mode activates an averaging function that can give you a single id number for a target. Very helpful feature. The tones activated by the Sum mode tell you when it's giving you the best number. When you hunt deep targets, you find and isolate them in All Metal, then flip over to SUM and tease out a stable id.

Notch is notch, but if you notice, the Cortes gives you two tab segments. Round tab and Square tab. Notch narrow takes out the entire tab section and Notch wide include the zinc section. The primary function of the notch isn't to eliminate pull tabs. The primary function of the notch is to eliminate trash noise in high density trash locations. If you are hearing so much audio from metal objects in the ground that you can't process the good targets from the bad targets, then you might as well move on to another site. Activating a notch feature limits the audio input to something more manageable for your brain. Or maybe for your knees :shrug:

The Cortes is designed for the use of Discrimination mode in mild to moderate ground minerals. That is why the ground balance is fixed in the Discrimination mode. It is designed for the use of the All Metal mode in moderate high to heavy mineral ground conditions. High mineral require some form of user operated ground balance. The Ground balance on the Cortes is very functional in the All Metal mode and all the visual display information functions in the All Metal mode.

The Cortes is very sensitive and sometimes some discrimination is needed to kill some ground noise or micro trash noise in Disc mode. It also requires a good 1-1/2" of coil clearance above the ground. It is not a detector that you can hunt with by scrubbing the coil on the ground. It is tuned too hot for that and it will go into overload on every piece of surface trash or good target if you scrub the coil. It requires some coil control most folks don't never develop but is really needed for any machine to get the best from it.

Overall, as I stated at the beginning of the post, the Cortes really is a very nice unit and if you use it the way its designed to be used you would enjoy it's performance.

I have toyed with the idea of running a Golden and Cortes together on the same coil so I could hunt by tone with the Golden and then flip a switch and check a target's visual information with the Cortes. Got the stuff to do it, but no time. Maybe someday.

HH
Mike